SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No idea, might be Palladium but I was sure palledin as I remeber at the time wondeig that the name was chosen, palledin was a Moslem warrior in the crusades time period I thin... then again my memory is showing serious holes on thgis subject anyways ROFL. Stll looking for the links I have,
    Thank You, Migwetth, Gunalche’esh, Ha’w'aa, Danke

Kyle Lamson

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Johansson
    1. Palladium does absolutely not, in any way, force you to acquire licenses CDs that you have ripped yourself. That is totally false.

2. if you hate DRM, you do not necessarily have to hatePalladium. Palladium can be used to strengthen DRM, but so can a LOT of other technologies. Palladium can also be used for a multitude of other purposes than DRM, most of them far more interesting and significant than DRM.
    strange how M$ got support from the RIAA for further development in "Integrated Copy Protection" for digital media then. M$ where plugging Palladium as a way for record companies to intrgrate copy protection in a way that would be difficult to get round (for about 2 weeks at least).

the encryption key for each machine is in theory a Good Thing, but falls down if you have to crack your own OS install for some reason. Plus it'll mean MORE CPU power used for something that few people will gain benefit from. People who don't game or do Windows development are better advised to switch to a *NIX distro of some flavour anyway, be it Solaris, BSD or a Linux flavour. They will gain the same functionality and not need as powerful a machine. These days i use Windows because i game. 75% of everything else I do is Linux based, specifically in my case Fedora Core. I've just shut down my main Linux box today after over 4 1/2 months without it being turned off as i'm upgrading it to FC4. It's been used as a local server for testing out mods to my website and a couple of friends also use it for the same thing. I wouldn't expect a Windows server doing the same things to even hope to stay up that long without a reboot, because experience has taught me it won't do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad Microsoft annouced this, now i know my choice to "Switch" to Apple is complete. I refuse to run an operating system with such a stupid name!

Later M$ losers
    Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i heard that microsoft scaled down the feature of longhorn, now with its name "vista", i already started hating the OS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a company so powerfully influential, it's quite insignificant how stupid a name some people interpret their products. If it was called Windows Smarky it would still sell fast like smoothies on a hot summer day. Anticipation has grown largely since 2002 for this new OS, which is promised to correct much of the security issues and cumbersomes established by XP.

Relative to Apple, Microsoft is the greater target of many hackers on the net, receiving much more heat in that area. Hopefully they've applied well all their security knowledge from the last 5 years to this new OS.

I for one encourage all people who hate the OS just for its name to go ahead and move to Apple.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see the big deal as far as the name. Its not that bad. You are all bashing Microsoft's Vista when some of you use a computer named after a fruit.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by velocd
    I for one encourage all people who hate the OS just for its name to go ahead and move to Apple.
    or:
    Fedora
    Debian
    FreeBSD
    etc etc

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xoail
    i heard that microsoft scaled down the feature of longhorn, now with its name "vista", i already started hating the OS.
    Microsoft didn't scale down anything. As far as users are concerned, the OS is the same thing it would have otherwise been.

Realistically, what OS actually has a good name?

OS X? The Linux examples above? Linspire?

If Microsoft released a product called "Apple" (if there were no apple), would anyone think it was cool? How about Panther, Tiger, Leopard, Cheetah, Tabby?

Product names aren't what people care about. The marketing is what people will ultimately relate to. They will build a picture of the product based on the marketing more than the name.
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxS
    You are all bashing Microsoft's Vista when some of you use a computer named after a fruit.
    I've never heard of a 'Mac' fruit. 'Apple' is the company name; they don't just make computers...

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarky
    I'm glad Microsoft annouced this, now i know my choice to "Switch" to Apple is complete. I refuse to run an operating system with such a stupid name!

Later M$ losers
    Careful - some of us are Microsoft VICTIMS, not losers. I, for one, can't afford an Apple yet, and Linux is problematic partly because I use Dreamweaver, which runs only on Windows & Apple.

But most of my software is open source, which is a name I rather like if only because it doesn't rhyme with Microshaft.

In the meantime, I may even upgrade to the chronically late, stripped down version of Longhorn renamed Vista perhaps six months after it's finally released - after others have helped weed out the inevitable legions of bugs. Therefore, I anticipate trying it sometime in 2007.

What I can't figure out is why Linux hasn't been making headlines during the ENORMOUS time interval between Windows XP and Longhorn/Vista. Firefox has received tons of press, and you'd think the Linux community would trot out some wonderful OS upgrade that deals Windows a death blow.

Do you suppose Bill Gates has managed to frighten them into laying low until after LV (Longhorn-Vista) has been released???

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaker
    strange how M$ got support from the RIAA for further development in "Integrated Copy Protection" for digital media then. M$ where plugging Palladium as a way for record companies to intrgrate copy protection in a way that would be difficult to get round (for about 2 weeks at least).
    No argument from me there. Palladium can be used to make DRM harder to get around, yes, as can many technologies. Encryption is a technology that is improving DRM tremendously in general - that does not mean that encryption is evil. My point was merely that your statement "Palladium is evil" was incorrect - that is all.

the encryption key for each machine is in theory a Good Thing, but falls down if you have to crack your own OS install for some reason.
    Naturally. The stronger safe you have, the worse it is if you lose the key. But that doesn't mean that a strong safe is bad.

Plus it'll mean MORE CPU power used for something that few people will gain benefit from.
    1. Palladium does not use the main CPU for encryption. It uses separate a hardware module to do the encryption.

2. Palladium will not apply to any programs that are non-Palladium enabled - only software that requires Palladium for it's functionality will use it. Palladium is also user controlled - i.e. Palladium only encrypts files and communication chosen by the user. It does do anything automatically - ergo, only people who actually make use of Palladium will use the module, so to speak.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geosite
    Careful - some of us are Microsoft VICTIMS, not losers. I, for one, can't afford an Apple yet,
    iMacs and Mac Minis are VERY affordable.
    Mattias Johansson

FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxS
    I don't see the big deal as far as the name. Its not that bad. You are all bashing Microsoft's Vista when some of you use a computer named after a fruit.
    Or fantastic, innovative, brandable names like FreeBSD.

Note: I love BSD. The name is totally, totally horrible, though.
    Mattias Johansson

FatStatement.com

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Careful - some of us are Microsoft VICTIMS, not losers. I, for one, can't afford an Apple yet, and Linux is problematic partly because I use Dreamweaver, which runs only on Windows & Apple.

But most of my software is open source, which is a name I rather like if only because it doesn't rhyme with Microshaft.

In the meantime, I may even upgrade to the chronically late, stripped down version of Longhorn renamed Vista perhaps six months after it's finally released - after others have helped weed out the inevitable legions of bugs. Therefore, I anticipate trying it sometime in 2007.

What I can't figure out is why Linux hasn't been making headlines during the ENORMOUS time interval between Windows XP and Longhorn/Vista. Firefox has received tons of press, and you'd think the Linux community would trot out some wonderful OS upgrade that deals Windows a death blow.

Do you suppose Bill Gates has managed to frighten them into laying low until after LV (Longhorn-Vista) has been released???
    What's the point in calling them Microshaft? Why don't you like them? Are you just jeleous of their ability to make money? Do you feel they've somehow screwed you over? Does it just make you feel good knowing you can call them a childish name? Honestly...

Linux hasn't made headlines because it isn't up to par with Windows yet. I have a friend who's on her way to university this year. She's obviously on a VERY tight budget due to all the costs. She had an old laptop, and so I suggested (against my usual will) she use Linux. So I installed Fedora Core 3 with Gnome for her. She used it for a couple of weeks, she figured out how to do everything, but she couldn't stand it. At all. She couldn't stand the interface, and she isn't a heavy tech user (so it's not like she uses Windows enough to get heavily attached to the smaller details like I would).

End users just can't use Linux. I even have a difficult time with Linux, and I know what I'm doing. Until they can make a Linux user interface that isn't a pain to use, and an installation that anyone can do, it's not going to get mainstream attention.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhois
    Linux hasn't made headlines because it isn't up to par with Windows yet.
    Unfortunatly from a novice user point of view it isn't _quite_ upto the usability of Windows, yet. Give it another 3-5 years and it will be however

From a technical user point of view it's genrally _far_ better than Windows. Unfortunatly until someone produces a pure graphically driven version of Linux novice users will pretty much stay away.

I've done a few Linux boxen for folks who wanted to try it out, most have stucj with it because they like it, however I usually install KDE because i've found for some reason it tends to get a better reception than GNOME.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the point in calling them Microshaft? Why don't you like them?
    Mostly political, so I can't discuss it in much detail here.

Are you just jeleous of their ability to make money?
    No.

Do you feel they've somehow screwed you over?
    (Nods head YES.)

Linux hasn't made headlines because it isn't up to par with Windows yet.
    I know; that, among other things, really has me curious. It seems like Linux was making more headlines two years ago than it is now, when the Waiting-for-Longhorn decade is the perfect time for the Linux community to promote the perfect operating system. I smell something fishy.

But if I had the money, even after switching to Apple (a PowerMac, or whatever it's called; I don't know if the iThis or iThat's have all the power or features I need), I'd probably still own a PC with Windows, because I think it's important to be able to speak your clients' language.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mostly political, so I can't discuss it in much detail here.
    Political reasons why you can publically deface them?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does "publicly deface" mean?

It's perfectly fine/free/fair to call corporations and organizations names. I sometimes poke fun at the Linux community for its geekiness. Some people rail at Apple for its alleged arrogance.

Microsoft offers a vista on something else entirely, pun intended.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lets see, he lives in Seattle and may have worked for them at some point?

If he has done, and from talking to people who have worked for M$ then i could understand why he doesn't like them. As i gather it you have to swallow the entire corporate pill or they make _sure_ you leave. IIRC it is also company policy with them not go give a reference.

just what i've been told, don't know how true it is, but the fanatical loyalty of some of their employees would seem to fit with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Egor
    I've never heard of a 'Mac' fruit. 'Apple' is the company name; they don't just make computers...
    Yeah yeah.. you know what I meant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mmj
    http://forevergeek.com/windows/longh...dows_vista.php

This has also appeared on Microsoft Watch
    http://www.microsoft-watch.com/artic...1839736,00.asp

Mary Jo says she likes the name better that "Windows XP"
    i also prefer the the new name... but then what does that matter...
    the question is: is it stable?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Egor
    The Macintosh is a kind of apple :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok good for m$crosoft !
    Chris, Programmer/Developer,
    Laravel Php Developers, Ruby on Rails programmers,
    Moodle, Opencart, Magento, Geodesic Classifieds/Auctions,
    www.chrisranjana.com

SitePoint Evangelist Andrewaclt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt anyone's going to change to *nix or apple just because they don't like the new name. I doubt any of you are going to 'not upgrade' because you don't like the new name too.
    I wasn't saying just because the name. They dropped so many features Vista should really be named service pack 3.

Hopefully they've applied well all their security knowledge from the last 5 years to this new OS.
    HAHAHA...!

the question is: is it stable?
    ....HAHAHAHA!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewaclt
    I wasn't saying just because the name. They dropped so many features Vista should really be named service pack 3.
    What features did they drop?

No, really. Name 1 FEATURE that was dropped. Hell, name one FEATURE that's even been announced.

I dare you.
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright