Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate money, but should I?

I just hate money...

But you know, money must exist. Because otherwise evilness will spread that much more rapidly. It all started because humans have to give to get obviously right? Money has truly shown its ugly face these days with all of the gold-diggers, rich snobs, peoples' life forces focusing on money, some corporations focusing on nothing but profit, and so many other terrible things that break my heart. Plus it's not like money is ever evenly distributed (to those who deserve it that is) but that was obviously inevitable too. I think of money as something that has to exist but must treat it only as a means of establishing some kind of balance (if you want to call it that) and nothing more. I just simply hate what money does to many people these days. I just had to rant somewhere. Thanks for listening and feel free to flame me or comment on this rant. But my beliefs still stand.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I love money. Money makes me happy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caldus
    But you know, money must exist.
    Nah, money is just a convenience. We could operate on a barter system, it would just take some figuring out.

Plus it's not like money is ever evenly distributed ...
    Born on third base and thought they hit a triple.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samsm
    Nah, money is just a convenience. We could operate on a barter system, it would just take some figuring out.
    I'll give you a box of Cheez-its if you figure it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just simply hate what money does to many people these days.
    The problem is not with the money, it's with the human greed.
    Community Guidelines | Community FAQ

"He that is kind is free, though he is a slave;
    he that is evil is a slave, though he be a king." - St. Augustine

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Money... The root of all evil... the key to happiness...

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just hate money...

But you know, money must exist. Because otherwise evilness will spread that much more rapidly. It all started because humans have to give to get obviously right? Money has truly shown its ugly face these days with all of the gold-diggers, rich snobs, peoples' life forces focusing on money, some corporations focusing on nothing but profit, and so many other terrible things that break my heart. Plus it's not like money is ever evenly distributed (to those who deserve it that is) but that was obviously inevitable too. I think of money as something that has to exist but must treat it only as a means of establishing some kind of balance (if you want to call it that) and nothing more. I just simply hate what money does to many people these days. I just had to rant somewhere. Thanks for listening and feel free to flame me or comment on this rant. But my beliefs still stand.
    Money as it stands today is STUPID. We put huge value into pieces of paper and metal that are covered in grime, dirt, and pictures of past leaders (at least in Canada/U.S.). Money is just an intermediate way of trade.

Hundreds of years ago people got along without money just fine, and we would get along just fine today. Let's say I was doing some basic CSS work for someone. Let's say I charged $100. Now, let's say that the person in which I'm doing this work creates guitar amps in his spare time. Instead of taking $100, I could just ask him for an amp of equal value to $100. In 6 months, assuming the amp is still in perfect condition, it should still be worth a trade for something else worth $100.

Currency is just a way of standardizing trade.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Egor
    I love money. Money makes me happy.
    Seriously though, how do some people think that their lives are complete if they have a ton of money? Is it simply a way for them to fill that gaping hole inside of them?

Put your best practices away. The New Guy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It standardizes trade. It has nothing to do with greed, evil or happiness.
    "A nerd who gets contacts
    and a trendy hair cut is still a nerd"

- Stephen Colbert on Apple Users

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't matter what people use in order to trade, or purchase goods. Some will always strive to have more of it. It wouldn't matter if we used rice or corn as a form of currency, some people would make it their goal to have as much of it as possible. It isn't money that is the problem, it is the simple fact of being human, and the different personalities that make some people feel the need to have as much of it as possible.

And usually, the people who complain about money, or think that it is what really causes evil are those who don't have much of it. Most people who do have a lot of money have worked extremely hard to get it. Most wealthy people are actually very low-profile and could care less about their financial situation, or flaunt it, or even change lifestyle. But, it only takes a few people, or one news story to give the impression that everyone with a lot of money is a greedy heartless SOB.
    Generation X Finance
    Helping a Unique Generation Achieve Financial Independence

Financial Planning writer at About.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The New Guy
    It standardizes trade. It has nothing to do with greed, evil or happiness.
    I agree.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do so many companies focus on nothing but profit? It just seems like that to me. It's like if something doesn't contribute to profit they will barely even consider it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do so many companies focus on nothing but profit? It just seems like that to me. It's like if something doesn't contribute to profit they will barely even consider it.
    It's not the companies fault. It's the investors. That's why companies like Google should've stayed private. If Google was a private company, we'd see more innovation. Unfortunately, the orginal investors (the ventures capitialists) forced them to go public, as THEY wanted money (hey, they've got investors behind them forcing them to make money), and now it's a public company: Meaning everyone who has stock in them want them to make more money, and have outrageous expectations.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I hate pretty much anything that stifles innovation.

I'm waiting for some investor to come in here and start flaming me. :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where do you draw the line? The world stifles innovation by innovating. Virtually everything has been done, there's nothing left to innovate. Now it's coming up with the best of the best, and the drive to that? Money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhois
    Hundreds of years ago people got along without money just fine, and we would get along just fine today. Let's say I was doing some basic CSS work for someone. Let's say I charged $100. Now, let's say that the person in which I'm doing this work creates guitar amps in his spare time. Instead of taking $100, I could just ask him for an amp of equal value to $100. In 6 months, assuming the amp is still in perfect condition, it should still be worth a trade for something else worth $100.
    That illustrates why money is so useful. There would be very few people who at the precise moment that a barter is necessary just happen to have the goods or services that they can provide to exchange for the goods or services that they want.

If you go to your local food store and offer them some well crafted CSS in exchange for the food you need to feed your family for the week they would probably not want it. They wouldn't want your friend's guitar amp, either.

Unlike CSS and guitar amps, Money is something you can exchange for anything except love.
    work: revs | ecru
    reviews: films | mp3s
    projects: Glastonbury Tor | London IT support

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by revs_org
    That illustrates why money is so useful. There would be very few people who at the precise moment that a barter is necessary just happen to have the goods or services that they can provide to exchange for the goods or services that they want.

If you go to your local food store and offer them some well crafted CSS in exchange for the food you need to feed your family for the week they would probably not want it. They wouldn't want your friend's guitar amp, either.

Unlike CSS and guitar amps, Money is something you can exchange for anything except love.
    That's because we've gone commercial. You're 100% correct, in today's world, the diversity means that that example doesn't work. Hundreds of years ago everyone did similar things (farming, metals, etc.). The farmers needed metal horseshoes, the horseshoe makers needed food of all sorts. The farmer who farms vegetables needs meat, and vice versa. There's just too many things to do that there's not demand for everything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by revs_org
    Money is something you can exchange for anything except love.
    No doubt you're right.
    As I found someone posting the small text that money is not everything I'll post it again here

Money can buy a house but not a home.
    Money can buy a bed but not sleep.
    Money can buy a clock but not time.
    Money can buy a book but not knowledge.
    Money can buy food but not an appetite.
    Money can buy position but not respect.
    Money can buy blood but not life.
    Money can buy medicine but not health.
    Money can buy sex but not love.
    Money can buy insurance but not safety.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where do you draw the line? The world stifles innovation by innovating. Virtually everything has been done, there's nothing left to innovate. Now it's coming up with the best of the best, and the drive to that? Money.
    There's always something to innovate in my opinion. With tons of creative people comes tons of original ideas. There will always be new things to add and/or change in some way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umm, that is what the purpose of business is, to make money. And that is exactly why companies won't implement certain ideas or products if they aren't profitable. Why would they do something that made them lose money? If a company kept this up, it wouldn't be long before there would be no more business.

This goes for both public and private businesses, although to a greater extent public companies due to the drive to increase shareholder value. But even say myself, as a single person owning a business, my goal is to turn a profit. Everything else is going to be secondary, because without profit, you have no business at all.

It isn't up to businesses to give away all of their money and solve the world's problems. Granted, many large corporations do have a strong philanthropy component, but it shouldn't be automatically expected. A business is an entity, and needs to survive, which is what will determine the values and actions needed in order to continue. No different than an individual who needs certain things to survive. For example, you need food and water to live. To obtain these things, you usually need to get a job to make money. In this sense, you are a business yourself, and you need to literally make money to live, and if you can't make enough money, you run the risk of going out of business (ie. living on the street, or in the slums, or on welfare). So look at that situation, if you are making minimum wage and live in a crappy house, eating nothing much more than bread and water, will you be giving away your money to other people? Will you be donating most of your money to other causes? Or will you be doing everything in your power to make enough money to improve your lifestyle and/or make sure you have a roof over your head?
    Generation X Finance
    Helping a Unique Generation Achieve Financial Independence

Financial Planning writer at About.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's because we've gone commercial.
    I think you mean industrial or post-industrial.

We live in a world where often our line of work is two or three degrees separate from the things that people actually NEED.

Yes, one reason we have money is because it is difficult to compute the relative worth of shoveling horse manure to being the vice president of wieners. Personally, I would think they should be paid the same thing, and the latter's incentive to be the best vice president of wieners possible would be that it's a good way to to avoid shoveling manure.

However, somewhere in the impersonal trade of money ad the complexity of a largely industrialized world, this kind of logic often gets lost.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's easy to lose faith in the capitalistic system these days, with media portraying bad companies, scams, and consumer getting ripped off. But there is a flip side to the coin. I strongly suggest that you read Good To Great" - a study on VERY successful companies, showing that driven, loving people who care about purpose, rather than money in itself, are the companies that do best.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Put your best practices away. The New Guy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Its good to question capitalism once in awhile.
    "A nerd who gets contacts
    and a trendy hair cut is still a nerd"

- Stephen Colbert on Apple Users

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The New Guy
    Its good to question capitalism once in awhile.
    Oh, absolutely. It's good to question your own beliefs often, to reaffirm them.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People who say money is the root of evil doesn't have any.