User Tag List

Thread: CPU fan fail

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CPU fan fail

So I moved my older comp and set it up in a new room, and when I turn it on it says "cpu fan fail powering down in 5 seconds" However I have opened the case and the fans are running full speed. I cleaned them out an plugged them back in, turned the power on, and I still get the same error. Anyone ever see anything like this before?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The CPU fan might be plugged into the wrong socket on the motherboard. Can you tell us what motherboard you have? Can you get into the BIOS setup screen? You may be able to disable this or see the diagnostics.

It could be that the signal on the fan itself stopped working - and you'll tell if it says 0 rpm when it's actually spinning.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WEll I never moved where it was plugged in. So its in teh right socket as it worked last time.

As far as the BIOS I am not sure how to get into there.

I kind of shook the heat sync where the cpu is and plugged it back in and now it works. I did this after a friend said it was probably the cpu itself and not the fan at all.

For future reference how do I check out the BIOS again? Isnt that some F key on startup?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is usually pressing the Del key on startup (press it repeatedly as it needs to be pressed at just the right time). On some systems it can be the F1 key or Esc key, or try the other function keys.

Sounds like it may have been a faulty connection in the signal of the fan - wiggling the power supply might have fixed it for now.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff