SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    SitePoint Enthusiast allstarkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Anyone getting Sirius because of Howard?

    Hey anyone getting Sirius radio because of Howard Stern? I am. He's coming on Sirius in January 06

  2. #2
    ☆★☆★ silver trophy vgarcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    in transition
    Posts
    21,235
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If I do go to satellite, it will be Sirius because of Stern. I might just stick with regular radio or CDs on my drive to work though, because I hate monthly bills and I hate SMALL monthly bills even more.

  3. #3
    He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Slave I
    Posts
    23,423
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Howard alone isn't enough to make the switch. But the fact that Sirius has a lot of great music stations and much more makes him just an added bonus. Regular radio has fallen into a pretty sorry state so satelite radio seems like the best way to get new music and keep up with what's going on.

  4. #4
    ☆★☆★ silver trophy vgarcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    in transition
    Posts
    21,235
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee
    Howard alone isn't enough to make the switch. But the fact that Sirius has a lot of great music stations and much more makes him just an added bonus. Regular radio has fallen into a pretty sorry state so satelite radio seems like the best way to get new music and keep up with what's going on.
    Philadelphia radio seems to have taken an even faster nosedive than other markets too

  5. #5
    He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Slave I
    Posts
    23,423
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    Philadelphia radio seems to have taken an even faster nosedive than other markets too
    Preach on, brother.

    I have only listened to the radio a total of two hours (yes, I can actually count it) since I got my mp3 player installed about two years ago. The downside is it makes it harder to hear new music but the radio sucks so bad I'd rather scavenge for new music then listen to the radio. (Actually, a very generous person has hooked me up with a ton of good music recently so I think the final nail has been put in the coffin for radio as far I am concerned).

  6. #6
    ☆★☆★ silver trophy vgarcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    in transition
    Posts
    21,235
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee
    Preach on, brother.

    I have only listened to the radio a total of two hours (yes, I can actually count it) since I got my mp3 player installed about two years ago. The downside is it makes it harder to hear new music but the radio sucks so bad I'd rather scavenge for new music then listen to the radio. (Actually, a very generous person has hooked me up with a ton of good music recently so I think the final nail has been put in the coffin for radio as far I am concerned).
    I haven't listened to radio in my car in weeks either, but for other reasons

    I'm putting a new radio in this weekend though

  7. #7
    He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Slave I
    Posts
    23,423
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    I'm putting a new radio in this weekend though
    Then you can drive out to Pittsburg with me and we can harass visit lo0ol.

  8. #8
    ☆★☆★ silver trophy vgarcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    in transition
    Posts
    21,235
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee
    Then you can drive out to Pittsburg with me and we can harass visit lo0ol.
    You pay the tolls and I'm game. Hope you got EZ pass

  9. #9
    He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Slave I
    Posts
    23,423
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    You pay the tolls and I'm game. Hope you got EZ pass
    If by EZ Pass you mean a pocket full of quarters we're good to go.

  10. #10
    SitePoint Guru Marubozo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Near South Bend, Indiana
    Posts
    657
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm not much of a Stern fan, but we have been a Sirius household for a little over a year now, and I'll tell you what, I will NEVER EVER listen to FM again. Getting Sirius is the best thing I have done since upgrading from a modem to broadband. Not only do you get over 100 great channels with no commercials, you simply get to hear good music. Even on the more mainstream satellite radio stations, they don't just play the top singles you'd hear on FM. You get to hear songs that will never make it to regular radio.

    Even better, is if you drive quite a bit, you don't lose reception after driving 30 miles out of town. You can drive from coast to coast and never skip a beat. I do a bit of traveling for work, and around here you can't drive more than about a half hour before losing a regular station, and trying to find another one in an area you aren't familiar with is a real pain.

    Anyway, I say give it a shot if you haven't tried it. I also have an MP3 player which I used to use, but since I went to satellite radio, I never use my MP3 player, I don't need it. The stations provide more than enough great music, with the addition of the occasional DJ talking about a band, a tour, or taking a phone call to keep it more than interesting.

    But anyway, it has been the best purchase I've ever made
    Generation X Finance
    Helping a Unique Generation Achieve Financial Independence

    Financial Planning writer at About.com

  11. #11
    _ silver trophy ses5909's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NoVa
    Posts
    5,466
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm with maru. We have a sirius in both cars and have had it since June 2004. I will never go back. The fact that stern is coming is just a plus.

    and like maru... one of the best purchases i've EVER made. In fact currently you can pay $500 for a lifetime subscription.. not too shabby.
    Sara

  12. #12
    ☆★☆★ silver trophy vgarcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    in transition
    Posts
    21,235
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee
    If by EZ Pass you mean a pocket full of quarters we're good to go.
    Yeah I know why those quarters are there


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •