SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

recruiting letter advice

I come to you for some quality advice. As you know I am starting a International currency trading (FOREX) community forum. I need some good advice on preparing a recruiting letter amid at FOREX professionals to Moderate the forums. I have a list of over 60 firms that I work with on a daily basses, So they know me well , But I'm just a little stumped on how I should format this recruiting letter to enhance their interests on coming aboard. I'm interested in hearing from anyone with good suggestions regarding the format of this recruiting letter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually find it best to choose moderators from an already established member base. I consider it a way of rewarding active members who bring something to the community. When approaching people about moderator positions, I thank them for their participation and contributions to the site, then ask them if they would be interested in a more active role.

The key is to make the request personal - not just anyone will do, you're inviting a special person to perform a special function. I would avoid sending a mass mail/form letter asking to see who is interested. I would decide who you think would bring the most to the community and approach them on an individual basis, letting them know why you're interested in having them become an active part of your community, and what you think the community will be able to offer them in return. A 'recruiting letter' sounds a little impersonal to me, which runs counter to what I think of as 'community'.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have to agree here. When you first start a forum based community you don't need a lot of moderators. It would do good to start with maybe one other person beside yourself.

As your community grows, people will come to the forefront in their participation and dedication to your growing community. These are the people you should approach. Since they are already members in the community, you can get to know them through their own musing and participation.

When I am looking for new Advisors (my version of a moderator), I will watch them for up to a month and follow their actions. I will also ask my current advisors what they think about different people. Some people work out and others don't.

Becoming a volunteer moderator is a lot work and some don't realize how much until after they say yes.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Great Points By All. I agree.

After your Community is full of members, You might wan't to think about taking publick applications.

For years I've done it the other way by invite only with great results. Recently, I tried this new way of public apps as an experiment.

It was certainly lot's more work but the end result was an outstanding new Moderator. The benifit that this procedure has is that it permits me to actaully see who wan'ts to formally volunteer and their were some very pleasent surprises and thoughts that I couldn't have imagined. Some of those "lesser qualified" have joined my "watch list"

Also, often "the Community will speak" which is a term I like to use a lot

They often send overt as well as subtle signals on exactly who they "admire" and "trust"

It's a neat and rewarding thing to watch.

I hope this helps you in some way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Great Points By All. I agree.

Originally posted by Steve_S
    After your Community is full of members, You might wan't to think about taking publick applications.

For years I've done it the other way by invite only with great results. Recently, I tried this new way of public apps as an experiment.

It was certainly lot's more work but the end result was an outstanding new Moderator. The benifit that this procedure has is that it permits me to actaully see who wan'ts to formally volunteer and their were some very pleasent surprises and thoughts that I couldn't have imagined. Some of those "lesser qualified" have joined my "watch list"

Also, often "the Community will speak" which is a term I like to use a lot

They often send overt as well as subtle signals on exactly who they "admire" and "trust"

It's a neat and rewarding thing to watch.

I hope this helps you in some way.
    hi ya Steve

looking for moderators is extremely hard indeed

i just reopened new registrations on my forum and in 7 days, 156 new members joined and with 100+ forums and 1 - 2k posts/day and only 20 odd mods it's getting harder to find mods who have a level head when dealing with sometimes troublesome members

But i think that choosing from existing members is a good idea especially since members can relate to them better than a total stranger