SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Online Personal Portfolio

Just wanna have some tips for Personal Portfolio site.

from design aspects, contents, etc.

Thx guys, keep Diggin'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For starters it needs to be very slick! Make it the way your ideal clients would want their site in an ideal world.

Include screenshots of your portfolio works with a short case study (eg "We built a site for Jim Beam about his crack addiction so his kids could find out about his problems interactively") and then link the screenshot and title to the site itself and maybe show the clients testimonial if you have it!

The main thing is make it the best work you have ever done, people will subconciously assume that their site will be no better than your portfolio..

Hope that helps!
    SiteOptions >> Services :: Products :: Contact
    Developers of PHP, C++, Visual Basic, MySQL, and more!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank You Mad =) I'll keep that i mind

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One approach it to make the portfolio very simple, so visitor's ingnore the portfolio itself and instead concentrate on the URLs and examples you provide within it. A few high-end design firms use this approach and it seems to be successful. Minimalist designs work well here.

Other stuff you should include, besides a top-notch design and loads of examples, is contact details - even a form, perhaps an abridges version of your CV listing qualifications and experience, work experience history, basically anything that sells you as a designer and tells people "Hey, look, i'm good, hire me and pay me lots of money"

Good luck!

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips Fluffykins =)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello again mojomaru

Hope all is well.

Some quick stats from my site for the top 5 pages:
    (www.tailored.com.au)

Case studies
    Breaking News
    The Team
    Free stuff
    Site Info

"Case studies" pulls twice as many visitors as any other page.

We get very few direct leads from the site, but find it useful in demonstrating our expertise.

We did have a 1 page web site that listed our clients and that worked better at generating enquiries and clients than the site we currently have.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Jackman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whats the logic behind jackmans last post???
    show them less they ask more.... hmm so why did you keep the current setup instead of rehashing the old one???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks iTec

That's the point - I have no idea why the old 1 page site could possibly generate more leads than the site we currently have.

Now let's go through a couple of reasons why we have the site we do now rather than the 'lead generating' site:

* Old site generates more enquiries with a far less conversion to sale ratio (i.e. 15:1, now 3:1)

* Old site generated enquiris from those that were not our target market (ie. "I want a 2 page site and I only have $50". The site we currently have has directly led to a $6,000 site and 2 strong leads worth about $12,000 in the last week alone)

* Old site averaged 3 weeks to bring the prospect from first contact to sale

* Old site generated lots and lots of tyre kickers

* New site much more effectively positions us as technologically advanced and thuis enables us to be perceived as better quality - leads to being able to charge more.

The new site better positions our business and demonstrates our expertise a lot more effectively to clients.

It enables us to begin developing the relationships with the key players that we want as our clients.

It answers a lot of questions that would normally flow through to us and take a significant amount of my resources to answer.

I detect some smugness in your response with the "mm so why did you keep the current setup instead of rehashing the old one???"

It's certainly not a case of "Show them less so they ask for more". It a case of carefully analysing your business, your marketing strategies, your utilisation of resources, your profitability on small jobs, etc.

If you think I should continue with a site that generates me 100 enquiries a week that take 12 hours work to deal with, that go on and on for weeks, that leads to 6 sales at an average profit of $100, rather than a site that generates 10 enquiries that take 2 hours to deal with, that provides 5 sales at a profit of $2,000 each then you are simply wrong and need to review your current business practices.

Hope that helps iTec.

Regards

Jackman
    Last edited by Jackman; Jul 12, 2001 at 17:08.