SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Win95 Optimizer/Fixer

I have an old IBM 560E Thinkpad that's running Win95, 166 Pentium, and 32 MB RAM and I want to make it run smoother, but I have a few problems. Whenever I startup, I get an error saying it cannot find the vnetsup.vxd file - I can bypass it by hitting <Enter>, but that is annoying. I also get an error while programs are starting up saying it cannot find the msnp32.dll file (which I am asssuming is associated with MSN, which I removed).

I tried to run the disk defragmenter and it told me there were errors and I needed to run ScanDisk. So I did in regular Windows, it froze. So I ran ScanDisk in DOS and it did report some errors that were fixed. I booted back into Windows, and still got the two startup errors described above. I then tried running the disk defragmenter a second time and it still told me I needed to correct errors first.

What I am looking for a good program that will scan my registry and fix errors, as well as missing application files. Since this is such an old computer with no power, I can't install something like Norton on it, I don't think. Anyone have any recommendations? Or should I try a dirty reinstall of Windows?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I've had errors like that and they've been fixed by doing a reinstall of windows.

You could always try a registry cleaning like Microsoft RegClean:
    http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0...lst-7-1.881470

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great, thanks for that link. How would I go about doing a reinstall over the existing Windows so I don't lose any data or settings without my original Windows CD? This laptop was donated to me and no CD was given with it.

e=2.718281828459045235360 HyperBaseball's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried taking those files off of another computer and copying them over? That will fix the problem... I had a friend who had the same ordeal.
    Jason Unger is me.
    "Homer no function beer well without"
    http://www.jasonunger.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    copying the files over should work (or extracting them from the cabs) or removing all network components, restarting and reinstalling them.

also, if this involves your dial-up connection, check this article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q166/8/32.ASP
    אין סוף

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link, Russ - that sounds like my symptoms.