SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DVD player locking up PC

ok.. this is wierd.. if i am watching a DVD on my computer and i pause it 3 times (always 3, no more, no less) it will lock up my computer. Does it every time. The 3rd time i pause it it just freezes the whole computer. right now the only video card i have is the one that came with my computer. Do you think a video card with more Video Ram would help this problem?? if so can anyone recomend one?

i have thought about getting an ATI All-in-wonder because i want a video card with video capture capabilities. Do you think this will help my DVD problem?? of course the one i want is like $230. So if anyone can spot me the $230 i will be very greatful.
    Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I've tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.

Xbox why have you forsaken me? moospot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, let me get my checkbook out

3 times (damn! a la Mustafa).. anyway. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with your video card. What kind do you have now? How much hard drive space do you have available? System RAM?

e=2.718281828459045235360 HyperBaseball's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by moospot
    3 times (damn! a la Mustafa)
    I'm not dead, just very badly wounded... lol.

Anyway, what program are you using to play the DVDs? This might have something to do with it.

You can get ATI video cards for a lot less than $230, fyi (can't tell if you were joking or not, whatever). Here's the link to mWave's ATI video card page:

ATI Video Cards at mwave.com

Almost all of their video cards come with DVD playback and capture.
    Jason Unger is me.
    "Homer no function beer well without"
    http://www.jasonunger.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm not at my computer right now. so i will have to answer some of you questions when i get home.. but as for HDD space i should have about 4GB of free space, and i have 96 megs of RAM.. i forget the name of teh software that runs the DVD it is whatever came with the Dell. I know some DVD's come with that "PC friendly" program, don't use it though. don't like it.
    I'm not sure what Video Card i have now, but it is the one that came with my system. When i get home i will see if i can find the documentation for my Dell that tells me what kind of video card it is..

Oh and i know you can get ATI for less that $230.. its just that the one i really really want is $230 (at least that what it was at the store i saw it at, i think it was Babbages). its got all kinds of stuff on it that i may use in the future..
    Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I've tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.