SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    175
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    phpBB and vBulletin

    Hi all,
    I have a few questions to ask about these two forums.

    1. What are the advantages does VB has over phpbb? Since I have to pay to use it, I would like to know what are the perks.

    2. If I run my site with phpBB now, is it possible to migrate the posts to VB later on?

    3. Are there any other free forums that is considered better that phpBB?

    Thanks for your time.
    http://winnielim.com- Portfolio site

  2. #2
    SitePoint Zealot vodica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    SLovenia
    Posts
    107
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if this will help but....

    I use Tforum, I kind of like it! It is pretty darn good!

    Check [url]http://php.resourceindex.com[url] and see forums and chats and you will find a rated list of all forums there!

    Hope this helps
    while(true) sheep++;

  3. #3
    Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Harbinger, NC, U.S.A.
    Posts
    4,126
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: phpBB and vBulletin

    Ok, first I wanted to say that vBulletin is the best forum and the best pay forum while I feel that phpBB is the best free forum.

    Now for your questions:

    Originally posted by xharine
    1. What are the advantages does VB has over phpbb? Since I have to pay to use it, I would like to know what are the perks.
    More features of the box, less work required to make it look nice in other words.

    Originally posted by xharine
    2. If I run my site with phpBB now, is it possible to migrate the posts to VB later on?
    I think so, if not, it probably will be. Not sure on this one.

    Originally posted by xharine
    3. Are there any other free forums that is considered better that phpBB?
    Not in my book, but there is one other one that I like and I think it has promise: XMB - http://www.xmbforum.com - it has many good features out of the box.

    I have my own phpBB website at http://www.phpbbhacks.com as well as phpBB's in action at:

    http://www.phpbbhacks.com/forum
    http://www.sportsforums.net
    http://www.karateforums.com

    I hope this helps.

  4. #4
    Blissed off
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    422
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the forums in my sig if you want to see another hacked phpBB. It's nice software and the upcoming 2.0 *which is now in alpha* will be even nicer!

  5. #5
    Sports Publisher mjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    5,891
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: phpBB and vBulletin

    Originally posted by xharine
    Hi all,
    I have a few questions to ask about these two forums.

    1. What are the advantages does VB has over phpbb? Since I have to pay to use it, I would like to know what are the perks.

    2. If I run my site with phpBB now, is it possible to migrate the posts to VB later on?

    3. Are there any other free forums that is considered better that phpBB?

    Thanks for your time.
    These are more opinion questions than anything so you won't get any one "correct" answer.

    1. There are numerous advantages vB has over phpBB. That's why one is $160 and one is free. vB doesn't have the sloppy, possibly buggy code phpBB has, it has all the features phpBB has and more. (Many hacks that are required in phpBB are installed as the default in vB.) vB's control panel is unmatched. It's features allow you to virtually custmoze your vB to anyway of your liking.

    2. phpBB is good because it's easy on the server and is quick. But I like IkonBoard - sure, it's CGI, but it has better features and a better look, IMO.

  6. #6
    SitePoint Addict Seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Lyons, Colorado
    Posts
    391
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Burning Board?

    http://www.woltlab.de
    http://www.woltlab.de/foren/board.php?boardid=29

    I still don't know if it's a copy of vBulletin, I mean any board can be made to look like VB. It's free, works quite well and supposedly an english version is on the way. I'm suprised I hear so little about this one.
    Everything has been figured out, except how to live. - Jean-Paul Sartre (1905-1980)


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •