SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who's opinion is worth more?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Developer's

3 15.79%
  • Client's

16 84.21%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rge: It's not an issue of arrogance, but of "if you don't want the level of expertise we have to offer, we can refer you to someone with less expertise".

Go ahead, ask IBM to do you a chip done with rubber connectors instead of gold... ya know? There comes a time when you can't do "piddly" things for your client.

Though I don't look forward to having the above option (or that much arrogance) part of running a large business becomes "which clients are worth having", and many clients aren't for larger businesses.

This isn't arrogance, it is just a progression away from "the customer is always right" to "let's make everything right for the customer" and that requires a certain level of flexibility on the customer's part...

Am I making sense or just offending folk, I just reread the above and I'm not sure how to make it clearer but it almost sounds offending even to me... So, if it offends you try and see the perspective I'm trying to explain before replying Sorry about confusion, maybe sketch can rewrite
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoa whoa whoa -- this is not about whether or not a developer can become arrogant. The client can become arrogant. People love to pretend that they know what they're talking about, especially when it comes to the web. I've been micro-managed by clients in the past, despite the fact that they have no idea what looks good or works well.

The poll is this: which opinion is worth more? The answer is painfully obvious, when you look at the actual question itself. Glancing over it briefly does not work, as is shown in the poll results.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, arrogance is a widespread thing (especially near my fingers). Many of us have had to fight hard to get where we are, bs a bit, but mostly not back down and thus clients and companies alike are often loathe to admit being wrong or not knowing something. (no criticism on anyone with the above, or on twt's post, just my observation)
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright