SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same two letters next to each other in domain...

What are your opinions on domains with the same letter next to each other? i.e. doggrooming.com, or harddecisions.com, etc... Do you think it really matters or would you suggest placing a dash even though it's not recommended?

-Rocko
    "If it's taking up my time, then it must be good!" -Rocko

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you mean "Do you think it really matters"? Are you worried that someone will not see the duplicate letter and therefore miss your site? This has never been a problem for me, especially when the site's logo does something to differentiate the two words. I even have one of those domains myself (offroaddepot.com) and it hasn't crossed my mind to take concern of the duplicate letters.
    ~Dorian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When a user is typing it I don't see it being a problem. If you're using it in print advertising sometimes mistakes can be made with domains that have duplicate letters like mentioned above. The solution would be to list it as DogGrooming.com or HardDecisions.com on anything printed.

I wouldn't bother with the hyphenated versions since they don't really help your search engine ranking at all anymore and I hate typing hypens.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would strongly suggest that you just space out the two words or phrases with a dash. Double letters are the WORST domains out there; they're hard for visitors to remember, hard to type in, and doesn't help you at all...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it really presents much of a problem, but if you're really worried that users will miss typing the double letter, you could always register the single letter version as well (e.g. dogrooming.com).

That's probably not necessary unless you (or you visitors) are really nerotic about it though.
    -- Jeremy Maddock
    SEOMix.com - Search Engine Optimization Tips
    My Blog - Business, tech, and politics from a webmaster's perspective

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless someone can present some compelling evidence to the contrary I am going to continue to believe that people who want Dog Grooming will type in doggrooming into their address bar.

I accept that people can be lazy, but the lazy feelings that make them want to avoid raising and lowering their finger a second time on the 'g' key is outweighed by the knowledge that when they arrive at the wrong website they will then have to edit the address that they typed in by carefully positioning their cursor next to the existing g, type an extra g, and then use their other hand to hit the Enter key.
    work: revs | ecru
    reviews: films | mp3s
    projects: Glastonbury Tor | London IT support