SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast alternativerage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Streaming media question...

As most of you know, I have my own online radio station. I just changed the transfer from 64KPBS to 54... should I have lowered the quality to allow more users or am I sacrificing too much? I think that the quality is barely noticeable in difference, however, I do fear that I may lose my broadband listeners. While this number will be offset by the number of dial up listeners that can now tune in... do you think I'm making a mistake to risk losing my current audience to tap into a much larger one?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can you not have both options?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Realistically I could, however, the cost for broadcasting on both, probably wouldn't be outweighed by the difference in income. Which is the issue that I am running into. Basically, I can either do one or the other.. and I don't know if I should keep this format or go with the 64kbps which my dedicated users all use currently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gave it a listen and did a quick A/B comparison with the sound coming out of my iPod with my mp3's encoded at 192kbps.

The sound from your site sounded constrained, compressed and tonally altered, while my mp3's sounded open and natural.

But it's not that simple, because you might play something I don't have on mp3. Also, I'm not in your target demographic.

When we had building work done last year, our builders had a cheap little AM radio that they turned up to full volume while they worked, and it sounded completely horrible, but they were satisfied by it.
    work: revs | ecru
    reviews: films | mp3s
    projects: Glastonbury Tor | London IT support

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    []
    []
    Last edited by AnOmAlY_; Sep 23, 2005 at 08:47.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, 64kbps is pretty much a cd quality sound.... so I'm not sure if going anything higher than that would be all that great of an idea, especially from a bandwidth perspective. In fact, I don't think that the additional quality would really warrant such a jump, as most other radio stations are operating between 32 and 64 themselves... It would almost be a complete waste, unless I could somehow counteract the bandwidth costs through advertising income... but then I would have to cloud my station with ads, which I have thus far fought from doing.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    64kbps isnt even close to CD audio quality. I have to have everything in 320kbps or I cant listen to it as the quality hurts my ears. CD quality would be around 192kbps.