SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PHP and PEAR vs. Ruby and Rails

I was sent a link to http://www.rubyonrails.com and I checked it out (if you haven't, check out their 15 min. 50 MB intro video). It is pretty amazing. With Ruby on Rails, as the movie shows, he created a complete blog system in 58 lines of code, which would take many more lines than that to do in PHP (if you want to debate this point, go ahead, but that's not the point of this discussion).

The language seems incredibly straightforward, powerful, and very fast because it is simple.

So, have many of you out there used Ruby for web programming in place of something that you could have done in PHP? How would you compare using PHP to using Ruby?

Would it be worth it to learn Ruby and use it as a first-choice for web programming? What are the drawbacks?

Is there a way in PHP that does what Rails does for Ruby, in that it makes programming more simple and fast and it takes care of redundancy? Perhaps I just haven't looked far enough, but does PEAR do this? --- allow for more rapid development and bundle commands for easy use?
    Last edited by Fotinakis; Jul 16, 2005 at 21:15.
    - Fotinakis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RoR is truly amazing. I've only toyed with it, but it seems quite handy.

I prefer PHP's syntax.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also really interested in this topic. Has anyone out there had a true "I've seen the light" experience? Are people really dropping PHP completely for RoR? It's a bit of a learning curve I think so I'd love to hear others' comments before diving in the deep end. Is it really THAT great? (coming from PHP)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at Cake and their example on how to build a simple blog. I haven't really played around with this yet, but it might be interesting to take a look at.

Edit:

Well, I suppose it's more of a forum system, isn't it? Whatever, you get the idea. :P
    "Sa souvraya niende misain ye."
    - Robert Jordan, The Wheel of Time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using Basecamp for a while now... Rails framwork was actually built upon it, and all I can say is - pretty much amazing. Haven't had time to grasp it so far, but IMO when it comes to RAD tools, RonR will have its piece of cake.

The only question is will success story of 37signals bring up critical mass of developers and applications to make it sustainable on OpenSource market...
    Last edited by boccio; Jul 23, 2005 at 12:53.
    Vivvo CMS - Web publishing at your fingertips
    Mile voli disko, a ja belo kolumbijsko

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also haven't used RoR, but consider that hosting that supports PHP is almost universal, but its very difficult to find hosts that support RoR.

I'd love to play around more with the language, but I've not found any local hosts that support it (or even Canadian hosts).