SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Site conception process . . .

Hello

I would just like to ask everyone, how do you "come up with" or think of your best designs?

When I say this I mean the layout and visual aspects of it, not the coding or anything like that.

I've read that you're supposed to start with an actual piece of paper (yes, from a tree ) and make a drawing of what you want it to be like. Does anyone here do that? I've tried it..

Does a great layout come to you in a dream or what?

I do take into account that the total visual appeal of the site is not neccessarily dependant on the layout, but to a great extent on the graphics and colors. How do you choose a color scheme?

Well, when you sit down and open up a blank notepad document, or a new frontpage file, or dreamweaver or whatever you make sites in, how do you decide and think of a master layout/design for your site?
    Marc Gugliuzza
    marc.gugliuzza.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually I have the basic structure and ideas in my head, then I'd start to draw what I like it to look on paper. If I'm not happy with anything I have done on paper, I'll change it until it looks right. Then work on the HTML.

You might find these previous threads useful
    http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=27197
    http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=23565
    neil - Geocities, the trailer park of the web
    .<.<.<.<.<.<.<.<
    WEB[retype.net] + [guff.org]
    ICQ[273981] AIM[neiim]

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drawing your ideas out on paper works good. I do that sometimes. But most of the time I just get an idea in my head and come up with a "beta" of it in Photoshop. How do I get ideas in my head? Well, usually by looking magazines, shapes, logos, and even other websites. I'll like something, try recreating it, and end up with something that looks nothing like it, but still looks good

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a printout I made (on real paper, he he) of screenshots (I get two-up on a vertical sheet, one on a horizontal)

I sketch my ideas out in pencil, erasing and scratching out as I go. I usually do about 5 per site (if the site is larger, I will do more). Then, I copy the best two or three on a nicer draft to show to the client. If they like the general direction, I have the same screenshot as a PhotoShop file. I design it and post the big whoppin GIF online for client to see. After they select one of the layouts, I finish the screenshot, slice and dice it (and create any other images, logos needed) and start coding.

Hope this helps! By the way, on windows you can get a screenshot by pressing Alt-PrintScreen - you can then paste it into any graphics program (or word)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

confused

Wait so what exactly do you print out when you say
    I have a printout I made (on real paper, he he) of screenshots (I get two-up on a vertical sheet, one on a horizontal)
    ?

I understand it from there on, you sketch out your ideas, then make a gif of them, then code it, sounds kewl i'll have to try it.

In your "sketching" on paper do you show what the graphics/logo's would look like?
    Marc Gugliuzza
    marc.gugliuzza.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just sketch it on a paper. Usually better to have a small notebook next to you when you're doing something other than focus on the site making, and then if something comes up, make a quick sketch of it. The best designs usually came up between my naps in school... Mmmhm.
    narcoleptic//
    sleepyhead on duty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I basically work with it as I go along. I create the entire thing in my graphics program (Micrografx Picture Publisher for any who care) and then work from there. For people who want certain aspects of a site, I work with that first, and then add in what I think works with it. It has worked very well for me thus far. Then, when all is said and the design/prototype looks good -- that's when the building starts!
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

Xbox why have you forsaken me? moospot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It varies for me. I try to get an idea of what I want by drawing something on paper. I think the real challenge is determining all the elements that will go into yor website. I don't know how many times I have made a navbar only to find that I needed to add another link in there. That's frustration!

Not only do you need the basic design, but you should try to map out your site to make sure you are including everything in your navigation scheme.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically, what I do is go outside and sit with a noteblok and a pencil in the garden. I come up with the general idea of the site, and start splitting it up into some subcategories. After that I change to a new sheet of paper and I start writing down the menu links, which I feel have to be present.

After that, I write a short description of the menu link, to give me an idea what I want to do with it.

Then I start to play around with Fireworks, the only graphics utility I use, to build something like a logo or a important graphic. I usually base my entire site design on such a graphic. I don't know why, it is just the way I work.

After that, it is just building a few pages, filling them with content and then building some new pages, which I again fill with content .

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when i create websites, i usually think about how I want it to look, and just begin to make the tables, and expiriment is fireworks. Maybe i just begin because i'm not a great with pen and paper

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what is wrong?

I feel that my question really belongs here.

Using ftp I uploaded a web site in a testing process to the server of my hosting company. (I mean my index.html file and the two folders-html and images).

Set my ftp preference to the passive mode and pointing my browser to the url.

I was surprised to see a blank page titled the parent directory, the index.html file, image and html folders, all in the form of hyper links. Normally, its the site home page that i should see.

What is wrong?
    And the technical department of the hosting company seems not to very cooperating. For the moment with concrete/helpful answers.

I trust that you will all contribute and help to solve this riddle.
    fash

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you include index.html in the URL. I believe some servers need to be pointed to the exact location and don't "grab" the index.html page when pointed to the folder the file is in.
    Just a suggestion though, I wouldn't know of any other thing that could cause this from your side .

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

which url

Thanks a lot for your hint.

But which part of the url are you talking about.
    The hyperlinks from the home page(index.html) to the other files or from other content files to the home page.

The index.html file is a distinct file and there are links from this file to other files in the html folder.

Thanks again.
    fash