SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Computer re-boots totally out of the blue

Hi guys - thanks for taking the time to read this.

About a year ago I built my own PC with a friend of mine ... I'm really pleased with it and it seems to be working fine, apart from one small issue.

It's only happened a handful of times since I built it, but ever now and again the machine will just re-boot itself. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, and luckily so far I haven't lost any work because of it, but it's playing on my mind now so I thought I'd check to see whether anybody had any suggestions about why this might be happening.

Any thoughts would be really apprecatied.

Thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simontheak
    Hi guys - thanks for taking the time to read this.

About a year ago I built my own PC with a friend of mine ... I'm really pleased with it and it seems to be working fine, apart from one small issue.

It's only happened a handful of times since I built it, but ever now and again the machine will just re-boot itself. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, and luckily so far I haven't lost any work because of it, but it's playing on my mind now so I thought I'd check to see whether anybody had any suggestions about why this might be happening.

Any thoughts would be really apprecatied.

Thanks again.
    Well, if it's any concellation (although no help) this happened to me last week. Since then I have attempted to re-install XP which for on ereason and another lead to the purchase of 2 new replacement PSU's and a new HDD. Now it looks like I need new IDE cables too..

As many people will no doubt recommend, unless you can narrow down the timing of this problem to the installation of new hard/soft ware I'd just re-install Windows (if that's what you're running) as many people do this as a matter of routine twice a year or more.

One thing that may be of help, what size PSU do you have? There's a chance it may be underpowered for the amount of hardware you have. A 300W PSU might not cut it and might cut out if you have all your PCI slots taken up and a HDD or two.

This is just my recent experiecne though. (am about to post my own issue)

Good luck

SitePoint Enthusiast jpatterson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure it's not overheating, my laptop used to shutdown out of the blue too, and it was because of an overheating problem. Also, it might be a virus, as there are viruses which can cause your computer to shut down randomly. Just do a full scan of the system.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    clean the CPU heatsink off, it sound slike you have an overheat.