SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Writers for my site

I run a computer training web site (http://www.computertim.com ). There's many computer training topics, and content needs to be written every day. How do I go about finding people to help write for my site?

I'm not sure if I should look to my current visitors, as they are the people who are learning the computer.

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ask around here at SP. We have awhole slew of professionals here

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you need an article on how to set up a desktop wallpaper? I'd be willing to do that!
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since nobody else asked:

Are you paying for this writing? How much?

I have several easy ways to reach freelance writers with strong credentials. The cost of a 2000-word article might be anything between $500 and $8,000, depending on the writer.

In any case, I strongly urge you to spend $25 with your lawyer to find out where you stand, legally, if you publish without paying. On the same call, you might ask what your liability is if somebody comes to your site and gets advice that's so bad it causes harm.

Right now, today, I can line up maybe 60 million pages of tech support information with a couple of phone calls - but not free. I could get maybe 40 pages a month by trading an impression on them, but only for an already populous site.

So, to go back to square one...

Are you paying for this writing? How much?
    _____/\/\arty \/\/inston

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our site does not pay for the writing. I'm looking for people who would like to volunteer their skills. It's not a full-time job; people who would like to write for the site can write articles when they have extra time.

It's impossible to pay for the writing at this point, as the goal of the site is to provide free computer training and support. We also do not have any advertising on the site, as we are trying to have an interface that is as least cluttered as possible.

Sorry I didn't clarify this earlier.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might consider a different business plan - one that plans on it being a business.

Writers who work for free are usually worth even less.

And the high cost of bad advice leaves you with high vulnerability to personal liability.

You may have an out if you let it all happen on message boards.
    _____/\/\arty \/\/inston

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Webmaster-Resources.com started as a hobby I believe, look what it turned into.

For you newbies, Webmaster-Resources.com was around long before SitePoint.
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our discussions are closely monitored, and we have a Disclaimer policy in place.

Technically, I can't move to a different business model. (I'm just entering high-school.)

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let us remember that there is a difference between writiing for profit and writing as part of a webmaster pr/publicity purposes.

In this case its for writers to enhance their professional credibility and the site will be very useful for people wanting to know more about these items.

The only problem i see here is that there are no materials for macintosh users and its unfortunate.
    fash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My take on computertim's idea

Well, I'll tell you, computertim, I think the site looks good and I think the idea is great. There are people who write for a hobby. They aren't necessarily bad writers, nor are they worthless, as one of your replies suggested.

I write. I don't write for money. I don't write for money because in my mind I equate money to a job and the related stress, which would certainly take the pleasure out of it for me. I couldn't possibly be the only literate English speaking person on the planet with such a concept. Search for newsgroups and communities geared toward writers.

If I could help with any modern computer concepts, I would. Maybe as an editor, I could be useful?

Here's an idea you might kick around: use your site as an outlet for a user's group you form -- friends at school with similar (definatly NOT identical) interests. Publish your website like the school paper publishes it's articles -- with assignments, regular features, and deadlines. Don't be too strict. Take a gentle hand. You people could publish an electronic newsletter geared to instruction and information read nationally. Reciprocal-link to other student groups.

Recruit one or more 'faculty advisors' or a couple of moms and dads who know how to take a back seat and leave the driving to yoose guys. If you think you 'need' a pro, get someone from the local newspaper to sit in or answer questions.

Maybe this doesn't exactly fit your business plan now, but the experience would give you a fatter resume before you're ever out of school.

I'm old. Ancient. All grownup. I'm sorry we get that way. Fortunately, you can still make good use of some of us. Ask.

John
    John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think writing articles for sites can be a very good way to promote your business, i.e. Blah blah blah this is how to blah with the blah model of blah. Blah runs a blah blah company which you can find at blah blah blah.

That was slightly incoherent but I think I got my point across.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by MartyWinston
    Writers who work for free are usually worth even less.

And the high cost of bad advice leaves you with high vulnerability to personal liability.
    Those are rather bold statements. As others have said, a lot of writers who write for free write for publicity. SitePoint is the perfect example of a site that doesn't regularly pay for content.

My site, for example, is supported by writers who volunteer for free. I believe people who come and write for my site write for the experience and for their love of the game. You can't go from inexperienced aspiring journalist to a well-known columnist for the NY Times in one day. There has to be some midpoint, and I feel that is what my site is. It gives people the opportunity to gain valuable experience and reach a worldwide audience as they launch their journalism careers. They do it for the love of the game. They don't do it to make a living, and they understand that when they apply.

But my point is that not all free writers are low quality and can put you at a vulnerability. This varies from case to case and isn't always true.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Writing a message and writing an article are not the same thing. (I have written and sold hundreds of magazine articles and two books).

As for the New York Times, John Markoff cut his teeth on the staff of a tiny TRS-80 magazine in New Hampshire - back when I headed PR at Radio Shack.

You don't like that my statements are strong, fine, but your arbitrary opinion doesn't make them wrong.
    _____/\/\arty \/\/inston