SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

email address harvesting here--maybe?

I just got (7/12/01) the same email sent to two of my addresses. The only place I have those two addresses listed together (besides on my website, which has others as well) is here. Has anyone else gotten an email offereing 'Private Software' writing services. The subject is 'Keyword: Software'. The address to reply to is pri.sw@worldonline.cz--not exatcly a professional sounding email address.

Since my site is for my business (Home Beer and Wine Making Supplies) I'm a bit doubtfull that this spammer got them from there.

--Bill
    Lake Superior Smokin' Brews Make It Different: Brew Your Own!
    L'Etoile du Nord Web Development Providing Real Direction in a Virtual World
    MSN IM: smokinbrews-AT-hotmail-DOT-com
    Brewin', Vintin' & Smokin' Forums Moderator

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear that, but I haven't recieved any mail like that. The spammer may have gotten it from your site though...there are spiders for grabbing email addresses.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose, but it's kind of weird that the two email addresses I use here are the two that the email came to. I have a couple other listed on my site that didn't get the email so I just thought that this may be the place it came from. But one of the email addresses it came to is in my profile here so it is more or less hidden. Since one of the addresses I use here is just for MS Instant Messenger I think I'll delete that listing in my signature.

When I set up my hotmail account I heard about all this spam coming through hotmail and I hardly got any. But after about 6 months of a hotmail account I'm now getting about one spam message a day, and I never use that address! It is only listed here and on my website!

--Bill

ps: to any that are wondering why I haven't been around much, I've dropped one of my phone lines and don't spend as much time online. But I'm planning to get a DSL connection latter this year
    Lake Superior Smokin' Brews Make It Different: Brew Your Own!
    L'Etoile du Nord Web Development Providing Real Direction in a Virtual World
    MSN IM: smokinbrews-AT-hotmail-DOT-com
    Brewin', Vintin' & Smokin' Forums Moderator

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About hotmail spam...I've had my hotmail account since 1998 I believe. I used to use it for email, but not for long. I haven't gotten any spam on it at all, except the bi-monthly (or quarterly) mail that Microsoft sends to all accounts (I consider that spam).

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hotmail

I have a hotmail address for msn instant messenger and it gets around 300 spams a month. I do not use or promote that email address either!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's apparently a gap within Hotmail. I don't know, but I have two accounts. One I opened a while back 1998 or 1999 maybe? And the other I opened maybe a year ago? On the older one, I NEVER recieve spam. On the new one, I ALWAYS recieve TONS of spam.... It's quite aggravating.
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.