SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist lance_vincent's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AGP compatibility

i wanted to upgrade my video card, which ia a 64mb gf4 mx440 which is agp4x. my motherboard is supports agp4x, now i have here an agp8x card, an inno3d 128mb video card,i heard that the card wont work properly with such lower agp support?is this true?
    then..

1. if my current 64 mb card works 100%, how much will a 128 agp8x will work better compared? will it work 200% better because of its doubled memory? or because the board cant catch up, it will only work up to 150% or something?

2. if an agp8x card be used on an agp4x, will it only work abt 80% or something?

3. about gaming, when your playing like a first person shooter and your facing the part of the map wherein theres a lot to be rendered like your target, the screen lags a little or so, but if you turn your back at them, the game gets fast.
    lets say when your backing them, theyre walking towards you fast, but when they walk towards you facing them, it takes ages. what could be the problem here? it is low on video or memory or cpu?

logically, when you turn your back at them,the cpu can compute all its things, so im thinking its about the video? correct me if im wrong

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy rushiku's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    0- The 8x should work fine, it depends on the card and whether or not it supports 4x (it most likely does)

1-The 8x will work better because it's a newer card, which means a better GPU, which means more pixels may be rendered in less time. The extra memory means the card has to request textures from the system less often, which also increases rendering speed. (more time to spend on working instead of spending time getting 'supplies')

2-The 8x will not be able to work to it's full potential because of the 4x bus bottleneck.

3-What you're describing is called 'culling'. Basically, the system decides whether you (the player) can see the objects it is about to render, if they are off-screen or behind another object that is closer to you, the object will not be rendered (it is 'culled' from the to-be-rendered list for the current frame). So, if you turn your back on something, it's no longer drawn, which saves GPU time, which results in more frames per second.

Now, if you could just shoot over your shoulder

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

wow, thanks for the reply man!! now i made up my mind on upgrading, thanks a lot!!!

I forgot to instant email notification, i thought noone has read my post, hehehe,

thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    another question, the card says about it being 128mb or 64 mb, ryt? but its accompanied by another 128bit/64 bit? whats it got do do and what it does? whats it effect?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy rushiku's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    128 or 64 bit describes the pipeline width. Think of a highway with a lane representing each bit of width and you'll get the idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i see thanks a lot, pal..