SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GIMP and other GPL software

I noticed a trend among GPL software(linux included).

So one day I was looking for cheap graphics software and a friend suggested GIMP. He was like, its basically Photoshop for free. So I went and downloaded it getting all excited.
    Uunfortunately, it took me ten minutes to draw a circle in Gimp. And then it wouldn't let me save in gif or jpg format without a 3 step process. The UI was just plain horrible. Aside from that, it looked like it had most of the photoshop functions.

I think this is the problem with most open-source software out-there today with linux not being an exception. THey have all the funcationality but none of the user interface. I think the geeks that make these kinds of software just don't get it. They need to make it easy for the common user to use. Your not going to steal market share from adobe or microsoft if you don't have UI.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This comes with time. To the open source community their focus is on what they want to do. If somebody wants to make a friendlier GUI then perhaps somebody will otherwise I doubt it. Linux is improving just look at the desktops they have now vs 3-4 years ago. Its came quite far.

As for the market share, I don't think when Billy Bob and Sally Sue are coding at night they really care about market share. I know that when I worked on a few open source projects I did it for my own learning and enjoyment not to compete with anyone. Now yes I agree that some things are hard to use, but that's all that is provided and if you don't like it then you can always use something else. The whole open source mentality is here is that the source is available for others to use, tweak, and modify and if somebody doesn't like the GUI, then they have the resources to make a new one. You cant say the same about Word.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with you on some points. I found that GIMP had a learning curve as well. It's not meant to be a Photoshop replacement.. that's something that people have just believed. It was probably in development before most people knew what Photoshop was. It's also used the same GUI for as long as I know. Of course, if you are used to Photoshop, then GIMP is a challenge, just like most other programs in *nix.

At any rate, with the GIMP, after using it for awhile, it will become second nature. It's far from being difficult to use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, maybe I'm comparing it to PHP open source software. phpBB is certainly trying to compete with IPB and vBB and phpBB has a large market share.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archbob
    Well, maybe I'm comparing it to PHP open source software. phpBB is certainly trying to compete with IPB and vBB and phpBB has a large market share.
    phpBB's interface is lacking compared to vBulletin just the same. Maybe you're just used to it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find phpBB just as easy to use as vB. It lacks a few features but nothing serious. I'm excited about the new "Olympus" that the phpBB group will release.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm. That's strange. I seriously can't use phpBB. The lack of quick reply drives me nuts (I never use real reply), and for some reason when I click "Watch for this topic" I can't find a place to view my subscriptions? Something tells me it's going to annoyingly e-mail me next time there's a reply to the thread, and didn't give me an option like vBulletin did. It also doesn't have forum-based subscriptions (something I use at SP heavily, since it's so huge). Maybe it's about personal preference, but those are 3 of the most important features to me as an end user, and phpBB lacks all of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never subscribe to topics because I don't want my email full of "someone has replied to you" mails. I'm used to using the real reply(as my own forum software also does not have quick reply) and I don't subscribe to forums either because I don't see a point. There's a few features like ranks that in phpBB aren't as good as vB, but nothing big for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I know, e-mail notifications are annoying -- but vB lets you have non-email notifications, so I have it to subscribe me to all threads here at SP, then I can view them in my control panel. Likewise, subscribed forums show up there, as if I had a customized main page (since most of the forums don't mean anything to me, like flash/.net/design). Then I just bookmark my userCP. I can't seem to do that in phpBB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hardly go to my userCP except to change avatar once in a while. I wonder if phpBB 3.0(Olympus) will have the 3 features you mentioned.