SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More Linux Questions

Since I'm new at this, I have two more questions concerning Linux:

1. I just installed Java SDK 1.4 into /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.0 Now the question is how do I make it accessible in the terminal window so that I can just type java or javac and the terminal window will automatically know what I want? Right now when I type java it just says: "bash: java: command not found" (w/o the ")

2. RH Linux 7.1 comes with a cool MP3 player called XMMS that looks too much like Winamp. Just like Winamp it lets you use skins but I don't know where or how to get and install them. Are they the same skins as Winamp and if so how do I install them?

Thanx!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. You need to add /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.0 to your path, which is in your ~/.bashrc if you're using bash, I believe.

2. I believe that they're different skins from Winamp, but check out http://www.xmms.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Anarchos
    1. You need to add /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.0 to your path, which is in your ~/.bashrc if you're using bash, I believe.
    What am I supposed to type in the .bashrc file? When I typed /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.0/bin/ it says "bash: /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.0/bin/: is a directory" when I open the terminal window and the java and javac commands are still not recognized. If I type /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.0/bin/java, then when I open the terminal window it just executes the java command but when I type it it is still not recognized.

Also, before I tried this my terminal window used to say [username@localhost directoryname]# at the prompt, now it says bash-2.04$ forever, even if I delete the .bashrc file. How do I fix this?