User Tag List

Thread: Xml Databases

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Xml Databases

I want to create a little xml based cms and I want to store the data in an xml database, to be able to query it using the xquery and/or xpath. What its the best database right now to store xml data that is also open source (or free). Any good resources of learning how to work with xml databases. I prefer to work with php but python could be an option.

Thanks
    Looking for staff for AE Anime Forums, Site relaunch soon!!

Paradores | Yahoo pool cheats | web directory 1

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you specifically want a cms based on xml?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because I want to learn working with xml, xpath, xslt, etc, etc. I think doing it in a database that suport xml data storage and xquery would be the best.

I want to learn these technologies, regarless of what some pleople might think about them.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont know of any "XML Databases" but you can store XML data in a standard database like MSSQL/MySQL. Or, you can just develop your own strictly XML DB and write a program that knows how to put/get data into/out of it. An XML database would be much slower than a standard relational DB like MySQL/MSSQL though. It would only be suitable for small projects I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What exactly is an XML database?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://xml.apache.org/xindice/

this is one. I guess no-one around here has any experience with this stuff.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mainly because they are a bit experimental. I could see some situations where an XML database would be handy. Such as if you had some very heirarchical data you needed to persist.

In any case, you might want to take a look at what has become the more prevalent pattern in modern business applications:

1) Data lives in binary formats in native RDBMS stores and takes advantage of the ~30 years of development that has gone into making them fast as bejesus.
    2) Some processes access the data and expose it in a number of formats, including XML.
    3) Neat stuff is done with the exposed XML (and other stuff).

There still should be plenty of room for Xml Development, but the RDBMs stuff will still be around somewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not just have a play with SqlXml that comes with MS SQL 2000?

This allows you to utilize a great RDBMS and still get the full power of XML.. you can even use XPath with it, and don;t even get me started on the beauty of DiffGrams and UpdateGrams
    .NET Code Monkey

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only have linux hosting, Also Im not going to pay for a windows server/ mssql server licence to learn stuff for fun.

I just wanted to work with all xml related technologies and see what I could come up with.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kalius
    I want to create a little xml based cms and I want to store the data in an xml database, to be able to query it using the xquery and/or xpath. What its the best database right now to store xml data that is also open source (or free). Any good resources of learning how to work with xml databases. I prefer to work with php but python could be an option.
    Hi, IMHO the correct answer depends on What kind of data your CMS will work with and How, but not how the data should be stored (it's the answer itself). For many cases that require XML validation, transformation and other operations with XML, RDBMS are more than enough

Quote Originally Posted by kalius
    Because I want to learn working with xml, xpath, xslt, etc, etc. I think doing it in a database that suport xml data storage and xquery would be the best.
    As wwb_99 already said, some commercial RDBMS including Oracle can present data (in fact, you may quite easily store objects, UDPs and hierarchies too) stored in tables as XML, for instance, by mapping columns to attributes (this is called "XML enabled" database) besides storing XML in CLOB columns. Oracle also provides access to XML data for transformations using Java API, extensions to its SQL statements and SQL/XML including built-in support for XPath, XQuery, SOAP, and many more if i'm not mistaken. Unfortunately, i don't work with Oracle, but i would started with it because of its features, popularity and availability (the 3rd place among MySQL and MSSQL) on *nix hosting with Apache and PHP. But if you already changed your mind to use native XML database...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)