SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does my security strategy make sense?

I had a prospective client (for a nice sized web development project) ask me what security model I use today. I managed to give him a reasonable answer, but I'm not well versed (at all) in any formal security models.

I'm going to be discussing this with him again, but I'd like to make sure I'm going in the right direction with this stuff. If some of my thinking is wrong or if I've missed something important, please tell me. Here's my approach for the next meeting I have with him.
    My design focus is not based on a formal security model because
    • Formal security models are more prevailant in lower level systems, such as an operating system
    • Applications running on these systems by nature inherit some of the security benefits of the platform they are built on
    • Formal security models are not secure against new or unconventional exploits or techniques such as social engineering
    • Exploits change and evolve. A strategy that addresses this is staying current on recent exploits, and focusing on prevention, testing, and code fixes

For this type of application, the main threats to site security will be
    • Unauthorized access to information
    • Site defacement
    • Data loss
    • Service denial

Safeguard strategies are as follows
    • Security safeguards are set up by the hosting service to ensure physical integrity of the machines and protection from service denial attacks
    • Rigorous password and permission policy of server admin accounts
    • Strict file permissions on non-public files
    • Routine backups of data as part of ongoing maintenance
    • IP restrictions to block access from unnecesasry regions for secure areas of the site
    • Validation of form fields to ensure they are being used as intended
    • Deactivation of development features that have known security issues
    That's pretty much the gist of what I'm coming up with. Am I grasping this stuff correctly, or have I misused terms/concepts?

Any advice on this is appreciated.

SitePoint Evangelist Andrewaclt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something bugs me about the first part of your quote. I think it is:

Quote Originally Posted by busy
    Applications running on these systems by nature inherit some of the security benefits of the platform they are built on.
    This isn't really true, at least not in the sense as I understand it. In application level vulnerabilities (which, I'm kinda assuming you care more about...) you're not going to inherit any security from the layers below the application. You're box can be locked down tight, but a flawed implementaion of a web application can destroy the best efforts.

I would really drive home the Input Validation. Explain how you can never ever trust data that comes from users, it must be checked throughly. You may also want to elaborate on the "Unathorized attempt to gain information" mention SQL injection, cross site scripting, and directory traversal as possible means for users to gain information or escalate privileges.

Oh, and you may want to cover how you will test your application for basic vulnerabilites at the end of the project. Spend 1-2 hours going through all aspects of the project that acccept user input and make sure it's validated correctly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, reading that part again is kind of making me wonder how I arrived at that conclusion, so I think I'll leave that part out, and maybe rephrase the very first point a little as well.

Thanks for looking it over. Your advice helped a lot, and I'm feeling much better about my next meeting now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I'll check it out...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello firend

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ermeasures.pdf

It is good resource for security.