SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leaflets and Flyers and Brochures (oh my!)

Greetings.

As part of the planned promotional drive for our new media consultancy business, my business partner and I are looking into producing some hard-copy promotional material to ship out to potential clients.

Before I start to write any of the material, which I'm thinking will be an offline guide to our services and what we can offer, i'm wondering if anyone else is planning or is using anything similar for their design business? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the idea, and experiences you've had and any tips you can share for making which is a pretty large investment at this stage a success.

Thanks in advance, I'll look forward to the replies.

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've done that sorta.

We created an affiliate program where if you referrered a client to us you get 10% of what they pay us.

I live near the biggest university in the US (land wise) and we made up a bunch of fliers and I peppered campus with them trying to get students to sign up.

We had very little success. I put up 100's of fliers and they were seen by thousands of people. We got maybe 3 signups, and those 3 signups haven't sent us a client.

We let other business joins a well, only we gave them a 20% commission. And that is going rather well. One business is an ISP and they get asked all the time about webpages, so they refer those people to use, and get a hefty commission.

So the actual flier thing didn't work.

I think the best way to advertise a design business is using more targetted offline promotion.

If you can advertise in a local newspaper in the business section. Or send letters to local business owners, or advertise in a local Chamber of Commerce (business owner's group) monthly member publication or what have you. I think those methods bring in the best results.

Also joining business owner groups is a good way to make contacts as well.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Zealot Jason_Therrien's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdy!

We use brochures and offline material, but that is only used on a targeted audience. We give out material to potential clients who aren't going to make a decision right away or are shopping around.

A surprising number of online companies don't create much (if any) offline material. Companies/Individuals still want to read over material at their leisure, not to mention remember what you are trying to sell them.

Depending on how broad your audience is, mass mailings are usually quite expensive for new businesses. We always take info out with us on cold calls and send it out when companies call in for information.

A nice looking brochure with a business card and some letter head can be a great start and go a long way in getting your name out to potential customers.

GOOD LUCK!!

Jason
    www.SmartWebBusiness.com
    Where 'smart' businesses go to learn about the Web

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what we were thinking. We get a lot of generic enquiries basically asking for quotes for projects. We thought, if we produced a high-quality pack to send out to potentials, it's re-inforce the sale and put over a professional image.

We've just ordered some letterhead and business cards, and have compliments slips under development. Appearing professional is just as important as being professional I think

I'm glad you guys think we're going about it the right way. Thanks for the input.

Ady

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Ady,

Mailshots have a low conversion rate, but if you are thinking of a targetted campaign, you could hit all SME's in your area that either do not have an e-mail address, or advertise with a third party (ie theirco@hotmail.com) type addy. You could add other criteria (minimum turnover, number of staff, type of industry broken down by sic code).

If you worked that cleverly, you could get high conversions.
    Try www.blhumber.co.uk ( info@blhumber.co.uk ) for details on obtaining the data (it will cost you but shouldn't hurt much), or even www.marketscan.co.uk .

H
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers H,

I'd actually looked at Market Scan, but your idea of highly targetting mailshots is certainly worth a try.

I've just discovered there's an initiative at http://www.ukon4b-humber.co.uk/ to aid the development of Information Communications Technology businesses in my area. I think we may loosely fall into that category so i'm going to give them a call and see what they can offer in terms of help and advice.

Ady

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use a direct marketing approach. We have two people on telemarketing that call potential clients and just ask if we can send them some information via fax. We fax over a 1 page document that briefs out services and call back in a few days to set up an appt.

If we don't set up an appt. we send them a letter about a month later just letting them know that if they need our services where we are (phone, fax, email, etc.)

It's worked pretty well for us (we've gotten almost all of our clients that way) and it's a low cost method (just using their fax toner and a stamp on a letter)