User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mad-onion
    I picked up on it aspen...i think most people here know you are ALOT more experienced and skilled than all those silly teachers they send on 2 week frontpage courses (my school does that!), makes me cringe!
    Some of them even have the nerve to talk down to me about webdesign/development because they have a little piece of paper and i am self taught...
    </rant>
    I feel sorry for those teachers they send on web design courses. I'm in a pretty unique position in that I teach some of those courses in the UK! I teach FrontPage and Dreamweaver to college staff in the UK. I also dabble in teaching HTML, basic Flash, Fireworks and some of the theory stuff. They do have it hard though. They get sent on this 3 day course, often having no experience of web design at all, we try and teach them as much as we can to get them off on the right foot, but when they get back they've no time to consolidate what they've learned or improve on it.

There was one lady, who, after getting back from the course was expected to build a website, an Intranet and an online learning system in the hour a week she was allocated in her workload model. The point i'm trying to make here, maybe to defend the poor teachers a bit, is that they're expected a lot of, and as you all know being good at web design takes a lot of time, practice, more practice, yet more practice and effort. It can't be taught, you need to spend time learning about the technologies, about design, about usability and all that.

I'm veering way off topic here I know, so i'll shut up now

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by delemtri
    beley: I don't mean to start anything, but again (I think we had a sort of mini-discussion about this in another thread) your post about "14-year-old web designers" is both inaccurate and slightly offensive.
    I'm 14 and I completly agree with what beley is saying. I have friends that think they can make web pages for people just because they now HTML. The only sites the ever made where clan sites for starcraft with black star backgrounds and flames all over the place. This is what he's talking about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But Justin, look at Fluffykins's post above, and you'll see that this is true of adults too. Some people just don't understand the amount of work that has to go into work and learning.

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When looking for computer knowledge and eagerness to learn, I usually look towards the younger crowd because they seem to catch on quicker.

When looking for experience, professionalism, practices tried-and-true, and business/tech knowledge, I head towards the adults right away. Why? Experience . No matter how much some 14 year old designer may know, the adult knows more (not referring to FP wanna be's). They may not necessarily know more about computers, but they no more about life, and that is extremely important to building a business/websites.
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oliver,

I was looking through the websites in your signature file and didn't find much. Do you have a portfolio? I'd like to see what you have done...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I'm just starting out... Maybe I'm being a bit hypocritical? I dunno. I'm working on a few PHP projects at the moment, so hopefully I'll be able to add them to my portfolio soon.

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To save your name, I would recommend you calm down a little about being 14. It's hard to argue a point when you have nothing to back you up. Don't sweat it, I was the same way. Although now I wish I would have listened to advice more when I was your age, sure would have saved me some time...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I see your point. But I'm not the only "young'un" here, there's quite a few skilled designers of my age on SitePoint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yessss

G'day, I can see your problem with the friend asking for free help. Of course you could understand giving them advice with simple stuff, easy things to expalin in like 5 minutes. But when someone asks you to totally guide them through building a website, it is crazy.

I was in a similar situation when I did a mail out of letters to my local commity (most stores and shops recieved one). My friend works for on of these shops and his boss recieved the letter. The boss asked me through my friend roughly how much it would cost to set up a website. I told him I would really have to review what he wanted first, anyway after adding the domain rego, server hire, etc, the boss decided that he did not want to pay for the site to be made.

Then the next day, my friend asks me "what is the best program to make websites", I told him dreamweaver without thinking, and he then went on to expain that his boss wanted him to make the site instead and "he might need my help along the way". I was pretty pissed at this, and am refusing to help him, personally I dont think the site will ever make it off the ground!!!