SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

moles to gallons?

Ok, completely off topic for these forums I know, but I have searched high and low and can't get a straight answer.
    I am working on a feasability study for the production of biodiesel, and need to know how much a gallon of glycerin (a by product of the production) wieghs (because I have the sale price per pound and only know the production value by gallons). I know the molecular mass of glycerin is 92.09 g/mol, but cannot for the life of me figure out how to put that into gallons so I can come up with a usable number. Any help from a chemistry buff would be sooo appreciated

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry dude, i'm just buff.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not the answer you want, but:

To get a rough estimate use the weight of water (assuming glycerin would be heavier), 8.34 lbs/gallon iirc.

92.09 g/mol what's the g? grams, gallons? 28grams/ounce, so if it's grams, you just need to know how many ounces in a gallon. Via how much mass an ounce has.

Of course you can make fun of me for my ignorance, maybe while your laughing at me the answer will come to you?

converssions

According to this site

55 gallons of 99.7%, USP grade, Kosher glycerin. 551 pounds net (product weight). Gross weight 630 lbs with a pallet. Ships LTL (shipping quoted separately) class 55. If ordering please note in the "note section" if the freight will be quoted residential and if you need a tail gate lift when no loading dock is available.
    551lbs/55gallons=10.018181818 lbs/gallon

Edit used shipping weight, changed to product weight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this reminds me way too much of chemistry class

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at the title of this thread, I thought it was about some new type of alternative fuel car that runs on rodents.

What a dissapointment.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    55 gallons of 99.7%, USP grade, Kosher glycerin. 551 pounds net (product weight). Gross weight 630 lbs with a pallet. Ships LTL (shipping quoted separately) class 55. If ordering please note in the "note section" if the freight will be quoted residential and if you need a tail gate lift when no loading dock is available.
    PERFECT! Thanks a million.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have their price/gallon on that site too. 12.49$/gallon, maybe save ya some more time to just use their price :0)~ or use it as a base price (so you don't go and offer it extremely lower than them, and lose profits).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great thread