User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

use a table or css-p for this?

hi all,
    im building a splash page (shock-horror-gasp! but the client wants it so what can you do?). its going to be mainly a big image made up of smaller image segments. ive using an xhtml transitional dtd. my question is: is it better to use a table to layout these image segemnts which make the big image, or somehow use css-p to poistion all the images?
    ill be using css-p for all internal pages. my thoughts about laying out the images using a table is: aslong as all eth code validates against the dtd, then its ok. what do you guys think?
    - G

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tables are supposed to be used to display tabular data, if it is tabular data that you are showing, use a table, if not, CSS would be the best option.
    Regards,
    Jamie Harrop

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't agree that everything that the dtd accepts is fine, especially when you're using the transitional one.

But, I do think that although they are not recommended, not complying with the standards etc. tables for layout is just the thing you need in this case.

We're talking about a lousy splash page, why does it matter so much that it will stick to the standards? Just make sure anyone anywhere would be able to find the "Click here to enter" button/link and you're fine. The time and hassle of placing the images in <p>s an absolute positioning them or whatsoever are just not worth it. Think about it-
    All you need to do is to slice the image nicely with PS/IR, export the slices thoughtfully and then clean-up the automatic HTML you get, and you're actually done. CSS won't give you a single advantage here. Go tables!

Good luck
    Check out my new vcard at RonnyO.com
    BlinkIP.com - The fastest way to your IP

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Nadia P's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use whatever you are comfortable with and what will get the job done the quickest - splash page - full of images - simple basic table layout should do fine in this case :-)

Nadia