SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too Much P.C. Everywhere?!!

Nothing Shocks me as much as P.C. (politcally Correct) I feel it is a cancer that is growing especaily in American Society! I even see it on this forum , when I asked people to respond to someone they hate? () All I got was a response of "That is mean" but hey is PC taking away our right our right to free speech? To say what we feel? Maybe it is not the nicest thing to say at a time but , it seems if you say anything to offend anyone I mean anyone else it is considered mean evil etc... and especialy un-PC. For example a FatGroup who knows? Some fat group they were saying how Calling another person Overweight is still too direct instead you should refer the anyone that is overweight as "Metabolicly Challenged" How do I feel? I think this is wrong? The majority of Fat people are fat on their own laziness and freedom of Choice in only a rare margin is this due to genetic drawbacks or natural disease!

Or For example a Women's group has said that "Men Urinating Standing Up" is offensive to Women it suggests "Male Dominace"! Are these people for real? A man is most at peace when he is Taking a Tinkle! I also believe having too much PC takes away freedoms that we all should have and it makes us conform to ideas that we do not believe and if you have a thought that at the time is not popular it is insulted and banned from mainstream society's congestion!

"I think it is ridiculous how we have to sugar-coat words when we all know what they mean anyways. Why do people feel the need to fool themselves with things like this..."
    by DizzyME* (http://www.unsolvedmysteries.com/usm95207.html)
    Here are some actually Besides who feels like saying such long names like the ones below

Person in WheelChair "physically challenged"
    Poor people "Financially Unstable"
    Secretarys "administrative assistants"
    Housewives/Homemakers "domestic engineers"
    Deaf People "hearing impaired"
    Mentally Retarded "Special" (why are they special?)
    -----------------------------------
    Here are some fake ones that could exist
    (C)1994 Neil St.Laurent
    This whole idea of political correctness has gotten out of hand, so I thought I would add to the whole mess. Here are some politically correct terms for some politically incorrect things / people, or just random things.

Sexism - Gender Sensitive
    Racism - Race Sensitive
    Impotent - Sexually Challenged
    Rapist - Choosing a forced sex lifestlye
    Ageism - Longevity Sensitive
    Skinhead - Highly race sensitive caucasian
    Refugee - Country displaced
    Politician - Logically Challenged person
    Unemployed - Occupationally challenged
    Welfare-bum - Occupatiaonally and financially [an occassionally mentally] challenged
    Alien - Homeworld displaced being
    Dying - Longevity Challenged
    Birth - Benefactor of life
    Screwed-up - Normally displaced
    Lawyer - Morally and ethically challenged person
    Banker - Sensitivtiy challenged person
    Monarchy - Usefullness challenged persons
    Last edited by superharris; Jul 15, 2001 at 17:46.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, but I disagree with you. The anti-PC movement is so much stronger than the PC movement, it's just that everyone who's anti-the "growing plague of political correctness" would rather complain about "the problem" than change it. In reality we have many racist, sexist, homophobic, or otherwise bigoted people in our society and even in our political offices.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent way too put it delemtri. As for political correctness in general, you need to look at the context. I don't mind alien, poor, retarded, gay, etc. when used in the general sense. However, when refering to someone specific, use political correctness terms instead. It's not that hard. Plus, you may be increasing your vocabulary.
    On a side note (this is not intended specifically for you superharris, but for everyone who's guilty of this) may I request that you use proper punctuation and grammar, or if not even that, something? Its extremely hard to read a sentence with no punctuation and wrong grammar for that matter because people have to restructure the words in their mind thus which slows down reading ability and efficiency not to mention is extremely annoying and a very tedious task to say the least for most people who are trying to read it without much success at all.
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Aes
    Its extremely hard to read a sentence with no punctuation and wrong grammar for that matter because people have to restructure the words in their mind thus which slows down reading ability and efficiency not to mention is extremely annoying and a very tedious task to say the least for most people who are trying to read it without much success at all.
    I am agreeing with that because I feel it is unfair to people who do not obtain success after reading too much that is incomprehensible and they can not comprehend it or understand it it would it nice if everyone could write in more fluid sentences that would help us all and me.

I think that people use politically-correct words because they have tact and don't want to offend anyone. Like it or not, "retarded", "gay", "old", and other words like that carry negative connotations...that's just the way our language has evolved. So these people got a crazy idea that being nice would benefit everyone, and started using these words (not all of them, just a few). If I was a secretary I would prefer to be called an administrative assistant. Wouldn't you?

<offtopic>
    I may be completely wrong, superharris, but you seem to really like stirring up controversial conversations, making outrageous claims that you can't back up, etc. etc.. The last few posts you've made would be considered "flamebait" or a "troll". Again, if I'm wrong, just say so, but it seems that your motives are just to stir up flamewars here.
    </offtopic>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay! -- qslack. I agree wholeheartedly.
    Additionally, if I were secretary, I would prefer administrative assistant when referring to me. However, my point was that for a group of people, one could call them secretaries. However for an individual person, for example you, one should call you administrative assistant.
    Colin Anderson
    sense enough to be lazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am just saying Actions speak louder then words I do not believe we need to sugar-coat subjects that we all know the meaning to it is senseless I am not anti-PC I am saying that this has sprung out of total control to where everything is trying to be universal and censored to the key that it will not hurt anyones feeling when that is a impossiblity! Qslack obviously you making a claim of that nature you have some heat you would like to vent?

And when did being called a Secretary become an insult?

The human langauge has also evolved to shorten words for faster interpretation. Such as Television which is commonly called TV though it does not carry any negative effect, I believe either does Secretary
    Last edited by superharris; Jul 15, 2001 at 17:48.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Aes
    Its extremely hard to read a sentence with no punctuation and wrong grammar for that matter because people have to restructure the words in their mind thus which slows down reading ability and efficiency not to mention is extremely annoying and a very tedious task to say the least for most people who are trying to read it without much success at all.
    Colin Anderson
    sense enough to be lazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are going to refer to my inability to puncuate my sentences I would like to be called "Language structure Challenged"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha. That was actually pretty amusing....
    However, there's one point. It's your choice to sound like an idiot when you type, not a handicap. It's not a choice for, say a mentally challenged person, to be retarded....
    Last edited by Aes; Jul 15, 2001 at 18:17.
    Colin Anderson
    sense enough to be lazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey that hurt me how is it my fault that I am not smart how do I have control over this?

So I guess it is not a secretary's decision to be a well Secretary?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I don't know about making sentences sense, but I'm annoyed by so much of this PC stuff because when people call me "white" I get offended since I should be called "Anglo AMerican" oh yeah I know a white woman who was born in South Africa but she lives in the U.S. now so I guess that makes her an African American then if I moved to Indiea I'd be an American Indian and I'm sure you can easily see how this all just turns into one huge mess since I'm really a native of america but i'm not a native american and by the way I'm political correctnessedly challenged, so please dont be PC because it offends me (honestly, it's quite annoying a lot of the time) and thank you for reading my post and if you would stop laughing at me now i would appreciate it, i'm socially retarded, seriously, so i hope you enjoyed this and it doesn't make too much sense, or something yeah, bye.

<pc disclaimer>
    I'm not making fun of any particular person, group of people, gender, subgroup of people, occupation, identification, innoculation or any other thing which may be construed as a personal and offensive attack. But, if you want to be offended, I'll find a way to do it, i'm sure.
    </pc disclaimer>

From now on, all shall refer to me as humorally challenged.

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    me think pc everywhere too much too can be sometimes. generally it behoves us as a society to communicate clrly what we are meaning at all times and not too use to many supefluous staements and/or phrases that dont' do anything but confuse the reader - for the sakes of someones feelings who probably doesnt care to much anyway but certainly for nothing else. but also im a tactful nice pc peson so ill just say that superharris your cranially challenged ihmo.

that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Superharris, when I say that I don't hate anyone it is NOT because I don't want to be mean. (I have no problem with being mean if I want to. ) It's because I don't HATE anyone. What's your definition of "hate" anyway? To me "hate" means putting all your energy into activly trying to distroy someone or something. I have no time for that.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you spell T-R-O-L-L?
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    T*R*O*L*L

Pity. I like typing like that
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

Procrastinator Extraordinaire lucas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i thought charlton heston was an idiot until i read this: http://www.save-now.com/news/archive...ton-Heston.htm

**** p.c.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Politically Correctness really only runs rife in circles where formality is desired (ie news, politics). Granted PC can go toooooo far but it is a good thing in some ways! When we have little kids being brainwashed into calling gay people "Sexually Confused" (which if i was gay i would find more offensive than gay, who says they are confused!!) when they are talking with their mates we have a problem but right now we dont.

Besides you American's dont know what PC means, even down here in NZ (and we aint communist ) we have far worse PCness than in the US...and thats speaking from a perspective after spending time in both countries..
    SiteOptions >> Services :: Products :: Contact
    Developers of PHP, C++, Visual Basic, MySQL, and more!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by lucas
    i thought charlton heston was an idiot until i read this: http://www.save-now.com/news/archive...ton-Heston.htm
    GO CH!
    That says it all for me.

Here's another stoopid PCism - a University over here stopped calling History, History because it was deemed 'sexist' (His-story, see?!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good grief pretty soon in church they'll be saying "a-person" instead of "Amen"
    Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I've tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >>>"A University over here stopped calling History, History because it was deemed 'sexist' (His-story, see?!)"

Yeah, I just find that plain annoying, as it is an example of political correctness born of ignorance. The word history is derived from a greek word meaning 'to enquire', the 'his' part of the word has nothing to do with the modern word 'his'. A clear case of deliberately taking offence at something that meant none. Some people are just looking to be offended, even if the offence is purely in their own head.
    Are we going to be turned into milk-toasts, just for fear someone might be offended?

I personally find the phrase "SitePoint Forums" offensive:
    'Site' is clearly aimed at intimidating blind people; they can't see the word, and in their hightened auditory scheme of things, they will have no choice but to hear the word 'sight'; this is plain cruel.
    Again, the same with 'Point': how can they point at something if they can't see it?
    I suggest changing the name to "Sense Gesture Forums', but only if the forums have easy access for the disabled.

I say 'Pah!' to everything like that.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, being arithmatically challenged, object to your name - show off...
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS