SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Little help here ?

I am somewhat new to the art of Webmastering and I wanted to know the best way of getting a couple of resources for my website. It is on a free-hosting service now, but I hope to move it to one with a lot more space in the future. I was looking for a way to incorporate an interactive WYSIWYG HTML editor into my site, similar to the PageWizard found at geocities.com. I was also looking for an interactive file manager to allow visitors to upload certain file types to the site without having to first download programs like WS_FTP (again, similar to geocities.com, and tripod.com as well). Is there anyone out there who knows the best way of bringing this about ??

P.S. A searchable database would be helpful as well

Thanks

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem you are going to run into is that what you are trying to do is a server-side function and requires cgi access. Unfortunately, most free servers don't allow this. Also, what is your siter supposed to do?
    Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I intend for the site to have a list of registered users (musicians), each of whom would be allowed to create a one-page HTML home page on the site, as well as upload just under 1 MB worth of picture and sound files to go along with the home page. Once created, everyone who visits the site will be able to browse and search through the pages (hence the searchable index), then access them, along with the pictures and sound files. So that people who register wouldn't have to learn HTML or how to use an FTP program, the HTML editor and file manager would be ready to use on my web site. I'm not sure about access permission - I'll be sure to find out..

As far as the editor itself, the only features I really need are text input (fonts styles, size, color - like the interface used on this discussion board) and background color/texture (maybe a page border).. Again, I don't know what kinds of programs/services are available..

Thanks again

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you going to be able to do all that with allowing for just 1 MB?!? Users HTML files and images will take up at least half of that if not more. Throw sound bites in there and you'll be lost...

Good luck.
    Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    true, musicians will want better quality samples of their songs. one meg won't cut it. as far as the inteface, you will have to build it in html, and tie it to a database and some kind of templated homepage. I would do it in cold fusion/SQL server, but you will probably find a mysql/php setup more affordable (plus there are some great people here to help you with php)
    אין סוף

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the time being, I'm only looking to build a small scale version with just a few musicians to see how the project shapes up. If it turns out to work well, I'll likely provide more space, and other features. But for now, I want to limit the HTML files to just text and background colors and the sound/picture clips to around 250 KB thereabouts - full mp3s are pretty big, but shorter, lower-quality clips are fine for now.. Any other resources people know about would be really appreciated

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,

Here is a Javascript html editor, and with a little work it could be built into a full fledge wysiwyg:

http://javascript.internet.com/misce...l-builder.html

What I would recommend, however, is setting up one of these perl scripts:

http://cgi.resourceindex.com/Program...ge_Communities
    Gary Reynolds
    -- My Frac Art --

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend HomeFree by solutionscripts.com
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein