SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which type of advertisment would mean more to you?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Postcard

10 90.91%
  • Flyer in an envelope

1 9.09%
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Postcards vs. Envelopes

I have developed a web based application and I am in the process of getting ready to advertise it. I am fairly sure that I will be going with some sort of direct mail campaign and I was wondering what people thought about using postcards or using a flyer/letter in an envelope.

I know there are positives and negatives for both, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions/experience as to which I should go with. Or which I might get a better response with.

Houston, Tejas; Future Capital of the World
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From someone that get's lots of promo literature everyday, I say go for postcards.

I toss out 90% of "junk mail" I get in envelopes without opening them (I see how they are addressed or who the return party is). Postcards at least get more of a glance before I toss them, because you can see the info right away and the color/picture side has a chance to make an impact.

Also the cost for mailing postcards (especially by bulk) is much cheaper than envelopes.
    Brian Poirier
    SunStockPhoto: Stock Photos, Fine Art Photos, Event Photography

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely Postcards.

Sure it is very limited in what you can put on it, but you have a MUCH higher read rate and even if it goes straight to the garbage, they may see some of the info along the way whereas an envelope they wouldn't.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Postcards, more creative and personal

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtopher
    I have developed a web based application and I am in the process of getting ready to advertise it. I am fairly sure that I will be going with some sort of direct mail campaign and I was wondering what people thought about using postcards or using a flyer/letter in an envelope.

I know there are positives and negatives for both, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions/experience as to which I should go with. Or which I might get a better response with.
    I'm working on a postcard campaign myself and I agree with most of the reasons others here have given for using them. I plan on using 5.5 x 8.5 cards to make them stand out more so my postage costs will be the same as a letter, but they'll certainly be easier to produce compared to stuffing letters in envelopes.
    Web Designer or Small Business Owner?
    Need More Leads and More Clients?
    Get Free Marketing Tips, Tricks and Ideas Here!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would also say postcards. Make the card unique and make it stand out. People will take notice.
    Sara

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the amount of direct mail that an average person receives, postcards would have a better chance of surviving the trip to the trash bin. Just make sure that the post card is not only catches the eye of the person but should be able to provide the pertinent info the person may need.

Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a recommendation for the design services - give designoutpost.com a try - very talanted people over there..
    Tutorials Search Engine: FindTutorials

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with everyone else here, postcards will give you the best read rate (even if that is low itself). A postcard shows the pertinent information right away and, with the right design, can catch the recipient's attention to get them to read it.

An added benefit of going with a postcard versus a mailing piece is that you are forced to be short and concise. Direct mail should be used to get the attention of the recipient and intrigue them enough to find out more. You don't need to explain the product/service in detail, that is what the follow-up information or lead is for on the mailing. The needs to be something to catch their attention (photo, saying, something), a benefit/solution the recipient may need, short description of what it is/does and then a call to action (visit www for more details, call our 800 number to set up a free consultation, download a free demo of the software, etc).

A brochure would be used for someone who knows your product/service and wants to know more about it ... a postcard is better for notifying the client of something they don't know about. It's cheaper, less likely to be thrown without viewing, and (in my experience) has a higher turn-around rate. Definitely go with a postcard.
    Kevin Hauge : Modern Leaf Design : Follow Us on Facebook
    Client Axis v.08 - client / project management script

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Postcards definetely...

Direct mail is a killer though from a response perspective and cost perspective.

Invest the money and get yourself a good copywriter for your postcard/website.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that postcards are probably the best solution, but they need to be eyecatching, well designed (with an attractive picture), and provide some sort of immediate benefit to users who visit your website. You need to tell people in as few words as possible (preferrably point form) why they need what you are offering.

You might even want to include some sort of coupon code right on the postcard (eg. Save 10% when you enter this code, etc.), and give it an expiry date so as to motivate the receiver to act quickly.

Good luck with the mailing.
    -- Jeremy Maddock
    SEOMix.com - Search Engine Optimization Tips
    My Blog - Business, tech, and politics from a webmaster's perspective

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree about putting some sort of coupon code on there, and sell the sizzle not the sausage..
    Benefits to them not what the service is or about you.

Try getting it printed so it looks like it is handwritten, people will read it then. people see a printed page and dump it..

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People collect postcards, so you may actually have people keeping them. No one collects flyres.

I say go with postcards because in the end they'll probably be cheaper, they'll see the message without having to open it (people don't open junkmail), and they might find it interesting. Make sure that it will stand out among all the other mail though.