SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy W.
    Glad you're unbiased.
    Who says I have to be unbiased? I despise MS, their products and their business practices and anyone here who knows me knows that! I have NO intention of ever being unbiased when it comes from them.... but see MY bias comes from YEARS of tech support, computer building and programming experience... and I do mean YEARS! AND MS is EXACTLY whats wrong with corporate power today!

I had written this massive rebuttal to your other points but ya know what, it aint worth the argument anymore ... keep loving MS, fine by me just dont spout the "gospel according to St. Gates" to me cause I know better.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Knowing better" is often synonymous with being closed minded.

I don't love MS. I simply don't hate them. The lines aren't black and white, nor do they ever have to be.
    Digital Hitman, netmobs
    Personal blog: Ensight
    Twitter: @jeremywright

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, Come on DC. Be a bit more open minded. Windows Vista and IE7 could well be a gateway towards success. And as Jeremy has pointed out, Microsoft has a LOT of successes. You ARE awfully close minded about this subject.

SitePoint Wizard megamanXplosion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto on the plan, ditto on the hope.

I'm taking a bit of a wait and see attitude though. You just never know with Microsoft.
    I'm talking a wait-and-see attitude as well (hence the reason I keep saying "plan" and not "they will" - or "hope" and not "I know.") However, Microsoft is fairly consistent; if Microsoft's dominance is threatened and they try to do great, they always steamroll the competition. From the look of how the alternative operating systems, browsers, office suites, etc. are threatening Microsoft, and at the same time, I have reason to believe Microsoft will do more than just put their foot down this time around. I expect Microsoft to stomp the competition into mudholes.

Of course, expectations should not be taken as though they are reality. That is simply what I expect to see

but i kinda agree with dc dalton (not about the falling on their face, but the world domination). they are into way too many products. they see someone else do something well and say "wow, we missed the boat on that one. lets throw a ton of money at it and try to catch up." they're making an adwords/adsense-like service, getting into iTunes territory, trying to penetrate the search market, and i'm sure there's a ton of other companies theyre copying that i don't know about (i dont' follow microsoft).
    Software companies will expand their product line to make more money; so what. Software companies will copy eachother's good ideas because their users demand it; so what. I don't see what the problem is, really.

bill gates always talks about innovation and developing the technology of tomorrow, yet all he does is copy what others are doing and try to use microsoft's huge marketshare to beat them. i wish they'd cut down on what's already been done and focus on being the first at something.
    Microsoft are the firsts for a lot of things (virtual folders, winFS, full volume encryption, etc.,) they don't simply copy every single thing they have put out - that is nothing more than FUD-talk (fear, uncertainty, doubt.)

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhois
    Oh, Come on DC. Be a bit more open minded. Windows Vista and IE7 could well be a gateway towards success. And as Jeremy has pointed out, Microsoft has a LOT of successes. You ARE awfully close minded about this subject.
    When it comes to MS your DAMN tooting Im closed minded, you ever hear the old saying "@$% me once, shame on you, #^% me twice shame on me" well we are so far past twice it aint funny.

Personally if I had the chance Id be more than happy to tell Bill Gates TO HIS FACE what a piece of CRAP his company is!

MS can KISS MY ^SS ....... I dont give a CRAP what they build new, I dont give a $^$^ if they GAVE IT AWAY .... period, end of story!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Microsoft are the firsts for a lot of things (virtual folders, winFS, full volume encryption, etc.,) they don't simply copy every single thing they have put out - that is nothing more than FUD-talk (fear, uncertainty, doubt.)
    they aren't the first with virtual folders (mac osx has smart folders in their iLife programs) but they are the first to implement it system-wide. and everything you talked about were "features". I'm talking about entire "markets", as in operating systems, online advertising....

i wasnt saying everything they do is a copy. but they do a lot of it because they seem to think they need to get into EVERY emerging market. i just think their money would be used more effectively pursuing more innovative, unique things not already offered and fixing up what they already have rather than entering overly saturated markets - especially when those in the market already do it so well (not much room for them to improve on it).

I think they have too much money and too much resources. their lack of restraints is detrimental to their business. check out this great blog post by 37signals about how The lack of constraints killed the quality of star wars and some of their other "small team" posts. from what i've read (and i could be wrong) microsoft is taking the small team approach to fixing up IE. They are getting a lot better. but I'd still rather them focus on improving their current top products than jumping into everything. a few great products are better than tons of average ones