SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

frontpage guestbook HELP ME!

HI Im having trouble with me guestbook that was created with front page, when comments are summited page opens with file not found. Need a lot of info on this one please, for me toget it, ok html code for guestbook is

<html>

<head>
    <meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 5.0">
    <meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="en-us">
    <title>We</title>
    </head>

<body>

<p><font face="Comic Sans MS"><b>
    <!--webbot bot="PurpleText" preview="Guest Book - Use this page to collect the reactions of visitors to your web site. All of the comments submitted by users will go to a different page, 'guestlog.htm' by default, which is then included below. If you want to use a different file to capture comments, change the File Name selected in the Form Properties dialog and in the Page URL of the Include component below the form." -->
    </b></font></p>
    <hr>
    <p><font face="Comic Sans MS" color="#FF00FF"><b>We'd like to know what you
    think about our web site. Please leave your comments in this public guest book
    so we can share your thoughts with other visitors.</b></font></p>
    <form method="POST" action="_derived/nortbots.htm" webbot-action="--WEBBOT-SELF--" onSubmit="location.href='_derived/nortbots.htm';return false;" webbot-onSubmit>
    <!--webbot bot="SaveResults" u-file="guestlog.htm" s-format="HTML/DL" s-label-fields="TRUE" s-builtin-fields="Date Time REMOTE_USER" s-form-fields startspan --><input TYPE="hidden" NAME="VTI-GROUP" VALUE="0"><!--webbot bot="SaveResults" i-checksum="43374" endspan --><font face="Comic Sans MS" color="#FF00FF"><b>
    </b></font>
    <h2><font face="Comic Sans MS" color="#FF00FF"><strong>Add Your Comments</strong></font></h2>
    <p><font face="Comic Sans MS" color="#FF00FF"><b>
    <textarea name="Comments" rows="8" cols="52"></textarea></b></font></p>
    <p><font face="Comic Sans MS"><b><font color="#FF00FF">
    <input type="submit" value="Submit Comments">
    <input type="reset" value="Clear Comments"><br>
    <br>
    <em style="font-style: normal">After you submit your comments, you will need
    to reload this page with your browser in order to see your additions to the
    log.</em></font></b></font></p>
    </form>
    <!--webbot bot="Include" tag="BODY" u-include="guestlog.htm" startspan --><!--webbot bot="Include" i-checksum="0" endspan --><hr>
    <h5><font face="Comic Sans MS" color="#FF00FF">Author information goes here.<br>
    Copyright © 2001 by [OrganizationName]. All rights reserved.<br>
    Revised:
    <!--webbot bot="TimeStamp" s-type="Edited" s-format="%m/%d/%y %H:%M:%S %Z" startspan -->07/13/05 11:57:44 -0000<!--webbot bot="TimeStamp" i-checksum="32736" endspan -->.</font></h5>

</body>

</html>

IS THIS CORRECT?

QUESTION 2. DO I NEED TO ASK MY HOST/SERVER TO CREATE ANY FOLDER OR FILES FOR THIS TO WORK?

I HAVE NOTICED 4 NEW FOLDERS HAVE BEEN CREATED ON MY HARD DRIVE (_DERIVED/_PRIVATE/_VTI_CNF/_VTI_PVT) DO I NEED TO UPLOAD ANY OF THESE FOLDERS TO THE SERVER?

THANKS FOR THE HELP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are going to have a hard time getting help on this one... most people here do not use FrontPage because itís the devil.
    Steven Watkins
    Chief Web Ninja
    Code Monkey Interactive
    lowgravity.ca

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my server dont support cgi, and free guestbooks come with adds and banners do u know of any other options?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does your sever support PHP and MySQL?
    Steven Watkins
    Chief Web Ninja
    Code Monkey Interactive
    lowgravity.ca

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    probebly not this is a basic hosting package i got for free from my isp its ASCII if that means any thing to you. however i think the problem is with my server they have to turn the frontpage server extensions on this will be done tomorrow hopfuly this will fix the issue, thanks for your time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stebbi
    probebly not this is a basic hosting package i got for free from my isp its ASCII if that means any thing to you. however i think the problem is with my server they have to turn the frontpage server extensions on this will be done tomorrow hopfuly this will fix the issue, thanks for your time.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that any premade frontpage things require the frontpage extentions installed on the server. That should fix the problem.

On a side note, stop using Frontpage and get something like Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004. Its a far better WYSIWYG editor than frontpage. Any you will be able to ask questions about problems you have with it and not have people guess. Most people at sitepoint do not use FrontPage so its hard to get answers about frontpage problems.
    Steven Watkins
    Chief Web Ninja
    Code Monkey Interactive
    lowgravity.ca

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, i have dreamwaever mx i made the cgi based guestbook with that to find out after that its not supported ,the type of guestbook i want is on submit a new page will open with the posted comments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use a hosted guest book. They are hosted for you and all you do is link to them. Thats going to work for you.

Or use frontpage like you wanted to.
    Steven Watkins
    Chief Web Ninja
    Code Monkey Interactive
    lowgravity.ca

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure there are quite a few opensource guestbooks available, you can change the settings to suit your needs if you are a coder.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi again i was just looking at your website stephen very impressive! well as it goes i have contected my isp again, we are now on first names basis. im having my site moved to another machine that will support PHP MYSQL and CGI, didnt like this frontpage to many hidden files and stuff, will read up on PHP and MYSQL ,see how that goes.

Thanks for the help