Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HP && The half-wit Prince

So anyone read it yet?

Queued at 11:45pm Friday night with my daugter and her brother, he is just completing it (I've not been locked to it all weekend, but am nearing the end myself).

Not a bad effort at all - wonder how long until the final installment...
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Pointiest Petitions carrotflowers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finished it yesterday. My husband just started so I can't say a word! I see you haven't either, so I still can't say a word! I liked all the books a lot, although I generally thought Phoenix was a little weaker, and I felt this was was more back on form, writing - wise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stay hungry, stay foolish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOriginalH
    Not a bad effort at all - wonder how long until the final installment...
    I did read that Rowling said she won't even start writing until the new year.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Good grief! I really need to get my mind off work. When I read the title of this thread, I thought HP meant Hewlett Packard at first!
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by furryyuri
    ... I generally thought Phoenix was a little weaker, and I felt this was was more back on form, writing - wise.
    I agree that Phoenix was a little weaker. HBP was fantastic and is now my favourite after Goblet of Fire having been for so long.

Huge spoiler and question below:

What do you think: Did Dumbledore plead with Snape not to kill him or did he plead for Snape to kill him (Dumbledore knew he was going to die) so that Malfoy would not be forced to by the Death Eaters?

Keep all response in [ spoiler] [/ spoiler] tags please.

Sean
    Harry Potter

-- You lived inside my world so softly
    -- Protected only by the kindness of your nature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I don't miss (as I heard him referred to in another forum) CAPSLOCK Harry at all. As for your question,

MORE SPOILER BELOW
    This is one thing I did not like about the book. I felt it went too far, having him do him in. It to me even seemed unbelievable, rang a little false. But I have read the pretty good interpretation you mention, that he was pleading for Snape to do it rather than spare him. I lean that way because it's way beneath D to plead for his life. Some people have even suggested that D made an Unbreakable Vow and that was why he trusted him. I guess that makes sense although I don't think that D would feel the need to resort to that. At any rate I was totally unspoiled and 100% shocked when it happened. Even after he said Avada Kedavra I still thought that it wasn't real, that D had another trick up his sleeve. And who the HBP turned out to be, I didn't see that coming either. That twist I liked.

I think GOF is still my favorite, I love the Triwizard Tournament!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanf
    Keep all response in [ spoiler] [/ spoiler] tags please.

Sean

yeah..especially after this...!!

http://www.yubanet.com/artman/publis...le_22620.shtml

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goodness gracious, that reads like an Onion article. Ha, ha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I thought I was a fast reader...

Finished it yesterday ~7pm.
    Woulda been done saturday, but my finance was over for most of the day.

I had actually guessed Snape as the HBP, but thought it wasn't possible as I didn't think Snape was old enough to be him because of the publish date of the Potions book.
    As far as Dumbledores death goes, I knew it was going to happen, but I was way off on when & by who. I figured somewhere in book 7, Voldermort would finish off Dumbledore. Never would I have guessed it would be in that book and by Snape of all people. I was also disappointed about Harry leaving Ginny. Harry's practically a Weasley as it is. It just works him hooking up with Ginny and those two just seem right together. I hope that those 2 get back together in book 7.
    Honestly I believe (because of the amount of emphasis put on it by JK/Dumbledore in HBP) that love (aka Ginny) would be rather crucial to helping Harry defeat Voldermort.
    Now, some may say that Harry wasn't/couldn't be in love with Ginny yet. Hell, they were only together about a month. But anyone who's been in love would have picked up on the little hints that JK was dropping everytime Harry saw Ginny kissing some other guy, showing that it was more than just a crush.
    But anyway, these are just my speculations, and as Dumbledore said, I could be way off.
    Defender's Designs
    I'm Getting Married!

Not-so-patiently awaiting Harry Potter Book 7 *sigh*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I'll get it. I only read the first and second though, is that a problem?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxS
    Maybe I\'ll get it. I only read the first and second though, is that a problem?
    yes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definately don't read 6 until you've read 3-5.
    Defender's Designs
    I'm Getting Married!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bought it yesertday and have only started reading it to my son before bedtime. Won't pick it up for myself until I finished all of my work. The last book that came out I read it in a day... I don't have time for that kind of distraction right now unfortunately. But when I do... it will be wonderful.
    Sara

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ses5909
    Bought it yesertday and have only started reading it to my son before bedtime. Won't pick it up for myself until I finished all of my work. The last book that came out I read it in a day... I don't have time for that kind of distraction right now unfortunately. But when I do... it will be wonderful.
    You have a kid eh? Wow.
    Grats
    Defender's Designs
    I'm Getting Married!

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defender1
    I was also disappointed about Harry leaving Ginny. Harry's practically a Weasley as it is. It just works him hooking up with Ginny and those two just seem right together. I hope that those 2 get back together in book 7
    That continues the theme of a love and sacrifice though. Harry sacrifices his happiness for Ginny's safety - an act of true love.

As for them getting back together, I do think that JK Rowling will gave Harry some happiness at then end, but I have a horrible feeling she will kill Ginny in the final book. Ron and Hermione aside, JK kills everyone Harry becomes truly close to.

I would definitely recommend reading them in order or it will leave huge gaps in the plot or spoil the earlier books if you decide to read them at a later date.

Sean
    Harry Potter

-- You lived inside my world so softly
    -- Protected only by the kindness of your nature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanf
    As for them getting back together, I do think that JK Rowling will gave Harry some happiness at then end, but I have a horrible feeling she will kill Ginny in the final book. Ron and Hermione aside, JK kills everyone Harry becomes truly close to.
    Hmmm, ya I see your point.
    I would be thoroughly pissed if that's the case.
    I want a happy ending dammit.
    I could see that not happening in the hopes of changing that theme as Voldermot is defeated.
    Sort of goes with the old saying "it's darkest just before sunrise" or something like that.
    Also another reason why I don't see (hope!) Ginny die is Dumbledore's death seemed to me to be one helluva climax. The epitome of loss for Harry.
    So I'm hoping things will get better in book 7.
    Defender's Designs
    I'm Getting Married!

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never read any of the books but I saw a video of a kid driving by a Dallas Barnes & Noble (with people waiting outside for the book) screaming out the ending... You could hear a giant sigh. Definitely wrong and rude but it was somewhat entertaining.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that's just horrible.
    I'm suprised he wasn't shot.

I'm glad I get my HP books at the local supermarket.
    Screw B&Ns massive crouds.
    Defender's Designs
    I'm Getting Married!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that reminds me that recently I borrowed a library book and someone scrawled a major plot point on the inside cover. I was so mad! Who would do that?!

more spoilerage:

altho' I think it sucks that if you've subscribed to the thread you aren't protected from the stuff in spoiler tags. So if you're subscribed, don't read the next sentences...

It didn't bother me that H & G split up at the end, because I doubted that they are meant to stay split up. H's reasoning was really good, but like in the movies, even when Peter Parker stayed away from MJ for that reason she still got used as bait. Will Rowling do the same?

What kind of bothered me was that Rowling glossed over the whole relationship. She never really spent any time at all on any of their time together -- we saw more of his dates with Cho. I found that odd. Also, I totally buy that H could love G but I wish we'd learned a little moreabout why he thought he was other than she smelled like flowers and was funny.

But what really upset me was that Snape did it. I still can't talk about it at home and it's driving me crazy! I have to believe D made him but until I read that theory elsewhere, for hours I was a little upset by the book, it was like a wrong note... Now I think I'm ready to read it again!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defender1
    You have a kid eh? Wow.
    Grats

Yep.. two boys: ages 1 and 4.

They're pretty cool!
    Sara

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finished it last night - not dissapointed at all.

I think that splitting up with Ginny at the end of book six was an interesting move. And doing it at a funeral???! The whole thing reeks of being transient. I was actually kind of hoping that the H&G sub-plot speculation was wrong, and that Harry and Tonks would get together (and we'd see more development of her as a character)...but then I do like twists, and getting it on with Lupin certainly was one for me.

The Snape thing was also interesting. People are putting a huge amount of stock in Dumbledore being right about him, and looking for twists and explainations for his nastiness..... Could it not simply be that Dumbledore was just plain wrong? JK is all for lessons, and the realisation that even the most amazing people are fallable is an especially important "coming of age" one...actually seems kinda fitting.

Off Topic:

First time I've ever used the spoiler tags...very neat
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOriginalH
    The Snape thing was also interesting. People are putting a huge amount of stock in Dumbledore being right about him, and looking for twists and explainations for his nastiness..... Could it not simply be that Dumbledore was just plain wrong? JK is all for lessons, and the realisation that even the most amazing people are fallable is an especially important "coming of age" one...actually seems kinda fitting.
    The main reason I support the theory that Snape did it out of request and not betrayl is, as stated, Dumbledore would not beg for his life.
    He was begging for Snape to take his life.
    There's something that I'm sure will be revealed in the next book shedding light on this point.
    Defender's Designs
    I'm Getting Married!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very valid point actually....hmmm...

(realises how annoying this will look )