User Tag List

Thread: Bad Attitude?

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Question Bad Attitude?

I been using the forums for about a week now, and I guess I feel a twinge of guilt. I was just wondering how others feel about my attitude towards forum use. First if someone is looking for "copy and paste" code, I refer them to a script repository. If they want a custom app, I figure they can pay someone for it, I don't have the time and energy. But if they are trying to learn how to do something or trouble-shoot, as long as they put in an effort, (no matter how much, or lack of, intelligence they possess) I will gladly offer advice, suggestions, snippets, and provide links to references. Like a variation of the "give a man a fish, teach a man to fish" motto, I learned as a tutor in college that doing someone else's work for them is both unfair to them (they don't learn) and unfair to me (impinges on my time). Actually, it takes more effort on my part to walk someone through something than to just hand it to them, but I almost always stick to these principles. Sometimes I wonder if someone might actually be putting in an effort, but is just incapable of learning. I usually adopt a hard-a** attitude, will not do their work for them, and hope they eventually figure out that they're in the wrong field. Am I so wrong?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah, very wrong.

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well not 100% wrong, as far as Im concerned..

I agree about the "just give me the code" people ..... BZZZ, WRONG. If they dont want to at least make an attempt to learn I refuse them.. I wholeheartedly agree this is a place for helping others LEARN, NOT a freebie "write my code for me" place.

But with that said you have to have patience with some because there can be some major communication problems here because English is a 2nd language to many... I still have trouble with that sometimes but ya gotta be a little patient with them..

As far as the "here's a link stuff ...... its pretty much frowned upon except for general informational things.. and for heavens sake dont link back to one of your sites or say "check my site out for info" .... that's self promotion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and for heavens sake dont link back to one of your sites or say "check my site out for info" .... that's self promotion
    not neccessarily. I used to be a C\C++ programmer and i wrote a tutorial on the most common bad practices and referred people , who needed help , to it instead of repeating the whole thing too often.

Visit docquesting.com docquesting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My problem is sometimes I am unable to do things for myself so I post them. If I need help learning something I post as well but usually have a hard time finding someone willing to "walk me through" the learning process. Yes I can be very slow at times depending on what it is. I do though like very much do things myself I can and find it very frustrating when I am unable to.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton
    As far as the "here's a link stuff ...... its pretty much frowned upon except for general informational things.. and for heavens sake dont link back to one of your sites or say "check my site out for info" .... that's self promotion
    Can't say I agree with you there. I think there's a line between obvious self promotion and giving a link to a specific page that will help another member solve the problem in question. I uploaded a little rounded corners example for a member a while ago, and it has answered another member's problem last week.

For the record, I hate self-promotion and report it all the time.