SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is This Possible?

Okay, I'm basically a complete newbie to PHP. I'm starting to learn a little more everyday, but I still don't know jack about it as of yet.

Here's what I need to do (and no I don't have a URL or any code as of yet)...this is going to be a little lengthy probably...

I'm setting up an authentication system for my employer for our web site. We're an association with lots of members. What we do is we send each member a little card that has two numbers on it...let's say for example an Individual Member ID # for the specific person that we send it to and a Member Company ID # for the company they work for.

Now let's say I have a populated table in a database that contains around 6,000+ of these combinations of numbers. Whenever a user signs up and types in these two numbers found on their card, I want the authentication system to scan the pre-populated table and make sure the numbers in those two fields are a correct combination. If they're not, it'll give an error message and if they are correct, it'll let them proceed with the registration if their other information is correct as well.

One way I could do this is to make them sign in using one number as the login, the other number as the password and then allow them to change it from a profile page or something, BUT we want to allow multiple accounts to be created using one combination of numbers that would only appear once in the pre-populated table.

Hehe, did I lose anyone? Just wondering if I can do it with PHP/MySQL and if so, what some of the key commands are that I will need to use. TIA!
    Fuseblown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you can, yes, although I'm not sure if I fully understand what you're trying to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you can do it, but what do you mean by 'key commands'?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by delemtri
    I think you can, yes, although I'm not sure if I fully understand what you're trying to do.
    Yeah I kinda drug out that message more than I needed to, I'm sure.

Basically the numbers on the card have to match the numbers in the pre-populated table (they have to be a correct combination; individual/company), else they can't successfully create the User Name and Password to log into the protected area of the site.
    Fuseblown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Abstraction
    Yes, you can do it, but what do you mean by 'key commands'?
    The PHP strings that I need to use in order to do it.
    Fuseblown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Fuseblown

The PHP strings that I need to use in order to do it.
    Do you mean the PHP code to do this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you mean the PHP code to do this?
    Commands, strings, scripts, code, whatever you wanna call it.
    Fuseblown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your company doesn't have someone to do the coding? Last I checked, most people don't work for free.

I am sure if you have a specific question people will be more than happy to answer it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your company doesn't have someone to do the coding? Last I checked, most people don't work for free.

I am sure if you have a specific question people will be more than happy to answer it.
    You're looking at him. That's why I said I only wanted the KEY COMMANDS to do it...I don't want someone to write the entire thing for me...I just need some pointers to get started. Dang.
    Fuseblown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Fuseblown

You're looking at him. That's why I said I only wanted the KEY COMMANDS to do it...I don't want someone to write the entire thing for me...I just need some pointers to get started. Dang.
    Sorry, I misunderstood your meaning.

The first step I would take is to compare the numbers the usere enters to the database. If they are correct let them create an acount.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's going to be kinda hard to code something like that if you don't know php
    but, there's a good book called PHP fast & easy web development by julie meloni
    it's a great book for the kind of thing you want..user authentification...and very easy to understand
    hope this helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by ErikN
    It's going to be kinda hard to code something like that if you don't know php
    but, there's a good book called PHP fast & easy web development by julie meloni
    it's a great book for the kind of thing you want..user authentification...and very easy to understand
    hope this helps
    Hello --

I am learning it by tearing apart other code examples, etc. Moving along nicely. So I do know a little bit of PHP and I have a couple of books and that is one of 'em But I didn't see the kind of thing that I'm talking about in it...
    Fuseblown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read the parts about user authentification, and the 'contacts management' chapters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by ErikN
    Read the parts about user authentification, and the 'contacts management' chapters
    Thanks, I'll look for it this afternoon. Wouldn't it be under the registration form part though? What I'm talking about needs to be done whenever the user is creating a new account, not after the account is created.
    Fuseblown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ya, i cant remember which chapters exactly...read this article - http://www.webmasterbase.com/article.php/319