• $126,000 and over

2 5.26%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New version of webdesigner salary

Ok, here is the correct poll with privacy on.

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Web Designer is kinda specific ... what do you mean by the title?

Put your best practices away. The New Guy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    SP wont allow you to discuss web design/developement pricing/salaries.
    "A nerd who gets contacts
    and a trendy hair cut is still a nerd"

- Stephen Colbert on Apple Users

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got a job as a web designer. Even though we didn't discuss the salary yet , but it's probably going to be $400 or less

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The New Guy
    SP wont allow you to discuss web design/developement pricing/salaries.
    Yeah, I know. I'm not expecting anyone to discuss or tell us how much they make. I just thought it would be nice to get an idea via a private poll, as to what people are making.

Web Designer can inlcude freelancers, web designers, or those who run web design firms.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just looked at the poll results. Only 9 people have responded but the overwhelming amount are making less than $25,000/yearly. Ouch. I'm really surprised by those answers. I feel so bad for some of you guys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much do you make SG1?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder how much of this is confidence? mPeror's price seems low to some of us but possibly seems high or great to others; and the overwhelming amount is less than 25k/year but (and I could be wrong) are the responses from new designers who do not know what to charge and are hoping for clues?

My first ever design quote was extreamly high and I felt quilty even mentioning it to my client until they said "Oh, is that all?" My next quote to my next client was a bit higher and so on until I now think that I'm getting a fair price for my work. I still feel bad about quoting prices and I'm still probably charging less than my worth but I'm charging more as I'm getting more confident.

This probably isn't a GC topic and SP don't allow price discussions but I think that maybe it's time we did. These forums are all about sharing knowledge and advice and I'll bet that of any two questions a new designer/programer/hoster/advertiser has, one of them would be "how much should I charge for my services?"

That's my tuppence worth, I'll stop now

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does design mean? Actual webdesign? Development inlcuded? Site-revenues included? Gross? Net?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SG1
    Ouch. I'm really surprised by those answers. I feel so bad for some of you guys
    What's so surprising? I think a quite a fraction of the members here are start-ups and relatively new to the game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Empuria
    These forums are all about sharing knowledge and advice and I'll bet that of any two questions a new designer/programer/hoster/advertiser has, one of them would be "how much should I charge for my services?"
    This question has been answered about a million times already - create a business plan if you don't have one...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not that we're getting enough votes to really matter, but I think the range of each poll option is pretty big. In the range I fall into, I'm at the high end, and a couple years ago I was at the low end. The difference between how I'm living now vs. back then is pretty huge, because that jump in pay over a few years is huge. I guess I'm just saying that I wonder how much this poll can really say about what people are making when the salary ranges are so large.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Egor
    What's so surprising? I think a quite a fraction of the members here are start-ups and relatively new to the game.
    This is what I mean by saying that confidence will effect price

but

Quote Originally Posted by Egor
    This question has been answered about a million times already - create a business plan if you don't have one...
    I'm sorry Egor but this is not the answer for the point I'm trying to make.
    Let's take your point and make a business plan. My plan is to make 24k a year. I'm 20 years old or I'm just starting out or I'm whatever but my plan is to make 24K. How do I do it? Well I could take one job this year and charge 24k. Or I could take two and etc....

Or maybe I'm so new to this, I do a plan like everyone says and in order to get my 24k/year: 24000/12 which is 2000 a month which is 500 a week (for five days) which (based on a real 8 hour day like real workers do) is 12.50/hour. So therefore I charge 12.50 per hour for my skills.? This is a business plan. Not a good one but probably the plan that determines the price for a lot of folk.

OK, so you don't like this plan. Let's play the "I'm a designer and I have competition" game. I want this job. The other guy wants this job. We go silly promising this that and the other in order to get the job. Where is your business plan? There isn't one.

So what do we do?

We could say that it doesn't matter and that everyone will eventually sort their own saleries out and life is good.
    We could also say that a business plan will anwser your questions or
    we can accept that there are folk that want advice, they're not our competition and why shouldn't we have this discussion in forum?

Sorry Egor but my chest is now lighter.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's always good to hear a view.

You are right, there isn't really a standardised system for pricing; over time, you kind of just get it I suppose. However, while a business plan may not provide you with hard figures, it does help, at least with figuring out what you need to be charging at minimum. It helped me. Does that mean I should be using that minimum rate for the next ten years? No.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Less than $25k LOL, if I was earning that I would go do something else.
    Video-Tutes.com
    Web & Graphic design video tutorials
    100% free video tutorials.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Edit * just scored a 20k raise this morning!! woo hoo
    Video-Tutes.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew K
    Less than $25k LOL, if I was earning that I would go do something else.
    I made less than 25K when I was interning. But yeah I think I could make more than $25K waiting tables at a half-decent restaurant

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    I made less than 25K when I was interning. But yeah I think I could make more than $25K waiting tables at a half-decent restaurant
    Yes you can. I did it while I was putting myself through school.
    Sara

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There must be a big shift in wages from Australia to US. When you guys intern are you still at college? Is it like work experience?
    Video-Tutes.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There must be a big shift in wages from Australia to US. When you guys intern are you still at college? Is it like work experience?
    Internships are typically worth college credit so some people intern for free. I had an internship where i was luky enough to get about $16/hour. I appled for several others; some were unpaid. It was still agreat opportunity. I got college credit and real-world work experience. Luckily i got the one that paid well.
    Sara

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh we call that work experience, I'm not sure about college but they used to make us do it at school in the last year, maybe to show us how good we had it at school.
    Video-Tutes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO, I think there is a big shift in wages b/w the U.S and the world. LOL. Probably with the exception of major european nations and Canada, most of the web designers on this forum who reside outside of the U.S wouldn't mind working for $20/hour USD. But if you asked an american web designer to work for that much, they'd spit on your face.

There are certainly many American web development firms who will outsource their projects to talented designers in other countries just to achieve economies of scale.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rule has nothing to do with not wanting to give/share advice (something SP has always done admirably), but with wanting to adhere to US anti-competition laws under which such conversations could be construed as facilitating price-fixing and get the site shut down. Very simple really.

This is what I mean by saying that confidence will effect price

but

I'm sorry Egor but this is not the answer for the point I'm trying to make.
    Let's take your point and make a business plan. My plan is to make 24k a year. I'm 20 years old or I'm just starting out or I'm whatever but my plan is to make 24K. How do I do it? Well I could take one job this year and charge 24k. Or I could take two and etc....

Or maybe I'm so new to this, I do a plan like everyone says and in order to get my 24k/year: 24000/12 which is 2000 a month which is 500 a week (for five days) which (based on a real 8 hour day like real workers do) is 12.50/hour. So therefore I charge 12.50 per hour for my skills.? This is a business plan. Not a good one but probably the plan that determines the price for a lot of folk.

OK, so you don't like this plan. Let's play the "I'm a designer and I have competition" game. I want this job. The other guy wants this job. We go silly promising this that and the other in order to get the job. Where is your business plan? There isn't one.

So what do we do?

We could say that it doesn't matter and that everyone will eventually sort their own saleries out and life is good.
    We could also say that a business plan will anwser your questions or
    we can accept that there are folk that want advice, they're not our competition and why shouldn't we have this discussion in forum?

~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted.. however I am not a designer... merely a developer...
    Eric Coleman
    We're consentratin' on fallin' apart
    We were contenders, now throwin' the fight
    I just wanna believe, I just wanna believe in us

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SG1
    IMHO, I think there is a big shift in wages b/w the U.S and the world. LOL. Probably with the exception of major european nations and Canada, most of the web designers on this forum who reside outside of the U.S wouldn't mind working for $20/hour USD. But if you asked an american web designer to work for that much, they'd spit on your face.
    It all depends really. Cost of living is a major factor in how much you need to make in the US. For example, $20/hour would have been fine for me when I was living in central Florida because the cost of living was so low. Most starting web designers made a good few dollars an hour less than that. However, here in Philadelphia it just would not pay my bills because things are a little more expensive and I get taxed a lot more than I did in Florida. Don't take everything you read on internet forums as gospel.