User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MS SQL: DTS Import, problem auto-generating PK

Hello,

I'm trying to copy table data from one source to another, and cannot seem to figure out how to get the new identity PK to auto-generate (old table does not have this column, so I can't just copy it over). I was assuming if I copied data over, it would automatically generate the PK, but it is not, and is giving me this error: "Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'programID'; table 'sandbox.dbo.Programs'; column does not allow NULLs. INSERT FAILS". My settings for the data transformation are currently:

Keep Null Values (unchecked)
    Check Constraints (checked)
    Table Lock (unchecked)
    Enable Identity Insert (unchecked) -- I've also tried import with this checked, per another thread, but still get same error
    Always commit final batch (unchecked)

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, in DTS Import/Export wizard, select "Create destination table" radio button on [Column Mappings and Transformations] window/step, push [Edit SQL] button and add DDL for required PK column with IDENTITY property. Check Column Mappings and Transformations and CREATE TABLE for IDENTITY syntax

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Tangerine Dream, that worked!

I used the Create Table option, copied in the table creation script, and then I had to add a DROP TABLE command before CREATE TABLE since my table already existed.

Thanks again!