SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Business plan resources for y'all

Lately I've been working every moment of my spare time on a business plan for my retail store, so I've found some resources that might be of interest to folks. Some of you who have asked me about business planning for web developers might be interested in this.

There is an amazing free service available at SmartOnline.com . Their web applications will guide you through an extremely detailed business planning process--plus they have lots of other free tools. It doesn't cost until you want to print or in some other way produce a copy of the document.

Of course, an integral part of doing business planning is market research. You can get an idea of your target markets by using the service at MapScape.com , based on 1990 census data. That data is free, you only have to pay if you want year 2000 data.

Something you might also want as you start planning and trying to sell yourself is a targeted list of businesses in your area. I've checked out the service at AccuLeads.com and it seems really solid and fairly inexpensive. They can deliver a list over the internet, so you get it right away. I was researching getting a list of about 1000 consumers and it looked like it would cost me about $100. (I didn't check out the price for getting a list of businesses, though.) But, with a list in hand that you've selected for business size or whatever criteria fits your market, you should be able to make back a hundred bucks fairly quickly, with even one new client.

Just some ideas! Note: I'm not affiliated in any way with these companies, just a plain-'ol user of their services. Please let me know if you have any questions about this or about business planning. (Which, by the way, if you've never done it before, is an incredibly hard process. Yikes.)

Sarah
    InformationSavant - developing intelligent web business
    StrangePegs.com - collectible cards, games, toys, comics

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Sarah! A useful set of bookmarks if ever I saw one

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.