SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone having really low traffic to end off July?

My site has had a drop in traffic the last three days and I am wondering it the internet is just not in high use right now. I am assuming it is this or the fact that my VPS is running awkwardly slow right now.

Thanks
    Ryan
    Upcoming Movies - Movie News. Updated Daily.
    Movie Trailers - Awesome trailer site. Nuff said.

SitePoint Enthusiast Layouts4free's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering this to the last couple of days all 6 of my sites have taken a bit of a dive in traffic was trying to figure out if then net was not in high use at least i now know im not the only one!

nick
    NPA Media Network
    Webmaster network with thousands of
    templates, logos, graphics, fonts and much more...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i had a slight drop, a few hundred uniques and a few thousand pageviews. odd odd, must be summer vacations.
    Oz
    GamersMark - On Target Gaming
    OzTheory - Programming and Web Solutions
    AmIBlocked - Check if you've been blocked on IM

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy KLB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many sites see very dramatic drops in traffic during the northern hemisphere's summer months. The reason is lots of people go on vacation and aren't in school. Think of it this way, if it was a really nice day, would you spend it playing on the computer or going to the beach? Also since many people only have Internet access via work or school, there are a lot fewer people able to access the Internet during the summer months.

For those experiencing significant drops in traffic, they should start to see traffic begin to increase come the end of September.
    Ken Barbalace: EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Blog, Careers)
    InternetSAR.org
    Volunteers Assist Search and Rescue via Internet
    My Firefox Theme: Classic Compact
    Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space

SitePoint Enthusiast Layouts4free's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KLB
    Many sites see very dramatic drops in traffic during the northern hemisphere's summer months. The reason is lots of people go on vacation and aren't in school. Think of it this way, if it was a really nice day, would you spend it playing on the computer or going to the beach? Also since many people only have Internet access via work or school, there are a lot fewer people able to access the Internet during the summer months.

For those experiencing significant drops in traffic, they should start to see traffic begin to increase come the end of September.

Cool Thanx for that i live in australia so that would answer allot thnx dude
    NPA Media Network
    Webmaster network with thousands of
    templates, logos, graphics, fonts and much more...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Layouts4free
    Cool Thanx for that i live in australia so that would answer allot thnx dude
    One correction, traffic should begin increasing around the beginning of Sept not the end of Sept. The graph below shows daily trends from one of my websites to give you an idea of how extreme annual traffic fluctuations can be.

InternetSAR.org

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In addition if you get a good amount of traffic from yahoo...they are adjusting the algo... so serps jump around hour to hour...... When it settles...I should do well...hopefully

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not I, my traffic is actually going up by a lot
    Love pets? Why not discuss virtual pets?
    Contact me on Twitter @cpvr

fad (n): a craze; interest... Fahd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just about all my sites slow to a crawl during the summer.

SitePoint Enthusiast alternativerage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Summer always seems to have a drop in traffic.. I attribute this to the "college factor" a great deal of internet users are students, many of which are at college, away from home and use the internet from everything from studying for classes or to keep in touch with family. Without their massive presence during the summer months, you are going to notice a huge downturn in usage... this is partially made up by the extra usage by school age students who use it more during the summer months as they have more free time. Also in colder climates, you'll notice that there are a greater number of users in the winter months as there is less to do. For example, if you track users by geographical region, you'll notice that you will have a surge of users in Alaska during the months of November to March, because it's almost entirely dark during those months and there's very little to do. I pretty much bank on that market during those months and would always focus marketing towards those regions, with much greater return than anywhere else.

SitePoint Evangelist webfreebies's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it's natural to have a drop in traffic around this time. People are out partying-- that's why-- especially the kiddies! It's usually dead for me during the summer, but then traffic picks up in the fall and soars for a good couple of months starting in November or so and well into April and May. Then it drops again.
    Retro-Ads.net- vintage ads from the 20s-80s.
    NYC-Pics.com- free photos of NYC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    surprisingly my stats dropped from june alot but one thing puzzles me is that AW Stats reports really low numbers while Webalizer reports much higher. Im talking like 6,000 from AW Stats and like 15,000 from Webalizer. Now these two always differ by a small margin but never this big of a margin. any answers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AwStats does a pretty good job of weeding out hits by bots. Maybe this accounts for the differences.
    InternetSAR.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AwStats does a pretty good job of weeding out hits by bots. Maybe this accounts for the differences.
    yeah but 6,000 uniques and 15,000 uniques is a big difference to my site>_> maybe Webalizer is messed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The counting of stats is a very subjective. Given the number of uniques you are talking about, I'm not at all suprised that two different stats packages are giving you such a difference in uniques count.

Here are some factors that screw up the counting of "uniques":

1) how well the stats package weeds out bots and automated processes (e.g. MSIECrawler)

2) how uniques are defined. Are all hits coming from the same IP address on the same day being counted as a unique or is a different method used to count uniques?
    InternetSAR.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The counting of stats is a very subjective. Given the number of uniques you are talking about, I'm not at all suprised that two different stats packages are giving you such a difference in uniques count.

Here are some factors that screw up the counting of "uniques":

1) how well the stats package weeds out bots and automated processes (e.g. MSIECrawler)

2) how uniques are defined. Are all hits coming from the same IP address on the same day being counted as a unique or is a different method used to count uniques?
    Yeah, different trackers usually have different time tables for counting uniques. Some may only count the same person every 24 hours, while some count them every 18, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My hits went up! But most stayed the same...

I also think that it has a lot to do with the subject matter of the site. If you target a global audiance then your stats should only alter small amounts during season changes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually have had a quite large increase in about the past week. It obviously depends on your target audience.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a loss of Google referrers (from the US, UK traffic from Google is steady). Weird.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stats are ok.
    Chris, Programmer/Developer,
    Laravel Php Developers, Ruby on Rails programmers,
    Moodle, Opencart, Magento, Geodesic Classifieds/Auctions,
    www.chrisranjana.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are many factors to bear in mind but as mentined all Europe is on the beaches!! websurfing turns to windsurfing...

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Increase Traffic in your website now

Quote Originally Posted by casbboy
    My site has had a drop in traffic the last three days and I am wondering it the internet is just not in high use right now. I am assuming it is this or the fact that my VPS is running awkwardly slow right now.

Thanks
    Ryan
    Creating a website is not enough to guarantee your success on the Net. You need to get visitors to your website. Whether you have small personal page or building a big business website you need to know the basics of Internet Marketing. Here is are following marketing tips that you can receive traffic of your site.

1. Free Classified Sites : Place ads in free classified sites and you can receive traffic instantly. You should try to place atleast 10 free responsive classifieds with appropraiate category. One excellent resource is Craigslist, a free online community which has expanded into many different cities.

2. JOb Site Listings : Post ads in JobSite and you can receive decent amount of traffic. The most responsive site is http://www.jobvertise.com and here you should place ads and update daily, preferably twice in a day. You can search free jobsites where you can post your job ads.

3. Directory Listings : Place ads in free directory and that will help to increase your PR and traffic. Just search google/yahoo and collect free directory to place your listings. It is one time submission and track the sites where you have placed for your site.

4. Write Articles : Write articles or free reports for other webmasters to publish and put your website address in the by-line. If you write good content,your articles will be published and many readers who like your article will go on to visit your website.

5. Link Exchange : Exchange Links with other websites will not only increase your traffic but also increase page rank on Search Engines and that will ultimate good listings in the major search engines like google, MSN or yahoo.

5. Joint Venture : Arrange a Joint Venture partnership with List owners and webmasters.

6. Signature : Add your website address to your email signature. This way, every time you send an email, you'll be promoting your website.

7. Home Page Link Exchange : Home page link exchange is the good way to get more traffic and PR.

8. Business Cards : If you plan to have anything printed up, put your web address on it. You can print your URL on business cards, stickers, leaflets, etc.

9. Forums : Add your web address to your forum profile signature. Every time you post or respond to questions your ad will be displayed. If you post good content in forums, people who read your threads will also check out your website.

10. Blogs : Add a blog to your site and Ping weblogs.com and other search engines. Pinging your blogs to the search engines is the fastest way to get the search engine robots to visit your blog and attract new visitors to your web site.

Use the above technique to receive instant traffic of your site and that will dramatically increase your sales.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for me, I'd a drop since mid July it is getting even worse in August!! I think the summer as they said
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil ..
    .. is for good men to do nothing"
    Edmund Burke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually had a recovery in my site stats in the last week of July. (They're predominantly travel-related.)

Aaron

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    July was for our main client his best month ever, especially the last week where he had, for each workday, more than 10'000 visits per day, a first.

And today he had another first passing the 1000 barrier for visits during an hour. Between 4PM and 5PM our hour (GMT -4)

Of course we're in the Southern Hemisphere, just gone out of the school winter holiday.
    Jean-Luc
    Corobori WebDesign
    Working in the Concepcion area, Chile, since 1999
    Follow us on Twitter