SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    true true, russ, DOS will truncate. I forgot about that. That is a last reort then.

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will I be able to handle this FDISK stuff? I hear it's pretty complicated stuff. As for errors: there arn't many. I get some fairly simple errors when I try to create folders and such.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris,

Boy, I knew you should have gone with Windows 2000 Professional. WinME is terrible, IMO, with poor driver support and something MS just threw together at the last moment. But that's not my point.

Do you have a CD burner that can burn data to CD-RWs? I suggest backing up all data that cannot be replaced, such as bookmarks, buddy lists, e-mails, settings, etc. When you're running into problems, backing up is the best thing to do to be safe.

There is an *excellent* piece written step-by-step by TechTV's Leo Laporte at: http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/pr...217085,00.html

You can do a dirty reinstall which will basically just install Windows over itself and replace any damaged files that may be causing you trouble.

Another thing is you could be having driver problems. Think back to when this problem occured and what changes you made to your system or what you installed. This is a good way to narrow down your problem.

Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what kind of errors? (almost sounds like some kind of access restriction thing going on. what kind of security does winME have?) also, can you remember the last thing(s) you did/installed when the os was working properly? Also, fdisk WILL lose all of your data, you would need partition magic to create a new partition without data loss (i think, well, 90% sure, he he, confidence inspireing huh?)
    אין סוף

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FDISK is touchy, definitely. I still recommend Partition Magic as the end-all, be-all partition maker that preserves data beyond a shadow of a doubt.

sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think Windows 2000 was available from Dell back then -- and if it was, I hadn't heard anything about it. Couple that with the fact that I'd heard good things about WinME up to that point, and I went for it. Oh well.

Yeah, I've got a CD burner, but as before, I can't browse my hard drive or anything through Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought WinMe at a computer show...installed it for one week and went straight back to win98. as for Win2k by Dell, They still don't offer Win2k except for business models. Same for Gateway, IBM and all the other major manufacturers. WinMe is branded for the consumer so thats what they put on. I'm going to a computer show in VA on Saturday and I'm looking for Win2k.

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Chris, have you double-checked you have the latest drivers for all your hardware? Done a virus scan? Updated virus definitions? (I apologize if you covered that earlier in the thread, as I skimmed posts.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I havn't checked drivers -- everyone I ask is pointing elsewhere...not to mention I really havn't installed anything at all lately. I've run Virus Scans recently (no viruses have EVER been found on this computer), but I cannot update my definitions again, because I cannot connect to the Internet. I last updated them 2 weeks ago, though.

Sketch: brilliant idea. I made a startup disk based on another computer here that uses WinME, and I've gotten into DOS! Woohoo! Much obliged, Obi-Wan. I've located my MS Outlook file (the one I want to save, above all), but it's 25MB: I can wait out copying onto 15 floppy disks or so, but I don't know how to copy one file onto multiple disks. Can that be done?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better yet: can I access my CDRW drive through DOS? I've started up in DOS with CD ROM support, but when I try a DIR command when in that drive, I get Can't Read error...A/R/Fail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dos won't support writing to a CDR, sorry. you need 3rd party software to burn CDs. BTW can you get into WinME's safe mode?
    אין סוף

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think so -- It boots up just fine, GUI and all, it just doesn't work when it does. The inner workings seem messed up, somehow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris, I would see if there's anyway possible to backup your extremely crucial data onto a CD-RW or two and then do a "dirty" reinstall of Windows. You won't lose your data.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I'm trying, though I'm asking Sketch about floppy disks, because there doesn't seem to be anyway to make use of the CD-RW. If there were, I'd be home free already. Just wanna backup that Outlook file before reinstallation, to be safe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can use pkzip to span files onto floppies. i don't remember the syntax though, and it aint exactly pretty. (especially with a 25meg file) BTW, you should be able to hit the f8 key when rebooting somewhere between the ESCD info and before the GUI starts loading (in win98, again, i'm assuming millenium follows this pattern) and then selecting safe mode from the menu
    אין סוף

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone got advice on PKZip, then? I used it when I was like 9, but I don't remember it from back then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TWTCommish
    Anyone got advice on PKZip, then? I used it when I was like 9, but I don't remember it from back then.
    I haven't used it in a looooooong time either, but from what I remember you can just type pkzip (from the directory containing pkzip.exe of course) and it will print out on screen the proper syntax and options.

BTW, this may be a dumb question, but is that computer on a network? If it is, you might be able to access it from another PC on the network and transfer the files over. But I'm guessing if it was you'd have already tried it hunh...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from www.pkware.com:

6. How do I span floppy diskettes?

To zip a single large file to multiple floppy diskettes, you should use the -& option. An example of this would be:
    pkzip -& a:\backup.zip c:\myfile.ext
    In the above example, A:\backup.zip is the .ZIP file to be created and C:\myfile.ext is the large file I wished to compress across the diskettes.
    אין סוף

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you russ -- I'll try that! How would I restore it later, though? And yeah, dominique, I've tried that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I was right. If you get PKZIP for Dos from Cnet at http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0...lst-7-2.907088 , double click on the file to extract it and then in dos type pkzip it will give you the details on how to use it.

Just tried it out and it says:

Code:
    PKZIP -&[f|u|l|h|w|v] zipfile_you_wish_to_create file(s)_you_wish_to_zip
    -&[f|u|l|h|w|v]
    Span multiple disks: [Format|Unconditional format|Low density|High density|Wipe disk|enable dos Verify]
    Last edited by dominique; Jul 12, 2001 at 13:50.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooops, sorry Russ, I didn't notice that you beat me to the punch already!

Chris, to restore the files you can/must use the oposite tool pkunzip (it should come with pkzip, at least with the version I linked it does). But hopefully you will only need to restore once Windows is working again at which point you can use WinZip or something a little easier to use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i believe it's like:

pathtopkzipstuff\pkunzip a:\myzipfile.zip pathtorestoredfile\originalfilename.ext

and it will ask for the last disk in the set before extracting (make sure you label the disks!)
    Use Dominique's tip for the pkunzip syntax
    good luck

!!(make sure all your floppies are good before starting)
    אין סוף

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To unzip use the following syntax (I tested it on my HD, not on a floppy and not with a spanned archive, but I'm guessing it should work the same):

Code:
    From floppy:
    A:> c:\PKUNZIP outlookmail.zip C:\windows\mail

Or from HD:
    C:> PKUNZIP a:\outlookmail.zip C:\windows\mail
    Of course the filenames and paths are just examples. There is not need to specify the name of the file in the archive (as there are usually many files anyways).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oops, you're right doh!
    אין סוף

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do I likely have PKZip accessible from DOS on my computer already?