User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help needed urgently in php coding

Hi folks,
    I am Graduate student here in USA. I am required to develop a script for a particular purpose for my boss. The purpose is; my boss has a nearly 100 pdf files listed in his homepage. I was asked to provide him the ability to download a selected list of those 100 pdf files at a time by providing check box for each pdf file listing, ie., like say if the files are numbered from 1-100 and if someone wants to download files 5,9,23,67,80 and 90 by clicking a 'download' button at the end of the page, he should be able to download them one by one simultaneously. I hope u can understand my question. Please help me how to use php coding or anyother web server scripting to get this application done.
    Please reply me urgently as I have due date for this work near by.

Kapil

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

help with coding

Quote Originally Posted by kapildev
    due date for this work near by
    When did this get assigned? What program of study are you in? Or did you accept a job you're not qualified for? I find it very difficult to believe that a professor would give such an assignment without allowing for adequate time to someone unfamiliar with coding. I think most here would say they didn't learn over-night, in fact I think the majority would say learning is on-going. If you want to buy code you should post in the SitePoint Marketplace -> Looking to Hire forum. Although buying an assignment is unethical, oops, so is getting it for free. And unfair to both parties.

OK, If you want help, please forgive my ranting. Remember Google is your friend As are the PHP docs http://www.php.net/docs.php and the database docs http://dev.mysql.com/doc/
    And check out at least the free chapters of http://www.sitepoint.com/books/phpmysql1/

For the user interface aspect of the project you're going to need HTML
    For the funtionality PHP and (I assume) MySQL

You already have a good start, you know what your app needs to do. So don't despair. Try the samples from the SP book to get a feel for things and post back.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

help with coding

Hi Mittineague,
    thanks for ur constructive criticism but i am not asking to make someone do my assignement but i am asking to help me with a part of my assignment and I think there is no point of asking if i am qualified for the job and stuff like that.

Kapil

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

help with php coding

I'm sorry I misunderstood your post and came across harsh. I thought you were saying that you didn't know basic beginning HTML, PHP, or MySQL fundamentals, and had a major app project to complete in very little time. Post snippets of the code you have so far and I'll be glad to help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is an idea. Why don't you zip the selected files? That way user only needs to download 1 file instead of getting prompt window for each pdf file (if I understood your problem correctly).

User select the files --> user click submit --> zip the files in the background --> send HTTP header to force download the zip file

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi mittineague,
    its ok. i dont have developed any code for this part. if i get any particular view i can go with that and so i am looking for that and by the way battra has some good idea so let me ask him how i can do that.

hi battra,
    u have a good idea but let me know how i can zip those files just from coding and how i can force download them on one click.

thanks,
    kapil

011110010110000101111001 jabird's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw something just exactly like battra explained, and I was about to suggest it until I saw him... perhaps google for "zipping files with php" and see what you get.
    ~Jabird
    Jabird.com
    If I were binary... I'd be all 1's for you.
    BBCode trouble?