SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is great stuff. However, I've heard of the danger of introducing/triggering memory leakds in browsers if the request object isn't handled properly. Can any expound on this , or help me so I don't crash my users' browsers?
    Brian

Francisco Arias
    SitePoint Community Guest
    The Other Remote Scripting.
    There is another way to make dynamical and selective refresh in web pages, without using innerHTML non-standard attribute and without using XMLHTTP non-standard element. Only with ECMAScript and a correct use of the DOM model. I am working in a new frame for PHP that uses remote scripting without innerHTML, iframes, Applets or XMLHTTP...Only dynamicaly creating <script> nodes and setting the 'src' attribute to the correct server script.
    Client Side-->Event-->javascript:create node "script" with "src"=filephp?args.
    The filephp return all the ECMAScript code necessary to update the page. All theses elements are standard and cross-browser, cross-platform.

SitePoint Addict Richard Conyard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://domscripting.webstandards.org/

May be of interest.

john.l.edwards@gmail.com
    How do you handle multi-tasking with AJAX? I have a need to return to the server on a periodic basis to see if additional search results have been found, but in the meantime I want the user to be able to issue sort commands on the data that has already appeared. Do I need to hand-create the multi-tasking for this on the page, or is there a way that AJAX relinquishes control between requests to the server?
    Great article by the way.

techie
    - if connection .abort()ed handler still receives event with 4th readyState and 200th status, so you need to check for requester.responseText.length != 0 field

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do get the respond xml length? How many items are returned?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Resolved:

requester.getXML().firstChild.childNodes.length

Jeff
    Please write more about this. There are so many questions I have, such as getting arrays and stuff

Benjy
    Great Article but i would like to see more information on how to do stuff.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All, I'm new here be nice to me...
    Another great resource besides studying Cam's article, which I've not done enough of... would be to hack around w/ this Apple Developer's coded version...
    I'm going to link out to my own page because from there you can get to the Apple article and also a .zip archive I've made from the Mac image file that they offer as a download (no good for a windows machine).
    XMLHttpRequest Demo
    I've been trying to dissect the Apple code as much as possible, and as a newbie to the forum's here thought this an appropriate thread to bring it up...

Thanks....
    TzMedia... [hangin' w/ the big boyZ] nice smilies here lol

vba
    where is the third example talked about?

Sanx
    Some information on the format of the expected XML response would have been nice too.

Sourav Majumdar
    I am an IT professional (Project Leader), working in a renowned Software Company in India owned by TATA. I am going to customise a 2 tier application to a 3 tier one for our Insurance clients. I am using AJAX as one of the technologies to be used and found this article very simple but thorough and esy to understand. This article helped me a lot to get hold of certain performence related aspects over WAN. Looking forward to get more detailed notes on advaced usage of AJAX in future which wil definitely help me a lot.

CHaiS
    This is a good example, very easy to understand.

Nice work.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How can i stop my server side ajax scripts from being used by someone else?

Ok i know that a XMLHttpRequest's must be made from the same domain but what is to stop some one calling the server scripts with some other method such as directly in an iframe or using fsockopen etc?

For example say i create a little server side script that checks an email address exists, and that script just returns the text "true" or "false", then what is to stop anyone using it (along with my processing resource and bandwith)?

HTTP_REFERER cannot be relied upon so what can be done to ensure my server scripts only respond to 'my' webpages?
    Last edited by Dino1; Jan 18, 2006 at 06:22.

Jagmohan Singh Rathore
    This article prove to be very interesting for beginners, for easy grasping.

Umesh Patel
    This is an excellent article!

Surjan Singh
    this article is helpful for the programmer who dont know about ajax technology

paramvir
    It proved to be an eye opener to me.

otomo
    very good introduction to ajax. thanks

Muhammad Ali Chughtai
    excellent article for ajax beginners

Andrew AJAXson
    I needed this call to make it work with a POST
    requestor.setRequestHeader('Content-Type','application/x-www-form-urlencoded');

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent introduction to AJAX

Amanda
    Well-written. Great how-to for AJAX.

andy_ger
    Nice! The only one thing I miss is how to do this on two DIFFERENT machines with different domains. That is, have JavaScript on Machine 1, fetch data from PHP (Server 2) and then return back to JS!
    Might be impossible, since Cameron stated that source and destination must be on the same domain.