SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Making a better wheel silver trophy DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<b> and <i> or <strong> and <em>?

which tag do you guys think is the "correct" or better one to use? of course, in all the browsers i've seen they render the same, but some people mantain that "you don't want text to necessarily be bold or italic, but rather use strong and em and let the browser render it however it chooses."

on the same note, should i use <s> or <strike>? i know they're both deprecated but...

just wondering which i should use. so LMK. thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from a designer's point of view, I say that if two tags are identical in output, use the one that is shortest. It's cleaner and uses less space (memory-wise). as for the italics and such, id say that if you want it to be obvious that something is italic... if you are stressing a sylobol (lol how do you spell??) or a phrase, use italic. If you are making a subheading, use bold. basically, use universal markings.
    If it doesn't have to be obvious like these examples, experiment. That is, just make sure that when the browser has control over the look of text, it's not going to interfere with anything on the site in any way, whether it be size, readability, clarity, or anything else

hope i helped =)

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is recommended to not use <b> and <i> because they are presentation tags. Of course W3C is trying to move all presentation to CSS.

<strong> and <em>, though they display the same as <b> and <i>, are actually structural markup.

HTH.

Xbox why have you forsaken me? moospot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    syllable

Former Staff Member silver trophy Adam P.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard of both, but <b> and <i> always come through better for me. I've checked between the 4 different ones on different computers and different browsers, and <b> and <i> always give me the look of the text that I want.
    SPF Mentor/Advisor 2001-2003
    SPF Designer of the Year 2002
    SPF Graphic Designer of the Year 2003
    AdamPolselli.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to use styles because netscape 4 doesn't ike the <b> tag. Styles make it easier to keep the same font weight and face across the whole site.

You can always 'style' your <b> tag so that its a certain weight(700=bold), that way it looks the same in all browsers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by duckie
    It is recommended to not use <b> and <i> because they are presentation tags. Of course W3C is trying to move all presentation to CSS.

<strong> and <em>, though they display the same as <b> and <i>, are actually structural markup.
    great, that's what i thought, but wasn't sure! i guess i should use strong and em if they're preferred.

Originally posted by moospot
    I tend to use styles because netscape 4 doesn't ike the <b> tag. Styles make it easier to keep the same font weight and face across the whole site.

You can always 'style' your <b> tag so that its a certain weight(700=bold), that way it looks the same in all browsers.
    i haven't had any problem w/ b in NS 4 (4.7 anyway). but there's TONS of problems w/ CSS.

yeah, thanks, i know about the font-weight property.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that there are plenty of Netscape CSS issues, but the <b> just doesnt work for me in Netscape 4. I just tried it out on a page of mine. IE is bold; NN is not bold. If you havent had any problems, then great, but I suspect that there are more people like me that have problems with netscape.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by moospot
    I know that there are plenty of Netscape CSS issues, but the <b> just doesnt work for me in Netscape 4. I just tried it out on a page of mine. IE is bold; NN is not bold. If you havent had any problems, then great, but I suspect that there are more people like me that have problems with netscape.
    ok, thanks again. i'll keep that in mind and try to correct it somehow - using CSS or whatever. thanks 'gain.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by geiger
    from a designer's point of view, I say that if two tags are identical in output, use the one that is shortest. It's cleaner and uses less space (memory-wise).
    This is a shameful attitude! Sorry I am picking on you BTW!

We tend to forget that the Internet is NOT about visual design only! As mentioned previously the STRONG and EM tags are structural markup tags. HTML is a structural markup language and we should try and avoid the misuse of it as often as possible. By using B and I instead we are constraining the effects of those tags to visual representaton only. Not everybody browses the Internet in what we consider the "standard" way. There are many alternative access methods, speech being one of the more popular ones. When using B and I a speech user cannot tell that the creator of the website wanted to emphasize the content within those tags. However, if EM and STRONG are used, the speech browser will know that the developer meant these to signify something and will interpret that accordingly, whether the user has it set up to read it louder, or maybe in a similar manner, it is up to them.

SitePoint Enthusiast cragthehack's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to mention people who are blind. Sounds silly? I'm in the middle of doing a project for the people with Aids Coalition. Their site must conform to the W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 - LEVEL: 2 no less. People with disabilites are online and browsing. Last week I sat through a demo (given by the Lighthouse for the Blind) of a braile browser. Trust me, it ignores a lot of the font tags.

You are better off sticking to CSS. Also, people can attach their own style sheet to their own browsers and there's nothing you can do about it. So be prepared.

Instead of using <b>text for headlines, try <h1> or <h2> instead. You can assigned them a style if you don't like the look of them. But, a braile browser will read <h1> as a heading and so on.

Turn off graphics and change your font size (too something really large.. like Times Roman 18px) in your browser and browse your site. You might be surpirsed.

Actually I'm getting a lot of work like this. This is my third project that I've had that had to meet these requirements.
    Last edited by cragthehack; Jul 10, 2001 at 20:36.
    - crag
    net geek for non profits and political campaings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks Nicky! i was gonna go w/ strong and em anyway, but your post sealed it.

the reason i was asking is because i'm making a guestbook, and maybe soon a forum, in PHP and i'm gonna use the BB Code tags like [ b ] and [ i ]. and i just wanted to know which HTML tag i should replace them with before inserting posts into the database. i want to get it right before i start so i won't have to go back and (try to) change stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i use <b> but never any of the others. i just don't ever run into a use for them.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As CragtheHack said it is a good idea to try and view your website like others would. I recommend that you download as many different browsers as possible and use them as testbeds.