SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Resume writing for web/software jobs

Hi,
    I've come to that stage where I'm now moving my life back down to England from where I currently live (Wales) and it's time to bite the biscuit and take a serious look at my resume and re-target it for the jobs I'm trying to apply for.

I would greatly appreciate it if anybody could point me in the direction of resume examples that they have found successful in presenting your skills, strengths and positive attitudes towards the industry.

If required I can post a copy of my resume later on (need to find all my XSL files to convert my CV into readable formats).

Thanks in advance,
    - Harry

SitePoint Addict Richard Conyard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not got any examples, but from previous experience I'd be tempted to do two. One for recruitment agents and one for their clients. The reason for the agents is that from previous experience they normally have no idea about the skills they are selling and really just need a checklist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh ok, so one to penetrate the HR barrier Actually heard that tip before somewhere but didn't quite realize why - but taking that into consideration when posting to online job search sites I can see how jamming your resume with keywords can be helpful.

In the past interviews that I've done I've created a seperate CV for every job which elaborated more on the aspects their interested in, and a cover letter to complement it.

SitePoint Addict Richard Conyard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back a few years ago I got refused to be put forward for a position by an agent. The trouble was that despite a CSV brimming with web projects, asp, jsp, cgi, etc. I didn't have HTML on there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Check out this recent post on Cover letters: http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281785

A cover letter can be as important as your resume. I don't know of any good online samples, but you are welcome to send me yours and I'd be happy to take a look at it and offer any suggestions.
    Sara

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some professional resume samples and before / after professional resume writing samples among other stuff....

http://www.bestresumewriters.com/for...splay.php?f=94

Good luck,

Miraculix

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Harry. Post your resume and cover letter so that we can review it. We will check it for spelling, grammar and other errors and also will be able to give you suggestions and tips on how to improve your resume and cover letter.
    --------------------------
    In just 3 1/2 minutes you will have an
    amazing cover letter... without writing
    a word. Click here:
    'Instant' Cover Letters Without Writing!
    Last edited by Christine_69; Aug 11, 2005 at 23:58.