SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A variation on Mac vs PC

Hi everyone

OK, I dont want this to be dragged into yet another PC vs Mac war however, I have some advice to ask.

I currently develop, maintain and run my own popular website. I need a new low cost laptop computer. I need it to be able to run Dreamweaver, and on occasion, Photoshop.

My current dilemma is what to choose from:

HP 6110

(663.87 GBP)

or

Apple iBook G4, 1.33Ghz, 12" screen

I can get this at 656.83 GBP

My concerns are thus:

I know you cant directly compare, but will I notice a drop in speed with the 1.33 Apple compared to the 1.7 PC?

Secondly - how do you think I will get on with just a 12" screen compared to a 15"?

I am looking at the Mac for reliability and usability issues but to me, it seems like the PC is the better deal, buck for buck?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well apples processors seem to work faster even if its a lower Ghz. Weird huh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say the iBook but only if you are getting it with 512mb of memory or more. I think thats the minimum you should aim for considering you are going to want to use photoshop and dreamweaver.

I would however say that the iBook is the better of the two but thats just my opinion.

fad (n): a craze; interest... Fahd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a designer, I would think screen size is pretty important? Though I use a PB12" and love it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

The ibook will be supplied with 512MB for the price stated above. Apart from my concerns regarding a lesser performance with the Mac, the screen size is 12 inches compared to the 15 inches offered by the PC. Could anyone with experience working with 12" screens offer their opinions on this?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm, the PC is using shared GFX memory by the look of things. Wouldn't dedicated RAM a better idea for design work?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do web design fine on my 12" iBook. I got it before these new models came out, so I had to upgrade my RAM. I'm going to second the iBook, and if you're going with it you should get a hard disk upgrade - it will be worth it later on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So do people think that in general, a 12" screen compared to a 15" screen is a worthwhile compromise in order to have a Mac rather than a PC?

Also I am still hesitant with the fact the PC is 1.7g whilst the Mac is 1.33g - will the speeds really be comparable?!?

fad (n): a craze; interest... Fahd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think the speed will be that big of an issue, provided you get sufficient RAM. Have you used a MAC before as it could take a little time to get used to? I love the 12" screen and the portability of the PB, however, I don't use it for design, just simple browsing and email so size doesn't really matter to me.

Why don't you go to a best buy or similar store and play with both laptops to see which one you like better?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think the mac with its 1.33 will perform faster than the pc with a 1.7ghz. I don't know the exact numbers but a mac 1.33ghz is comparable at least to a pc 2.5-3ghz. the only thing that might hold you back is the ram (assuming your price is based on the base model). tiger uses a lot more ram than panther (the previous OSX) does.

I think the 12" will be fine. I have a 15" powerbook which i love, but i've also worked on a 12" iBook and had no problems with the size. That's what expose is for.

And you can always hook up a second monitor. At my desk i have an lcd that i plug into my powerbook whenever i'm doing some serious designing or coding and feel i need a little more screen real estate. You can pick them up pretty cheap on ebay or at fry's (think i got a 19" for $70 once at fry's).

my suggestion: iBook, but bump up the ram to 1gb if possible. you'll love working with the mac, its definately worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a iBook 12" and I can design fine on it.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MG315
    i think the mac with its 1.33 will perform faster than the pc with a 1.7ghz. I don't know the exact numbers but a mac 1.33ghz is comparable at least to a pc 2.5-3ghz. the only thing that might hold you back is the ram (assuming your price is based on the base model). tiger uses a lot more ram than panther (the previous OSX) does.
    the 1.7 Penium Mobile runs most applications at the same speed as a 2.8 P4. It is quite simply a far better CPU than the P4. If the 2.8 works faster than the 1.3PPC chip then the PC will likely be quicker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah, yeah i forgot we were talking about the M's. those are real nice processors

but i still don't think there will be a noticable difference in speed. If the mac runs slow, it will be because of the ram, not the processor. 512 is more than enough ram for OSX 10.3, but when you upgrade to 10.4 you'll get a lot more spinning beachballs.

you could get the 512, then if you notice its running kinda slow buy some ram yourself and install it. from what i hear its real easy (there's another thread in this forum where someone recently explained to me how to install new ram. something like "is tiger necessary")

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

So from beginning to be convinced of the power of the Mac, I am now thinking that as the laptop is of the mobile processor variety it will certainly run applications faster than the Mac?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i know 1.3ghz iBook is faster than my 3ghz pc desktop. i haven't tried out a pc using the pentium M, but i assume the speed would be comparable to the iBook's. I never knew a 1.7ghz Pentium M was any different from any other pc processor. I thought the main reason to go for the M was that it didn't use much power. but if the iBook is slower, it will definately not be noticably slower...

why not just go to an apple store and try one out? they usually have every design program already installed on them. they will at least have the entire adobe suite, macromedia suite, and final cut suite. you should get a feeling for the speed of the computer from that.

..back with a vengeance... Ingoal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MG315
    i know 1.3ghz iBook is faster than my 3ghz pc desktop
    Off Topic:

Well, I would say that that's an really subjective statement...if you would have said my 2GHz G5 is faster than my 3GHz pc I could have believed it...

on another note: a badly configured pc will always be slower than a perfectly packed notebook (Mac or PC based)

Advisor - Community Team
    CHD-magician + + =
    Some of my sites: [1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10]
    Newest site: ZZ.GD - t dsn't gt mch shrtr thn tht

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i know it's completely subjective, just like all other comparisons. but that's the comparison to MY pc. you can't do a real comparison because how do you define "faster?" every program will be different, especially when you consider some programs are designed for pc and ported to the mac, while others are designed for mac and ported to the pc.

that's why i don't really like these speed comparisons. all these pc's and laptops will be pretty close in general speed. some apps will go faster, some will go slower. but i've found that over time, a mac's speed stays pretty much the same while a pc's degrades (mostly due to spyware and programs running in the background). that's why when i used a pc i formatted at least every 6 months, just to keep it clean and running normally. haven't had the same problem with my mac (granted, i've only had it for 8 months)

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know you cant directly compare, but will I notice a drop in speed with the 1.33 Apple compared to the 1.7 PC?
    No. They should operate at a similar speed. If you are worried though, drop by an Apple Store and test an iBook out.