SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you suggest?

Hello fellow sitepointers, I am interested in learning about linux, and I want to install linux on my computer, so I can dual boot with win 98 Second Edition and the linux OS. Unfortunately, I really have no knowledge of the linux operating system and was wondering what distribution you would recommend for a total newbie? (red hat, mandrake, caldera and the version number) How hard is it to install a dual boot OS computer, as I know that I have to partition my HD, but I have no idea how to.

Any comments, recommendations, and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Steven
    Have you ever been ripped off, lied to or cheated? If so, check out
    Baddealings.com

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only one I have ever installed is RedHat and it wasn't too bad, I bought the whole box set adn it came with manuals and the like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest RedHat 7.1, I just installed it this week.

Xbox why have you forsaken me? moospot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RedHat is definitely the most user friendly as far as installation is concerned. They have a lot of community support and excellent documentation as well. If you are serious about linux, you should definitely get a good book first.

www.redhat.com

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any Linux distro is good... I personally prefer SuSE, Slackware, and FreeBSD (BSD). Why? Well SuSE is easy to setup and maintain, Slackware is no-frills just Linux, and FreeBSD is well, it speaks for itself

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, thank you all very much for your replies. I am going tommorrow to pick up a linux book from my local best buy, and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions regarding a linux book for newbies? Also, if someone would elaborate on what makes the distributions unique, and I'm sure a lot of other newbies would really appreciate it. For example, what is the difference between red hat, suse, mandrake, caldera, etc..
    Do some have features that others do not, etc...
    Thanks Again
    Steven
    Have you ever been ripped off, lied to or cheated? If so, check out
    Baddealings.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Each company chooses different software to include in their distribution. SuSE and Mandrake are targetted towards beginners while Slackware isn't (I don't think). However, the popular distributions contain loads of software (including the free downloaded versions). Additional software can be downloaded from the Internet.

I have experience with RedHat and Mandrake. Mandrake is commonly accepted to be the easiest to set up, with SuSE not too far behind.

The main thing I think most people should understand before getting into Linux is an understanding of partition types. It comes in handy, especially with a dual-boot system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try Partition Magic to partition your hard drive. It's probably the best product you can get to do it - and easily. Good luck!

We are vigilant icehousedesigns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have checked out both redhat and mandrake. Mandrake has my vote.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to chime in.... If you're a newbie, I highly recommend Mandrake 8.0. It really is great. Then again, every distro of Linux is too, isn't it?
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard that mandrake added _mdk to its packages, so it messes up dependencies if you try to get a new version. Is this true?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't heard that, and Mandrake seems to be working well for me in all respects, including dependencies....
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been reading through Linux related threads, this looks like a good one to dredge up.

Basically, every year for four years i've been giving Linux a whirl. I just finished up with Mandrake 8.1. After getting this one up and running I really thought it was the end of Windows. My USB photo printer worked, Sound worked, all hardware detected, etc. I used it for 3 weeks without windows and found it to be more productive and useful, makes you want to do more.

This week, it all went downhill. It seems to be terrible with dependencies. Installs, updates, fixes often fail or cause more problems. I did a clean install six different times, the first install I messed around so much with it that I won't really count it. The rest of the time it just seemed to screw up configuration files as there were different errors with each reboot. Programs randomly quit or crash. Mostly crash in KDE but just quit in Gnome. Other times it was really unresponsive, programs wouldn't load, displaying an hourglass until it closed out.

I concluded Mandrake 8.1 to be strikingly similar in performance and reliability to WindowsME. It also seems to be a bit on the Bloatware side. The last two Distro's I used were Redhat 6.2 and Caldera eDesktop 2.4. Both of these were quite stable but lacked the support and features of newer versions.

I couldn't get my internet connection back today, so I changed back over to Redhat 6.2. I've heard a lot of mixed opinions on various distros, so for those of you that have a fairly up to date system that's been running a healthy Linux distro for some time i'd be interested in knowing the details of it.

My current system is based on an HP Pavilion 8756c, Pentium 3, 384mb's memory, 10gb IDE drive, Diamond Stealth III s540 32mb video card, 3Com 3C905-TX Ethernet Adapter, Proview 19" monitor, Linksys Cable/DSL Router.

SitePoint Addict kevin_tremblay's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both Redhat 7.1 and Mandrake 8.0 and both are great, ease of install and setup would be Mandrake.

Redhat 7.1 is easy to install but a little more config to do.
    Kevin Tremblay-- Sys Admin
    work: kevin_tremblay@hsgmed.com
    "The object of the journey is not to arrive."