Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile New Style, New Spirit

http://www.helpmesearchfor.com

Back in Ornage! As you can see there have been many suggestions on how to improve the page and I tried to accomodate all ofthem. Please see the results for your self!

I realy like where the page is at right now, there are a few sections I want to add later but it is ready for public exposure.

If you have any ideas on where and how to publish please tell me. Promotion is my task Priority 1. right ow.

This new webpage is designed to help people better their internet experience by posting what they are looking for and other people telling them how to find it. I just got this page ready for beta testing but I need people to go and post their questions and answers so I can fine tune things. If you have a little time please surf around and help me out. Thanks a lot! Your feedback is much appreciated!
    Last edited by poolsat; Sep 8, 2005 at 08:08.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The header image should be clickable link back to the front page. I could not find any navigation back to the front page, and the front page is the only place you explain what the site is. For example, I surfed around a few pages then wanted to read about the site, but had to back several times.

Edit: I see now the top right link, but that's not clearly labelled as the 'home' page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The website looks very plain, I guess you want to keep it loading very fast but some CSS would be good. Also, I would add link to the signup-page and login pages in the introduction text on the index page.
    Regards, Wynex
    BMX-Zone.com BMX-Forum.com
    ZuneStore.cc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm,

So your site is like a search engine? But people can register so that they can look up there last search engine queries? Thats a good idea.

However, the design and layout needs some work!

I would redesign the whole site. I would remake the header image. With more colors and better quality and graphics. I would also take out the description about the site and place a link on the homepage to learn about how the site works.

I would really consider you setting up the site lik google.com but making some better graphics.

Also, use better tittle tag...

and validate it - http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...et%2Fsearch%2F

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The concept is interesting, I'll hand you that. A little more use of color would be a good thing, mainly, though, I think the text area needs to match the page or visa-versa. Moreover, I'd strongly suggest not centering the text but rather go left-aligned as it's easier to read. And while you're at it, maybe a font-family such as Verdana would look better, more professional.

Validation... yep, I agree, it should. You need to fix the boo-boos. You have two things on you page which should be clickable links back to your home page. They look like links (one top, one bottom), but they are text, but of the worthless variety. Someone did mention the banner as a suggested Home link. I agree with that as well.

I looked at your source. The meta data needs to be beefed up. Also, put your CSS in the head (that'll fix some errors too), or better yet, make it a remote file and either link it or import it. Use your CSS to center your page.

Consider this: Using tables on that site slows it and makes it somewhat less accessible. Consider doing away with them. For such a simple design and small site, it'd be a good playground for CSS for positioning.

Concepts cool, but the interface is going to have to be a lot better if you want to draw attantion to it. I hope this helps.

Mike

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first thing I think when I pull up this site is what is it?? After a little looking I get your conecpt, Which is great! I would make it so that people know right away when they come to your site what it is all about. Really make the search stand out and be a focus of the site.

-T3C

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi I reviewed Your Site it seems to be simple and sober but the Main Image Look Like it is Dithered I mean it is not clear. Try to make the Description Part Attaractive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is cool. It is readable. Clean.

Folks who want to use a search, do not concern themselves with anything but the workability of the site.

I keep thinking of my wifes admonition. "If it takes more than 3 clicks, you did it wrong, Ed". Well, maybe.

The backflip is a nice thing. Don't use the term backflip, one of my neighbors has that already tied down.

Anyway, nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keeping the latest post in mind, I redesigned the flow of the page. Please let me know if it makes moresense now. I tried to emphasize the 2 main objectives, Posting questions, and reading others questions, with a side feature of searching the database for similar questions.
    I also gave it a face lift.
    Let me know what you think, oh and it would be great if you could post suggestions on where to publish the page, where people would get the most use out of it.
    Join this great community where users
    help each other find answers on the web.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Idea is good, but the things I see as a problem for me are:

Lose that scrolling text - it looks cheap and tacky on the site.

Set all boxes to be the same width, at the moment, your page looks like :

..-----------------header-----------------
    .........----------main content-------
    .....-----------Answers here-----------
    ----------------google ads------------------
    .-----------------footer--------------------

( above is a simple representation of how your site looks .... = spaces )

take a look again, and see if you can't get everything the same width - at the moment it looks, well decidedly amaterish, and not what you are trying to do.

Go and validate the site as has already been recommended

I think that with a bit more polish, you will get a site that will do quite well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A word about my experience with validation.

When I first started with the validators, I got high numbers of errors. Then I looked at the tools in the validator. Primarily the source. I began to dig out the problems. Then I have been able to get rid of all but one. I know where why and can eliminate the problem and bring it back.

But it is a good thing and really easy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks good to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone has raised a very interisting question, how do you delete an obscene post apart from actually going into the db and removing it yourself.
    I was thinking of implementing a profanity filter, somethign that eighter scanns the mesage right a way and replaces text or have a script that scanns periodically and just removes the entire thread. Perhaps a neat little Perl script ran by cron would do the trick

Any suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not see the buttons now, but in the past there were buttons that would allow a post or thread to be sent to the attention of a moderator or admin.

Then they could move the post or take what action was needed.

Just a note: I was having problems posting - no cursor. I checked and was using Firefox. Switch to IE and posting works ok.

Then back to FF and enables js and it works fin.

Just a note for the back of the head.
    Last edited by edshuck; Aug 8, 2005 at 14:26.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poolsat

This new webpage is designed to help people better their internet experience by posting what they are looking for and other people telling them how to find it. I just got this page ready for beta testing but I need people to go and post their questions and answers so I can fine tune things. If you have a little time please surf around and help me out. Thanks a lot! Your feedback is much appreciated!
    It didn't load for me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There have been a few changes...
    The scroling text is removed, the answers look a little different, and I made a script that scanns text and picks out urls, right now it just looks for "http..." but in the next few days I want to expand it to "www..."
    The next boggest things to implement is some sort of a button where a thread can be removed form public and suggested for admin review for inapropriate content, not sure if I should make it for just the question and remove the entire thread, or have it so the answers can be individually recomended.

One big question still remaining is where to publish this page where people get the most out of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE - There is a new logo on the page!

I'm still looking for suggestions on where and how to publish it so people get the most out of it.

Thanks!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice, I like the way the content boxes over lap the dog.

It would be a lot better if you changed it so that the AdSense had colors that are thae same as the ones on the site!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll keep it short .... headline. I know your site looks pretty simple, yet, can't understand what it does in 5 seconds.

It also seems that few things are all over the place. Maybe a form or something will help. But, as I don't really know your "industry" my advise is not 100% accurate at the moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what some of the last comment means or what it refers to...
    I don't know if there is an industry for this kind of a webpge, if there is please let me know so I can advertise on their forums or email them with link exchanges.
    If you have any other promotion method that works realy well, please let me know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Donít they call this kind of site "social bookmarking"? I really like the idea but there are aspects of the design I would love to see changed:

1) AdSense sticks out like a sore thumb, change the colors please
    2) Whatís the relevance of the dog in the top logo? I donít see the relation to the site.
    3) Page title should have the name of the site in it

Things I love:
    1) The concept of the whole site
    2) Navigation is easy and straightforward
    3) Loads quick
    4) Easy to use

I might even start to use this. Awesome idea!
    Steven Watkins
    Chief Web Ninja
    Code Monkey Interactive
    lowgravity.ca

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think the website looks alittle too plain and dried out. Also, why dont your adsense ads blend in with the website? instead they're a dark blue and they stand out alot, which might annoy some potential website users. The pluses to the plain design though is that it loads quick, and you can navigate through the site pretty easily. One thing i noticed though, was the placement of the dog at the top. A few pictures here and there relevant to the theme / idea of the site is a good job, but why do you just have a dog there? perhaps because he symbolizes "fetching" answers? even though i think it should be replaced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great idea and nice site, just a few points
    1- i wouldnt put google ads on your site
    2- the URL is a bit long to type quicker typing google
    3- i wouldnt use the image of a dog very Lycos type thing
    other than than awsome site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I disagree with a few of the others about your website being to 'plain' or boring. I believe websites with the intent to help others should be as simplistic, clean & easy to navigate as possible. I don't really like the image of the dog though, it just doesn't seem to be working for me, IMHO perhaps you could try aiming for a more unique "mascot" or maybe even draw one yourself. Other than that good job it looks great.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At first, I thought the site was good. Then when I got to the homepage, I was ask to register just to use the search engine feature. Not a very good idea. Besides the search feature, there is nothing much to offer. I didn't enjoy my visit to your site, I was bored to death. This is how I felt.

www.myasp-net.com
    Dexter Zafra