SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auto email responders

I'm half posting this on behalf of somebody else but I would like to know too really.
    Basically how you'd go about creating an auto responder for emails sent to X address or whatever.

Preferably using a php script from the shell or something. C or perl or something would be okay though. I'm not too knowledgeable about these things but any suggestions or places where you can download such programs would be cool.

Ta

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if this will help you out or not, but most email clients have an auto responder built in.

Otherwise all you would need to do is when you recieve a new email, reply to it with your auto-reply message. I guess the trick is figuring out when you recieve an email.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say it's more of a server thing needed than a personal one. If there was a helpdesk, for instance, where people sent emails and they could be answered by anybody on that team and then deleted by anyone it might be useful to send off and auto reply. It would also be useful to add dynamic things to do with the site into that email which you also couldn't do from the mail client. There are probably lots of different email addresses that this needs doing. It would also be a useful thing to know, so if anybody has any ideas, do tell.

Thanks by the way I didn't actually know that so it'll be useful for most purposes anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this is an old topic, But I never really got an answer. It might be because nobody had one, but I'm going to bring it back up because I'm sure somebody who did might have missed it and I would really like to know the answer.

Sorry if this is against some kind of etiquette.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it would help if we knew what system/software you are using to do this.