SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Best WordPress Plugins

Not sure if this is the best place to put this or not...

I recently took the plunge with Wordpress and am interested to know what the best plugins are and why.
    Sara

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy asp_funda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

well, what I'd say is that there are a lot of plugins for doing quite a lot of things. what you have to decide is what are your needs and what do you need a plugin for. you need to be careful ofcourse as a lot of plugins & your blog might seem to crawl, performance hit ofcourse!! so identify your needs and determine what plugins you want to do what.

But I'd say, one plugin is a must, for SPAM fighting. I use Spam Karma(don't get a Beta, I'd advise on the last stable version) & its damn effective, I get a lot of spam, almost 2 months in use & already blocked 4500+ spam comments, just 1-2 passed its nets & ended up in moderation queue(b'coz I don't trust any spam plugin 100% & that's why if Spam Karma thinks a comment or trackback is OK then it ends up in moderation queue, so I approve it & then only its displayed). You need a good blacklist to go with this plugin, I recommend Simon Willison's blacklist at http://simon.incutio.com/blacklist.txt You can also have a look at my blacklist at http://blog.igeek.info/my_blacklist.txt which has Simon's merged into with some other trusted blacklists as well as the offenders from my blog.

You have other options in WP-Blacklist, 3-Strikes etc. but Spam Karma is the best!!

If you want to display any code in your blog(be it ASP, PHP, VB.NET, C#, Perl, Python or anything) then the best solution is my plugin(I'm not exaggerating nor boasting), see my sig, there's really no competition here if call them competition, blows everyone else away!! an example of displaying code in 2 languages(PHP & ASP) is here.

The choice of plugins should depend on your need, as to what you want. You can find a lot of plugins at
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Plugins
    http://wp-plugins.net/
    http://www.bloggingpro.com/archives/...press-plugins/

you can find a lot of plugins at the official plugin repository too but there are a lot of them there which aren't ready for use or unusable, and not all plugins are listed there(mine isn't).

so what I'd say is that "plugins are best used in moderation". don't overload your blog with plugins, use only what you need. also, don't just try off any plugin, especially if it uses the DB. you'd be better off searching about that plugin to see what others are saying about that. I'm saying all this b'coz there are quite a number of support threads at the WP forums with people complaining the server loads etc. and almost all of the times(in 99% cases), its one or more of bad-plugins, people go crazy when they find cool plugins that they load all of them, even when they need none!! so if you follow even some of my advice, it'll save you the trouble of opening a thread for help at either WP forums or here!!

and yes, I forgot, whether you are expecting high traffic or if you are not gonna be blogging quite frequently(not more than 1-2 posts a day), then you should look into WP-Cache. quite a good plugin that'll ease off the server loads!!
    Our lives teach us who we are.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Me - Photo Blog - Personal Blog - Dev Blog
    iG:Syntax Hiliter -- Colourize your code in WordPress!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Outstanding post Amit. I'll be sure to check out your plugin!!

What would a blog called "ilovecode" be without any code?!?!
    Sara

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ses5909
    Outstanding post Amit. I'll be sure to check out your plugin!!
    You are sweet!!

Quote Originally Posted by ses5909
    What would a blog called "ilovecode" be without any code?!?!
    yeah right!!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, thanks for starting this thread Sara!

I'll have to check out those great links soon, but the two best plugins I've been enjoying are this WYSIWYG Plugin and the Semiologic static front page plugin - since the sites I'm working on now won't be focusing on blogging and WP is looking to be a nice CMS for some smaller sites.

Overall I'm so impressed with WP and can't wait to see how it keeps getting better!

Cheers,

Steve
    Web Designer or Small Business Owner?
    Need More Leads and More Clients?
    Get Free Marketing Tips, Tricks and Ideas Here!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ravedesigns
    I'll have to check out those great links soon, but the two best plugins I've been enjoying are this WYSIWYG Plugin and the Semiologic static front page plugin - since the sites I'm working on now won't be focusing on blogging and WP is looking to be a nice CMS for some smaller sites.
    Well, I don't use WYSIWYG plugin, I prefer tight code. Just a matter of preference I should say!! Also, if you are using the WP search feature, then you should look at Semiologic Search Reloaded plugin, it enhances the WP search!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravedesigns
    Overall I'm so impressed with WP and can't wait to see how it keeps getting better!
    WP 1.6 will have a light-weight WYSIWYG editor by default, which you can turn off & on from WP options!! And there'll be some more little enhancements!!

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asp_funda
    If you want to display any code in your blog(be it ASP, PHP, VB.NET, C#, Perl, Python or anything) then the best solution is my plugin(I'm not exaggerating nor boasting), see my sig, there's really no competition here if call them competition, blows everyone else away!! an example of displaying code in 2 languages(PHP & ASP) is here.
    I recommend Amit's plug-in. I have it installed on my blog and it works flawlessly, though he may have released an even better version since I installed mine. Plus I have not posted near the amount of code that I had originally planned.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Gulag
    I have it installed on my blog and it works flawlessly, though he may have released an even better version since I installed mine. Plus I have not posted near the amount of code that I had originally planned.
    what version are you using? The latest is v3.1 as my sig indicates!!

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what version are you using? The latest is v3.1 as my sig indicates!!
    I am using the dinosaur version 2.01

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Gulag
    I am using the dinosaur version 2.01
    well, what can I say, you are still using WP1.5 & are 4 versions behind!!
    However, if you plan to upgrade WP, be sure to upgrade the plugin as well, as I've stopped supporting older versions, of both plugin & WP. And if that's not enough of a reason to upgrade(ofcourse, once you have it running, its quite unlikely that you'll have problems with it), then you should know that the latest version has some bugfixes, lots of improvements & choc-full of new features!!!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I don't use WYSIWYG plugin, I prefer tight code. Just a matter of preference I should say!! Also, if you are using the WP search feature, then you should look at Semiologic Search Reloaded plugin, it enhances the WP search!!

WP 1.6 will have a light-weight WYSIWYG editor by default, which you can turn off & on from WP options!! And there'll be some more little enhancements!!
    Hey, thanks for the mention of the Search Reloaded plugin! I've downloaded it to install and it sounds like a good one!

Does anyone know of a plugin to allow me to setup a contact form on a WP site, or is there a way to include an html form processed by a script on the server? As I'm using this for a few small clients it'd be nice to have an easy way for people to contact them besides just using an email link.

Cheers,

Steve

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Pages

There is a default contact page you could use.
    Sara

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Sara, I've been there before and did a thorough search, but I didn't see what you were talking about. Maybe it's time for my third cup of coffee?

I did do some more searching though and came across this plugin http://ryanduff.net/projects/wp-contactform/ that seems to fit the bill, so I'll be trying it out soon to see how it works.

Thanks,

Steve

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My old Wordpress theme has a contact form that would be pretty easy to adapt if you want to use that . I won't post the link but you should be able to find it

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an update - the contact form plugin I mentioned above works great, although it was a little tricky to get the tag to work with the WYSIWYG editor plugin installed.

Thanks everyone for your comments and help!

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, let me add one to this ancient post:
    http://green-beast.com/blog/?page_id=136

Mike