7 43.75%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SG1
    I was looking for greek or latin derivations as business names for my firm. I really preferred not to have the words, Studio, Consulting, or Design affixed at the end of my business name. For instance, I didn't want something like; Crossroads Design. Know what I mean?

I liked Primo because it meant premeire or "the best". But most of the domains associated with primo are taken.
    How about to read a book dedicated to effective advertising and NLP? You'll know lots of interesting. BTW "SG1" is also a good candidate because....

- it's short, simple
    - it's memorable
    - it contains "1" which stands for "the first", "number one"
    - it can be an abbreviation that stands for "site graphics", "site genius", etc.
    - it can be used in logotype. if not, the letters can be replaced accordingly

Good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I think the Ally/Allie derivatives don't give a "web design" impression. And the first thing that comes to mind when I hear Big Hope(s) is the idea of an unfulfilled hope - high hopes not being realized.

But then, who am I to talk - I came up with the extremely clever and original idea of "Burke Design" for my graphic design business! Actually, I'll blame that on my husband, but that's another thread...

Is there a way you can incorporate either the Ally/Allie part or the Hill part or Primo with something that gives an indication of what you actually do? Sorry I don't really have any great suggestions; it's past my bedtime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laburke
    Personally, I think the Ally/Allie derivatives don't give a "web design" impression. And the first thing that comes to mind when I hear Big Hope(s) is the idea of an unfulfilled hope - high hopes not being realized.

But then, who am I to talk - I came up with the extremely clever and original idea of "Burke Design" for my graphic design business! Actually, I'll blame that on my husband, but that's another thread...

Is there a way you can incorporate either the Ally/Allie part or the Hill part or Primo with something that gives an indication of what you actually do? Sorry I don't really have any great suggestions; it's past my bedtime.
    But that's the point. I don't want to give just a web design impression because we do more than just plain vanilla web design. Everyone does web design. I don't want to be like everyone. We offer strategic blogging consultancy as well. We also do some basic website usability consulting.

I'm still leaning on Nipo Studios.

Heck, I've seen designers with Think Pink Studio. That's not to bad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I was just going by what seems to be the advice of all the sources I have checked. I've included quotes from 3 different Web sites below regarding the importance of having your name at least indicate what business you're in. Otherwise, you don't stand out at all, and that's your goal, isn't it?

I thought you didn't want "Studio" in your name, by the way.

Clarify what your business does.

Your business name should let the customer know what you do. Although Aaacme Services, Inc. may be listed first in your section of the Yellow Pages, a business card given to a new acquaintance doesn't tell the receiver what your business does. If a person can't remember why they have your card, they will quickly discard it. Two good names are Jiffy Lube and Fast Signs. And if you can attract your customers properly in the first place, they'll probably never even notice that they passed three of your competitors on their way to see you.

Make the name meaningful.
    Since the name is often the first thing someone knows about your business, consider it an important marketing tool. Avoid vague names by thinking about the key focus of your business. Pat's Carpentry Services is more descriptive than ABC Industries. Some people, especially artists and designers, like to include their first or last names in their business names. This can help personalize your product or service, and it is easier to avoid conflicts with a business name that includes your personal name.

What is the best type of name for my business?

The best business name depends on a number of factors, including the type of business you do and your own taste and style.* The following are guidelines for a good business name:

it should be distinctive and easy to remember

it should be be easily spelled and pronounced

it should suggest the products or services you offer, and

it should distinguish you from your competitors.