SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Opera has between 10 and 15 million active users.
    HAHA!

Show me 15m people dumb enough to pay for a browser.

whoops, AOL.
    Logo Design & Identity Branding Consultant.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're on Windows the text-to-speech and speech commands are great, but on OS X you already have one (and the voice is only on Windows anyways).

Not to mention it also takes up too much screen properties. I like my minimal Firefox. Regarding code part, I've came up more with glitches in Opera but not Firefox or even IE6.

Firefox is just right for everyday user. Opera seems confusing to some of my ordinary friends.
    I'm not sure that you can deem the errors by Opera. Opera is one of the larger CSS influences and their browser supports more CSS and standards than most other web browsers. If you design with correct standards in mind you may not have any problems.

I don't think that you can argue with glitches in Opera or Firefox. Sure there are a few differences, but just because say Opera has a padding on <body> and Firefox doesn't mean that Opera has a glitch. The same thing goes with Firefox putting a padding on <ul> where no other browser does. I don' think that these minor differences are much to freak out over. Positioning works the same in Opera and Firefox, which I think is what matters the most.

Now here is where I bring up something that I do all the time with people I know who don't want to use Firefox or Opera. They always say that it is too complex. I laugh and tell them this story.

I have a family computer that most of my younger siblings use. I took some time one day to clean up the computer and I installed Firefox along side Opera for my younger siblings to use as I figured that it might be easier for them. They used Firefox with no problems.

Not too long ago I reinstalled Windows and did everything I knew to secure the computer. I chose to only have Opera with settings that would block popups and keep out tricky features for some people like mouse guesters. They used Opera with no problems.

I have reittered to many people (such as my stepdad) that IE is what gives your computer the most viruses due to insecurity and such. They usually say that they cannot learn a new piece of software. A freaking six/seven year old little girl used IE, Firefox, and Opera all with no problems. Tell me again that you cannot use another browser?

Sure maybe Opera has more settings and such, but if you cannot figure out how to use its interface then I don't know how you passed high school. It isn't quantum physics. I switched from IE to Opera a few years ago and I figured out everything quite quickly. I had some problems with Firefox with keyboard shortcuts, but even I fixed that with some Googleing. I don't think that Opera has a hard to use interface and if you cannot figure it out, good luck with finishing your schooling.

I don't find Firefox better for the developer. Opera has many features to test websites in small screen, presentation, without style sheets, etc. Sure you can get these features with the webdev toolbar thing for FF (not sure the exact name), but Opera has these all built in default.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder how Opera would do if it would be free.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy KLB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShytKicka
    I wonder how Opera would do if it would be free.
    Truly free as in no ads and no registration fee like Firefox? They wouldn't survive because it is not an open source community driven project. An important difference between Opera and Firefox is that Opera is a commercial product produced by a corporation to generate profits for share holders. Firefox is an open source community based project with no profit motive or concerns.

MSIE and Opera are different in that MSIE is simply part of a larger commercial software package and thus doesn't have to generate direct revenues in and of itself.
    Ken Barbalace: EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Blog, Careers)
    InternetSAR.org
    Volunteers Assist Search and Rescue via Internet
    My Firefox Theme: Classic Compact
    Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would probably do a lot better as I don't think you could have much against it.

I could see Opera Software producing a free (no ads) version of Opera that strips out all the features and leaves you with the simple things along with the powerful Presto engine. Then they keep the current, *better*, version for usrs who really want a real browser.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always thought that there should be two versions of Opera where the paid registerd copy had more features. It has never made sense to me to not give users an incentive to register Opera beyond getting rid of ads.

I've always felt that with the right price point and proper incentives, Opera could generate a great deal more revenues from registration fees than they are currently. Of course it is nearly impossible to tell how much revenue generates from registration fees and it is impossible to determine what percentage of Opera users are registered users because Opera does not disclose these pieces of information.

In regards to the toolbar ad issue, personally, I'd be happy if I could simply stop Opera from displaying content targeted ads. I have, however, had discussions with web publishers who had a zero tolerance opinion on this issue and felt that any ads in the toolbar was unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by charmedlover
    It would probably do a lot better as I don't think you could have much against it.

I could see Opera Software producing a free (no ads) version of Opera that strips out all the features and leaves you with the simple things along with the powerful Presto engine. Then they keep the current, *better*, version for usrs who really want a real browser.
    InternetSAR.org

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .... etc. Sure you can get these features with the webdev toolbar thing for FF (not sure the exact name), but Opera has these all built in default.
    Yes they are available by default and that is the problem to me. I find Firefox is sufficient. I don't need so much more features that I don't usually use to be enabled by default. For me it is bloated. So, I use Firefox. That is personal.

I do code a lot with CSS. Regarding the glitches, I didn't say it is such a big deal. Since somebody posted earlier saying that there are glitches in IE and/or Firefox but not Opera, I just want to share my experience that glitches do exist in Opera. Just that.

By the way, I also didn't say my "ordinary" friends don't know how to use it. They have tried, experienced, and left Opera. Why? I don't know. They tried all, they hate IE, they have no comment about Opera, but they went for Firefox.

I am NOT against Opera. Infact, I really like every standard compliant browsers out there.

Firefox: Simple, sufficient, no ad-banner, a free browser. I find it perfect for me at the moment so I'm sticking with it. That's all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snecx
    Regarding the glitches, I didn't say it is such a big deal. Since somebody posted earlier saying that there are glitches in IE and/or Firefox but not Opera, I just want to share my experience that glitches do exist in Opera. Just that.
    All browsers have glitches. In fact, until a browser passes the Acid2 test no browser can claim to be fully standards compliant. With that said, some browsers are more compliant than others.
    InternetSAR.org

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Konquerer passed Acid2. I wish I could use it on XP, lol. Safari is suppose to have, but I've yet to see that released from Apple. I know that Opera is working on it as the last release got rid of some errors.

Yes they are available by default and that is the problem to me. I find Firefox is sufficient. I don't need so much more features that I don't usually use to be enabled by default. For me it is bloated. So, I use Firefox. That is personal.
    The thing is that you're not sacrificing anything if you don't use the features. Due to Opera's careful programming the program is quite compact. Even if you don't use M2, it doesn't really hurt too much.

I don't use Search on Windows, does that mean that I ditch it for DOS? Well in a few cases maybe , but I wouldn't ditch Windows because it has too many features. That's just plain stupid, same with Opera and Firefox.

I don't hate Firefox either, I'd rather it dominate the market over IE - at least some sense would be spread among web developers. I just prefer a better browser that meets my needs. Mozilla does meet a number of my needs, but I've become quite comfy using Opera.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll take your example. I use Windows but I don't use most of the features. So I optimize my system and disabled many "services" that were enabled by default. I had to do this because I've got no other choices. Linux but won't do for me at the moment.

Back on topic. It doesn't hurt to have the features there but I don't like Opera taking up too much screen space. I've tried disabling most of the bars but some toolbars can't be closed/disabled and ad-banner still bugging me.

Opera is a very good browser but Firefox just me perfectly.

Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy Force Flow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Opera is also available for more platforms than FF and IE and Safari put together.

The thing about alternative browsers in general is that they have better CSS support because web designers are involved with the projects. IE doesn't even fully support CSS1, and I doubt they had any web designers on the project. I hope at the very least IE7 will fully support CSS1.

I'm tired of these cheap CSS hacks that you shouldn't have to rely on to get the page looking the same in most popular browers. You can, but it takes some time tweaking them. Usually, if everthing is working in opera, firefox and IE, it usually works in most other browsers.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can disable any bar in Opera. I just tested it out to make sure. The only thing that you cannot get rid of is the menus (File, Edit, etc). If you need a screenshot of this I can gladly give you one.

If you don't like the ad banner then purchase it.

Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy Force Flow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yep, you can manipulate just about everything. Here's a screenshot of what I have:

http://computerslayer1.spymac.net/opera-scrnshot.jpg

Yes, there's a lot of tabs...

I'm using the Occhi blu skin, for those who are interested.

Basically, there it is. I like purdy icons, so that's the way I set it up. If you just prefer small icons, you can do that. If you prefer just text, you can do that too. There's a lot you can do with it in the way of customization.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I first started to use Opera I always hated the Personal Bar. I then started to use Safari when I got my Mac while I downloaded some software and got everything setup. I then really liked the Personal Bar (called the Bookmark bar - like in FF I believe). I know use it in Opera to keep easy buttons in reach for websites that I commonly visit.

Opera's interface is pretty much a drag and drop situtation, I don't see how it is difficult to customize it.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Long Live Opera browser. And as opposed as what ronald say, OPERA is for everyday usage. Why? Because it saves your sites so whenever you were reading yesterday yuo can continue readnig today with no major interaction. THAT is everyday usage.
    Alexandro Colorado

..back with a vengeance... Ingoal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JZA
    Long Live Opera browser. And as opposed as what ronald say, OPERA is for everyday usage. Why? Because it saves your sites so whenever you were reading yesterday yuo can continue readnig today with no major interaction. THAT is everyday usage.
    Well...that's called SessionSaver in FireFox...
    Advisor - Community Team
    CHD-magician + + =
    Some of my sites: [1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10]
    Newest site: ZZ.GD - t dsn't gt mch shrtr thn tht

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It isn't the same in Opera. Opera at startup you can easily set it to open up from where you left off last time. Opera has a similar feature as Firefox does, but this is different.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It isn't the same in Opera. Opera at startup you can easily set it to open up from where you left off last time. Opera has a similar feature as Firefox does, but this is different.
    Well..technically it might be different (backend), but on the user-side it's the same (frontend)...?! In FireFox you can either set sites which should load upon opening (i.e. your standard-sites) or you can set the extension to pickup where you left (reopen everything that was open last time you closed FireFox)...or is there something I ain't getting?
    Advisor - Community Team
    CHD-magician + + =

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I apologize for my little use of Firefox, so I don't know too many details on that side. From what you've said and what I know about Opera I'm going to say that Opera lets you more easily open up your last session. It doesn't require anything to really do at all.

Opera has sessions too, which act the same as Firefox with, where you can easily open up a session of websites that you like to view.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am i the only one who actually likes Opera ads? It's ironic that people don't like Opera ads but then go on to bloat their own web sites with banners, flash, text ads...

No one pays for browsers? Gee... What if no one would pay for content? or no one would click ads? The free web... Wouldn't you like it? I'm sure some of the guys who live from the web would hate it. But here they are, bashing Opera's business model.

The thing about alternative browsers in general is that they have better CSS support because web designers are involved with the projects. IE doesn't even fully support CSS1, and I doubt they had any web designers on the project.

From a happy Firefox user
    I code therefore I am.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to say that I don't mind Opera's ads, but I cannot live with them for long. I purchased my version just recently as I just didn't want to spend money, lol. It works quite nicely and I'm going to get another copy for my iBook.

I'll pay for quality anything, and Opera fits right in that category.

I think people don't realize the fact that a lot of software is filled with ads. Look at AIM and MSN, they both have ads on them - how do you think they get money? Their good looks, not in America.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'd prefer a firefox world more than a opera one...

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Opera and FireFox equally. There are some things I don't like in both browsers. These are the
    List of Patched/Unpatched Secunia Advisories for the 3 browsers. IE has the most. While Opera is checked
    for patches and vulnerabilities fixed FireFox has a fewunchecked. The fact that its open source is a good thing
    because someone took the time to make this extension.

Noscript
    https://addons.mozilla.org/extension...cation=firefox

When the extension is added the vulnerabilities are non-existent leaving the browser working with no
    vulnerabilities. Opera does render pages faster by milliseconds. When testing the Deer Park
    version the pages rendered equally as fast. The GUI takes some getting used to on whatever
    software you use. Can't remember which version it was when Opera changed the preferences window
    layout which was annoying but got used to it. Once you spend an hour or so configuring the browser
    its not that difficult to control. The same thing goes for FireFox. The GUI is not that difficult to use and
    control.

I thought about an Opera light version. If the extra features aren't a security threat and don't interfere
    with the user experience then there is no need for a light version. The banners are there because
    its shareware. If you don't want the banners buy the browser. If you are a student its 20$.

Opera
    http://secunia.com/product/4932/

IE
    http://secunia.com/product/11/

[]
    []

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I apologize for my little use of Firefox, so I don't know too many details on that side. From what you've said and what I know about Opera I'm going to say that Opera lets you more easily open up your last session. It doesn't require anything to really do at all.

Opera has sessions too, which act the same as Firefox with, where you can easily open up a session of websites that you like to view.
    I see, well I would say they're about even then (if you don't do anything in FireFox it just opens the last session (all active tabs/windows) or you go ahead an manually select another (saved) session)...
    Advisor - Community Team
    CHD-magician + + =

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'd prefer a firefox world more than a opera one...
    I'd rather have each just have larger market shares. If say the market share was like:

Firefox - 40%
    Opera - 30%
    IE - 10% (lol)
    Safari - 20%

So basically you don't have someone dominating the market, and they're forced to support standards. I really don't want IE in the picture at all, but you have to realize the fact that unless Firefox can be shipped with Windows it probably doesn't stand a chance, non of them do.

When I see someone who uses IE I always advocate Firefox. Why, when I myself put up all this defense for Opera? Because I'd rather them use Firefox than IE. Firefox I agree is better for the transition, and it contains enough features to kick IE out of someone's life. The branding is also well thoughtout as most people like the name, while Opera doesn't sound too "cool" to me.

And after they see tabbed browsing it pretty much is over, and they're no longer using IE. Yeah! One down, a few billion left!.